Thread: Coconut palm sugar page

Screamer is offline Member

Cool Coconut palm sugar

Shop Now
    So we don't really eat sugars that much unless we're making treats, but we came across Coconut Palm Sugar and just presumed it must be better than normal sugar and ok to use considering it's a coconut natural product.

Just checking if anyone knows anything different and also to let people know about it if they didn't know already

Obviously all in moderation!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I don't think it's any better for you, but the taste is certainly different. More complex. I actually ate a big oval chunk last week when I needed a sugar fix. Tasty stuff.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    I have read that this will not be a good idea for the coconut industry. Apparently, harvesting the palm sugar precludes coconut production. I consume a lot of coconut so I hope the palm sugar fad doesn't catch-on.

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/co...palm_sugar.htm

Well your point is definitely a valid one! I mean, i'd have coconuts and all the other coconut products over coconut sugar anyday. Lets hope it doesn't come to that!!

But that didn't answer my question exactly as to whether it actually is any better than normal sugars for you to consume. To be honest, i've only seen one packet of it in our local whole food shop, and haven't seen it being sold anywhere else in the UK so far?

I will definitely be considering whether to buy it again or not though.

Thanks Damiana. I guess at the end of the day it is still sugar...

Omni is offline Senior Member
    My partner gets it because of the whole organic thing etc., but I really don't think it is all that different nutritionally.
    If you don't have some ethics issue, just getting plain cheap sugar will give you some spare $$ to invest in other more nutritious foods.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    I think the functional differences between most types of natural sugar are far smaller than the similarities.