Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pregnancy Foods To Ease Nausea page

Rad_Harrell is offline Junior Member

Pregnancy Foods To Ease Nausea

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys.
    My wife and I are expecting round 2 in November and while I've scoured the Forum for a consolidated list of foods to help ease nausea, I could not find one. We've been Primal for over a year and the results are nothing short of amazing (and life giving). With that, my wife is in a "all bets are off" mode regarding her nausea, which means consuming anything to make her feel better. So crackers, etc. have snuck back in to her diet. I want to be part of the solution and hope, through your collective wisdom, to present her with some Primal options that will help her....So, here we go-

Pregnant ladies (guys weigh in with tips too), what foods have found help with nausea but still fit Primal?

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    I found I had strong aversions during each pregnancy - during the first one (at the beginning) if I even looked at cream or fat I would retch uncontrollably. Throwing up my fish oil capsules was so horrible that I actually stopped my capsules for a few months until the nausea subsided. The most important thing about food was to have some ready at all times - even at 3 in the morning. Preparing food or going to the grocery store made me vomit too, so having a husband who would do all the shopping and a lot of cooking and leaving a lot of food around that is instantly ready to eat helped. Working full-time I couldn't exactly stop in the middle of a meeting to go throw up every day, and having something to sip all the time really helped. It isn't primal, but low-sugar waters (like vitamin water) watered down by half REALLY helped for those long work meetings where I couldn't exactly run off to the bathroom, or sucking on altoids sours (again, not primal, but the tangerine flavored ones are very small and a tin will last you a month). Pregnancy is a hyperinsulinemic state - triglycerides go up, you are supposed to put on a 7 pound cushion of fat for breastfeeding anyway (which never disappears until after you stop breastfeeding, by the way - the baby is weaned, and the next weekend your butt shrinks. Very strange! Anyway...). My OB recommended citrus - maybe carrying around a bunch of oranges and using that instead of the vitamin water or altoid sours? It wasn't the actual amount of sweet that was important - it was the sensation of having a bit of something that really helped.

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    Big hugs for your wife. I will get better. I found the peppermint tea helped alot. I drank gallons of the stuff. (no sugar) Lemons helped too. Eating them and also the smell of them. I would put lemon oil on my chest so I could smell it all day. Another thing that seemed to work was not mixing liquids ans solids. So, if I drank something I didn't eat food with it.

I never did it while expecting, but ginger seems to help me now.

kimmie is offline Senior Member
    A big dose of sympathy for your wife. I had hyperemesis during my pregnancy and was so sick that I lost weight, was in ketosis all the time from lack of food and dehydration, had to get IV fluids every few weeks and had to wear a zofran medication pump 24 hours per day (had to sleep and shower with it attached to me). Nothing food related helped me so I don't have much advice, just lots of sympathy

Prepping or buying food for anyone else in the family made it worse and I couldn't stand to be around my husband while he ate....so if you can help with those things I'm sure it would be nice for her.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2047064
    Obstet Gynecol. 1991 Jul;78(1):33-6.
    "Vitamin B6 is effective therapy for nausea and vomiting of pregnancy: a randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled study.
    Sahakian V, Rouse D, Sipes S, Rose N, Niebyl J.
    Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City.
    Abstract
    Fifty-nine women completed a randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled study of pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6) for the treatment of nausea and vomiting of pregnancy. Thirty-one patients received vitamin B6, 25-mg tablets orally every 8 hours for 72 hours, and 28 patients received placebo in the same regimen. Patients were categorized according to the presence of vomiting: severe nausea (score greater than 7) or mild to moderate nausea (score of 7 or less). The severity of nausea (as graded on a visual analogue scale of 1-10 cm) and the number of patients with vomiting over a 72-hour period were used to evaluate response to therapy. Twelve of 31 patients in the vitamin B6 group had a pre-treatment nausea score greater than 7 (severe) (mean 8.2 +/- 0.8), as did ten of 28 patients in the placebo group (mean 8.7 +/- 0.9) (not significant). Following therapy, there was a significant difference in the mean "difference in nausea" score (ie, baseline - post-therapy nausea) between patients with severe nausea receiving vitamin B6 (mean 4.3 +/- 2.1) and placebo (mean 1.8 +/- 2.2) (P less than .01). In patients with mild to moderate nausea and in the group as a whole, no significant difference between treatment and placebo was observed. Fifteen of 31 vitamin B6-treated patients had vomiting before therapy, compared with ten of 28 in the placebo group (not significant). At the completion of 3 days of therapy, only eight of 31 patients in the vitamin B6 group had any vomiting, compared with 15 of 28 patients in the placebo group (P less than .05).(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)"

Based on the study, I'd encourage B6 supplementation - in the middle of a meal/snack - crackers or whatever.
    Set a timer....never let 90 minutes pass without eating.

Once she gets enough B6 in her system, and maintains blood sugar by eating very frequently, chances are that she'll be able to start better tolerating protein and fat again - and some veggies....though others may have to simply wait until the 2nd trimester.

Please have her doc/mw test her 25(OH)D levels via LabCorp....or you guys can order the home test from ZRT. There are issues with Quest's D test and this is just too important. I posted in Maba's journal, information from the AAP and a few other sources regarding the importance of optimal levels of vitamin D during the fetal period.....talk about gene expression...this is where it starts

K

jostle is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations, we ourselves are 18 weeks into our first pregnancy and everything seems to be going good. My wife never really had problems with nausea and we only eat primal foods at home.
    When we found out, I got her stating to drink raw grass fed jersey milk and she has mentioned a couple times that the milk soothes her stomach. The milk is also good for making smoothies.
    Her go to meal (almost daily) is usually scrambled eggs cooked in coconut oil with some sort of meat or spinach.
    One big thing that I think helped is for you to make the meals and keep the general life stress down for her. I make most of our meals and try to make 2-3 meals at a time just to give her options. Making multiple meals saves time by allowing you to just take out portions during the week for lunch.
    Soups are also good and usually help to calm her stomach. Once a week or every two weeks, I make a simple broth in our large crock pot on the 10hr setting using grass fed beef bones, spices, and veggies. Then freeze this in smaller containers. You can later add water, more spices, veggies, and meat to make soup.

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    I didn't have extreme nausea... never even puked... however, when I did get nauseated anything with extra salt seemed to help (chicken noodle soup to be exact... and it was a "GROSS" one... but it worked.. Ginger also helps... You can make your own ginger tea... you can add lemon if she can toloerate.

And mint/peppermint helps almost instantly... I used altoids... the "curiously strong mint"... I think it's basically sugar and mint.. no other weird ingredients.

ehstrauss is offline Junior Member
    22 weeks here....oranges and tomatoes were what I went for in the first trimester (and, I'll say, tons of brown rice, but given how long you and your wife've been primal, that probably would do more harm than good for her). Now it's meat, liver and avocados. I think every woman is different, but I do think as long as women don't use pregnancy as an excuse to eat total crap, they should really listen to their cravings, esp. if there is an extreme nausea issue. I would honestly just encourage her to go with any (broadly defined) healthy craving. If water crackers help, eat 'em. 2 months of a higher carb load may be exactly what her body needs. The hard part will most likely pass as she enters her 2nd trimester. But, if it doesn't she should speak to her Dr. about med/supplement options to allow her to function. B12 was mentioned....a friend goes on a combo of B12 and a mild sleep aid (forget what its called but it's targeted for morning sickness...I can ask her if you want the name and post back) for the first 20-24 weeks of every pregnancy (she's now on her third pregnancy) because she gets such horrid nausea. On her first pregnancy she mentioned, well into her 2nd trimester, that she was still nauseated, and her Dr. was surprised, like "still? really?" and put her on this med, which calms things down enough that she can function. Since then she has taken it for all her pregnancies starting around week 8 when the nausea starts, and says it makes it possible for her to keep food down.

Rad_Harrell is offline Junior Member

Hugely helpful!

This is great info, thank you all. Perhaps some of this is simply permission to add carbs (crackers mostly) to her diet. I'll look into the B supplements as physiologically that makes sense to me. Keep it coming!
    What a great community. Thank you again.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    "B12 was mentioned....a friend goes on a combo of B12 and a mild sleep aid (forget what its called but it's targeted for morning sickness...I can ask her if you !"

B6 rather than B12. Though B12 is fine, it won't likely improve the nausea.

The combination treatment is B6 and unisom. It does not appear to be more effective than B6 alone
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unisom
    "Unisom is the Chattem brand name for an over-the-counter sleep-aid medication. While marketed under a single trademark, the active ingredient may be one of two drugs, depending on the type of preparation. Doxylamine succinate is sold in 25 mg dosages as tablets, and diphenhydramine hydrochloride is sold as tablets, and also in liquid/gelatin preparation in dosages of 50 mg.

Unisom (Doxylamine) has been known to treat a pregnancy condition called hyperemesis gravidarum, a severe form of morning sickness. For extreme cases, a doctor would normally recommend 2 pills per day: 1/2 (12.5 mg) in the morning, the same 6 hours later and a whole pill just before bed. Each dose of the Unisom is combined with a 25 mg dose of a B6 vitamin."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast