Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Determining Calories to Loose Weight page

FireFinder is offline Senior Member

Determining Calories to Lose Weight

Primal Fuel
    When googling around to find a calorie calculator, I come up with lots of different numbers. Can anyone recommend a reliable calorie calculator?
    Last edited by FireFinder; 03-21-2013 at 08:27 AM.

Lose, not loose.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    What Finnegans wake said.

I like this:
    Calorie Calculator - Scooby's Home Workouts

FireFinder is offline Senior Member
    oops. right. sorry.

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFinder View Post
    When googling around to find a calorie calculator, I come up with lots of different numbers. Can anyone recommend a reliable calorie calculator?
    They all vary depending on the formula they use. I always liked this one because you have some different options you can choose and it's not overbearing with options.

My Basal needs
    Maintenance 1700

here is a sample of me if I did 3 run of the mill workouts per week: just stay away from extreme fat loss numbers. a 500 calorie/day shortage is roughly 1 pound of fat/muscle loss per week.

Maintenance 2338
    CALORIES/DAY
    Fat Loss 1870
    CALORIES/DAY
    Extreme Fat Loss 1424
    CALORIES/DAY

advice on zig zagging

Maintenance Fat Loss Extreme Fat Loss
    Monday 2338 1871 1424
    Tuesday 1871 1497 1424
    Wednesday 2806 2245 1709
    Thursday 2338 1871 1424
    Friday 2105 1684 1424
    Saturday 2572 2058 1567
    Sunday 2338 1871 1424

or if you are fond of intermittent fasting then work the calories out around your fasts. I tend to get one 24hr fast in a week and an 18hr (lunch to breakfast)

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    No matter what calculator you use, ultimately you will have to make a decision down the line on whether its estimate was accurate, close, or far off. Your own body is unique, and online calculators are based on large numbers of people, not you specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    No matter what calculator you use, ultimately you will have to make a decision down the line on whether its estimate was accurate, close, or far off. Your own body is unique, and online calculators are based on large numbers of people, not you specifically.
    This.

Calorie counting was helpful for me to get a rough idea of what was going on but I never found it sustainable, e.g., I used it for about a month as I noted macros and total calories and determined portion sizes. But now my eating is intuitive: eat good foods until full; snack less, and incorporate occasional intermittent fasting, as desired.

Part of the problem of calorie counting is the issue of absorbtion. Nuts are high-fat, highly caloric, but much of that fat simply passes through and is excreted. So trusting the calorie count based on heat released from burning nuts in a lab is inaccurate. This actually may be the case with many fatty foods, as noted by the folks who eat a lot of coconut oil and suffer from loose stools, if you'll pardon the observation: not all of it is taken up by the body.

I think obsessive calorie counting runs counter to the ultimate goals of Primal. Knowledge is good; obsession and orthorexia, not so much.

Yana is offline Junior Member
    Not myfitnesspal. Since I started PB two and a half weeks ago it's been yelling at me how I need 500 calories less, twice as much carbs, half the fat, and much less protein. It tells me that if I continue eating like this, I'll stop fitting through the door soon. My scale and measuring tape tell me a different story. It has a good food database, though.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    Not myfitnesspal. Since I started PB two and a half weeks ago it's been yelling at me how I need 500 calories less, twice as much carbs, half the fat, and much less protein. It tells me that if I continue eating like this, I'll stop fitting through the door soon. My scale and measuring tape tell me a different story. It has a good food database, though.
    MFP is ridiculous. I don't find its calorie targets realistic, either. But you can set your own custom calorie goals and macro ratios. I also never click on the "complete today's entry" where it tells you how much you will weigh.
    Last edited by unchatenfrance; 03-21-2013 at 10:28 AM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I've always used Fat Secret. It doesn't have all those warnings I'm reading about here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast