Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Determining Calories to Loose Weight page 2

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    No matter what calculator you use, ultimately you will have to make a decision down the line on whether its estimate was accurate, close, or far off. Your own body is unique, and online calculators are based on large numbers of people, not you specifically.
    Yep, once you dial things in you can even put away those kitchen scales and measuring devices. Many ways to go about calories.

FireFinder is offline Senior Member
    yeah, honestly counting calories is a huge pain in the ass for me- it seems so not exact because i tend to make food and eat it and i guess i'm too lazy to measure my olive oil before pouring it on my salad, or put my butter in a measuring spoon before it goes in the pan or determine if my apple is big, medium or small. but, i gotta drop a few lb's so something needs to get tightened up!

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFinder View Post
    yeah, honestly counting calories is a huge pain in the ass for me- it seems so not exact because i tend to make food and eat it and i guess i'm too lazy to measure my olive oil before pouring it on my salad, or put my butter in a measuring spoon before it goes in the pan or determine if my apple is big, medium or small. but, i gotta drop a few lb's so something needs to get tightened up!
    I'm trying to lose some vanity pounds and for that counting is key for me. Once you measure for a few days you'll be able to tell what's a tbsp of butter, a medium apple, etc, so you won't have to physically measure every single thing before logging it in, especially for things like vegetables (ie. 2 cups vs 3 cups of greens is something like 10 calories' difference, big whoop).

Marinas Florin is offline Senior Member
    I also wrote a guide on how to calculate your calories, it's pretty simple: How Many Calories Per Day Should I Eat To Lose Weight?
    No Bull fat loss and muscle gaining at http://www.nobsbb.com

I am not a bodybuilding/fat loss/strength training "guru" BUT I achieved a lean state with ease after learning the correct way to train and eat and I want to HELP YOU achieve the same.

Lose Weight/Gain Muscle/Strength - FEEL BETTER

Start here: http://www.nobsbb.com/new-start-here/

otzi Guest
    You'd better read this: There Is No Such Thing As A “Calorie” (To Your Body) - GNOLLS.ORG

The sooner you get the notion of 'calories' out of your head and start thinking about eating good food that doesn't make you fat, the sooner you'll have the body of your dreams (or as close as you can get!).

Takeaways
    There is no biochemical system in our bodies whose input is a “calorie”.
    The food we eat has many possible fates, only one of which approximates the definition of a dietary “calorie”.
    The fate of a “calorie” of food depends completely on its specific molecular composition, the composition of the foods accompanying it, and how those molecules interact with our current metabolic and nutritional state—our satiety.
    Therefore, the concept of the “calorie”, as applied to nutrition, is an oversimplification so extreme as to be untrue in practice.
    Therefore, the concept of “calories in, calories out”, or CICO, is also unhelpful in practice.

The health-supporting fates of food involve being used as raw materials to build and repair tissues; to build enzymes, cofactors, and hormones; to build bile, mucus, and other necessary secretions; to support “good” gut bacteria, while discouraging “bad” bacteria; and, once all those needs are taken care of, providing energy sufficient to perform those tasks (but no more).
    Therefore, we should eat foods which are made of the raw materials we need to perform and support the above functions.
    Biochemical individuality means that the optimum diet for different people will differ—as will their tolerance for suboptimal diets.
    However, eating like a predator—a diet based on meat, fish, shellfish, vegetables and fruit in season, and just enough starch to support your level of physical activity—is an excellent starting point.
    Live in freedom, live in beauty.

JS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JulieReeves is offline Junior Member
    For weight loss i didnt do much exercise but i cut down on my calories per day, when doing this i lost a stone in a month, just cutting down on food, makes a very big difference

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Nobody needs to count calories, you can count portions instead, and subtract foods and/or add exercise! A calorie budget gives an indication where to start though...

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    The sooner you get the notion of 'calories' out of your head and start thinking about eating good food that doesn't make you fat, the sooner you'll have the body of your dreams.
    ^ Yes

oxide is offline Senior Member
    How long have you been primal? Calorie counting doesn't work until you've been fully primal for a month or so.
    I don't bother with calculators. Here is the extent of my delving into calorie counting:

Method 1:
    Sedentary woman: 1500
    Active woman: 2000
    Sedentary man: 2000
    Active man: 2500
    If you're shorter than average, subtract 20%. If you're taller than average, add 20%.
    Example: I'm a short sedentary woman. 1500-20% = 1200.
    Example: Mark is an average height active man: 2500 cals. (which he posts as his typical day)

Method 2:
    Roughly calculate your lean mass in pounds. That's the number of carbs, protein, and fat you should be eating.
    Example: I weigh 101 lb, about 80 of it is lean mass. I eat 80g protein, 80g carbs, 80g fat. 1240 calories.
    Example: I don't know Mark's weight, but if I assume 175 lb and 6% fat, that's 165 g each p, f, c, 2680 calories (should probably adjust macros for more fat fewer carb).

Use as a baseline to calculate about 2 days of menus and try for two weeks. If you're still hungry and you're not gaining, add food. If you're too stuffed or you're gaining, subtract food.
    Last edited by oxide; 03-25-2013 at 04:56 AM.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Diechipmunk is offline Junior Member
    I know calorie counting is not ideal, but I did loose my first 35lbs tracking my caloric intake.

I found weight watchers on line and Live Strong's MyPlate work most accurate for me, both around 1700 calories. I've checked out several others that add as much as 1000 calories to my daily estimated need. With WW and MyPlate, if I was good about keeping at, or under, the goal, I lost. If I trended over, I did not, so I lean to trusting their estimates.

I'd been plateaued for close to a year when I started attempting PB, and I dropped 5 almost immediately. I still need to keep an eye on my calories because, although my diet is much closer to primal, it's far from perfect and I still eat when I'm bored. Tracking what I eat keeps me from straying too far.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast