Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The overweight page

TonyE is offline Member

The overweight

My wife is very overweight, and her doctor has given her the convention wisdom diet- low fat and has recommended cardio. Does anyone have experience with very heavy people having success using the primal blue print. I am having a hard time convincing her, because she respect doctors so much. I have lost weight and feel great but nothing spectacular. I am down 20lbs since December. My wife needs to lose around 80lbs to be healthy, would the primal blue print work or should she follow the Doctor because he is the "expert" I am kind of looking for a web page or success story of a very heavy person having success using the primal blueprint.

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member

jermicide is offline Member
    i am/was in the same "need to lose 80lbs" but then again, at 240, i carry it pretty well. i can tell you that once or twice a week of lifting heavy things for no more than 20 minutes, i've gotten sufficient exercise.

NO DOCTOR WORTH HIS SALT can look you in the eye and tell you a diet of vegetables, meat, and fruit is bad. you're cutting out the processed stuff is all. It's all in how you phrase it. (Doc, would a diet of organic veggies, meats, and fruit for around 1800 calories a day work?) that's what we're intended to eat, plain and simple..

mcasse is offline Junior Member
    Eat healthy foods and not be in caloric excess, exercise definitely accelerates weight loss too.

JStrick is offline Senior Member
    I've lost 80+lbs so far.. theres plenty of people who were very over weight doing this.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    I've dropped about 90 pounds since August and I still have about 70 more to go. I did it eating Primally and not even exercising very much at all.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    There are many people here who have begun the PB needing to lose at least 80 lbs or more. If you go over to the Journal forum you could be reading our stories for days. I started last year with a total of 86 pounds to lose. I still have 55 to go, but I feel great, have more energy than I have in years, and I'm excited about the years ahead living with new health and vigor. Here's my journal if you and your wife want to see what's working for me: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ron-in-Seattle)

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Your wife's doctor is no 'expert.' Most doctors have--at most--a couple of weeks instruction in nutrition in medical school, and that's mainly the conventional American diet--whole grains, etc. that we all know is flawed. They are programmed to advise 'low fat' because that's today's conventional wisdom--and it's wrong.

Over the past few years, I've lost about 160 lbs (down from 340). Most of that was before I discovered primal, but I was eating very much like primal with low carb, no processed foods. In fact, the only change I made with primal was substituting almond butter for peanut butter (my only 'treat'). I'm hypothyroid, so I have my blood checked every 4 months. Not only have I lost weight, but all my blood values are great, and at age 68, the only Rx I take are for my thyroid.

This is the healthiest way of eating for your wife--and for everyone.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyE View Post
    My wife is very overweight, and her doctor has given her the convention wisdom diet- low fat and has recommended cardio. Does anyone have experience with very heavy people having success using the primal blue print. I am having a hard time convincing her, because she respect doctors so much.
    What about *not* convincing her but instead just making it happen? Is there time in your schedule to make meals? The diet is primarily vegetables (visually anyway...not in terms of percentage of calories) so it seems that simply preparing food, she'd be unlikely to be averse to eating non-starchy produce with some meat.....

And get her some vitamin D asap - **in the absence of daily midday summer sun** with nearly full body exposure and no s/s, to the point just before burning, most will need 1000 IU vitamin D3 daily per 25 lbs body weight. Do test levels though to double check.

p40 TPB
    "The gathering of berries and other fruit, leafy greens, primitive roots, shoots and other vegetation, nuts and seeds provide the bulk of Grok's food supply." (emphasis mine)

p110 TPB
    see food pyramid: based on his writings in the book and online, and the evidence available regarding a primal diet or diet in our environment of evolutionary adaptation, in terms of volume, indicates that significantly more nonstarchy plant matter makes up food intake than does protein or fat....though in terms of percentages protein and fat dominate as they are more calorically dense

p.112 TPB
    "'it may take some acclimation to center your diet around vegetables....snip....Dont follow the example of restaurants that serve skimpy vegetable portions seemingly just for decoration; serve yourself heaping portions that crowd everything else on your plate" (emphasis mine)

p.111
    "Plant foods..naturally promote a beneficial balance between acidity and alkalinity..inyour bloodstream. Almost all cells prefer a slightly alkaline environment to function properly, but many metabolic processes, including the normal production of cellular energy, result in the release of acidic waste products. The buildup of acidic waste is toxic to your body so ti works very hard at all times to preserve a slightly alkaline environment, measured by the familiar pH levels."

All the best,
    Katherine
    Last edited by cillakat; 05-04-2010 at 08:19 AM.

kimmie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jermicide View Post
    NO DOCTOR WORTH HIS SALT can look you in the eye and tell you a diet of vegetables, meat, and fruit is bad. you're cutting out the processed stuff is all. It's all in how you phrase it. (Doc, would a diet of organic veggies, meats, and fruit for around 1800 calories a day work?) that's what we're intended to eat, plain and simple..
    I COMPLETELY agree with this.

I've lost 30 lbs so far (15 on Atkins, 15 more on PB) and feel better, look better and have more energy than I've had in years. I've got 30 more to go and it's PB all the way for me. My recent physical showed perfect numbers on everything except my Vitamin D, which I'm working to improve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast