Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a little help page

Whitestone1550 is offline Junior Member

Need a little help

Primal Fuel
    I have been doing Paleo for several months now and have been seeing extremely good results. I have lost over 20 pounds and people around me are very curious how I did it. This includes my girlfriend who just started roughly 1 week ago. I really want her to see some success on this diet, but she has seen no drop in weight since starting. Are there any tips I can give her that will specifically help a woman on this diet? What works for me isn't working the same for her and I'd really like for her to be successful with this.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitestone1550 View Post
    I have been doing Paleo for several months now and have been seeing extremely good results. I have lost over 20 pounds and people around me are very curious how I did it. This includes my girlfriend who just started roughly 1 week ago. I really want her to see some success on this diet, but she has seen no drop in weight since starting. Are there any tips I can give her that will specifically help a woman on this diet? What works for me isn't working the same for her and I'd really like for her to be successful with this.
    IF and VLC does not work for nearly as many women as it does for men. Also, it's only been a week for her. So give it time.

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    Give it at least 30 days before judging "results" by the numbers. Stick to clean, healthy food, some HIIT and lots of sleep, and I'm sure the drop in weight will follow. Sometimes it takes the body a bit to rebalance to normal homeostasis.
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I've been having great results on IF, but I wouldn't suggest it to anyone who isn't into this WOE.

RuthGV is offline Junior Member
    If I don't stay hydrated I find I hold on to a lot of excess water, which makes it difficult to see fat loss on the scale. Drinking plenty of water each day really helps me. Also focus on measurements rather that the scales. I didn't lose anything on the scales for just over a week, yet I was losing inches, then the next week there was a 4lb weightloss on scales. I've stopped using the scales so often now and know I'm losing because I can feel it! Also kettlebells are great!

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    For me, it takes a minimum of 3 weeks from any diet change to start consistently losing weight. Until then I drop 2 lbs, and hang out there for a while. For some women, it takes time to see results on the scale, but other positive results show sooner. Sleep is better, energy different, maybe less puffiness/bloating. This is not a quick fix, so sometimes need to hold on for the ride.

Also, My experience is that no matter the quality of the food, I MUST control calories to see movement on the scale. I know others will argue that, but that is my n=1. Primal and unrestricted cals will maintain, but I need to keep to a tight calorie control to move the scale down, and also do regular exercise.

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    While I agree that she may just need some more time to see results, here are some other things to consider:

1- Does she really have much weight to lose? Or is she trying to drop just a few "vanity pounds"? If it is the latter, then she's going to have a hell of a time losing it, regardless of what diet she tries. She can blame hormones for that.

2- When you say what is working for you isn't working for her, what exactly do you mean? Is she eating the same foods and amounts as you? As a woman, she may need different foods/macros than you, and she almost assuredly needs fewer calories. Did she jump right into IF before she was ready? Trying to IF before you are fat-adapted is a disaster.

3- Has she read the book and/or the website, or is she just going off what you are telling her? Some people who are on primal/paleo really exaggerate certain aspects ("I can eat bacon all day long!") and give others a very skewed perception of what this really is. Have you been this person?

4- Is she cheating? Relax, I mean on the diet, not on you. No real way for you to know this, but it is something to keep in mind. I know people who swear up and down they are faithful to whatever diet, but then they are hitting up the vending machine every chance they get.

Whitestone1550 is offline Junior Member
    @Everyone

I appreciate your responses. I figured time would be the most important thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Badkty22 View Post
    While I agree that she may just need some more time to see results, here are some other things to consider:

1- Does she really have much weight to lose? Or is she trying to drop just a few "vanity pounds"? If it is the latter, then she's going to have a hell of a time losing it, regardless of what diet she tries. She can blame hormones for that.

2- When you say what is working for you isn't working for her, what exactly do you mean? Is she eating the same foods and amounts as you? As a woman, she may need different foods/macros than you, and she almost assuredly needs fewer calories. Did she jump right into IF before she was ready? Trying to IF before you are fat-adapted is a disaster.

3- Has she read the book and/or the website, or is she just going off what you are telling her? Some people who are on primal/paleo really exaggerate certain aspects ("I can eat bacon all day long!") and give others a very skewed perception of what this really is. Have you been this person?

4- Is she cheating? Relax, I mean on the diet, not on you. No real way for you to know this, but it is something to keep in mind. I know people who swear up and down they are faithful to whatever diet, but then they are hitting up the vending machine every chance they get.

Badkty,

1. Yes, she has a good 20 to 30 pounds that she needs to loose. It was only around 10 when we started dating and then she and I both started adding on weight. I started this to help me loose and the results have been impressive. She has a good deal more to loose than myself however.

2/3. I run a full primal regimen. Workouts and all. I don't count calories, just carbs per day. I have flirted with Paleo before, but I have never fully committed to the lifestyle like this. She has accepted this type of eating and has been following it rigorously. She has borrowed my copy of the blueprint and I told her to read chapter 4. She has been following that very seriously. She is on day 7 and actually went up a pound today. I would like to help her figure out how to get this off quickly so she doesn't get frustrated and give up.

As a side note, this is her first time and I told her it can take someone a new a while to get into fat burning mode.

4. To my knowledge no.

My real question is how can I help her get this started off well so she can see some results instead of actually gaining. Are there things that are different that girls have to deal with than men when starting off and if so, what are they?
    Last edited by Whitestone1550; 03-21-2013 at 11:32 AM.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    It may be easy for her to overeat or not pay attention to being truly full or truly hungry in the beginning. I think you need to encourage her to pay attention to her body's signals and give it time. Remember that female-bodied people have different hormone fluctuations that can also affect weight gain/loss!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    If she tries to eat like you, she may end up eating too much without realizing it. When my boyfriend follows my example and eats like me he loses weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast