Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 whole avocado every day? page

Bukawww is offline Senior Member

1 whole avocado every day?

Is it optimal? Even if my goals include weight loss? How does it fit into the optimal Omega spectrum?

I am trying to put together a list of meals I can pick from each day - I often run out of time to think up a great primal meal. Then I get ravenous and panicky...not good.

In order to get my calories and fat ratios in, its looking like 1/2 an avocado with 2 meals will fill in the blanks (one with a hamburger patty, tomato slice, and 1/2 cucumber - the other with a salmon fillet or as part of a chicken 'fajita' primal style).

Any thoughts? I need to get this nailed down...I often over analyze things and I need to get this out of the brain so I can concentrate on other things (or rather STOP concentrating on so much lol).

Here's a sample day:

1: Protein shake (1/2 before morning walk/sprints, 1/2 after while I cook breakfast)
    2: 1 egg/2 white scramble with a bit of green pepper/onion, 2 strips bacon. Sprinkle of cheese opt.
    3: 4oz Beef patty, 1/2 avocado, 1 slice tomato, 1/2 cucumber
    4: 4oz chicken 'fajitas' (green pepper/onion), sour cream (opt), 1/2 avocado, salsa OR 4oz salmon fillet and 1/2 avocado
    5: 4oz ground beef, veggies (my picks are usually grilled asparagus or steamed broccoli)
    OPT 6: 1 pc 85% chocolate (its the highest I can find)

Lillian is offline Member
    Avocados are a great way to get in fat, but they are a little carby. Around 11g for a med sized one. If you are not too worried, then I don't see why you shouldn't eat it. For me, they actually make me crave more carbs, so I don't really eat it every day. If you are trying to add in fat, why not just cook your meats w/ more fat (butter, lard, CO, etc) ?

And can I ask why you are eating 5-6 times a day?

FrankOcean is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian View Post
    Avocados are a great way to get in fat, but they are a little carby. Around 11g for a med sized one. If you are not too worried, then I don't see why you shouldn't eat it. For me, they actually make me crave more carbs, so I don't really eat it every day. If you are trying to add in fat, why not just cook your meats w/ more fat (butter, lard, CO, etc) ?

And can I ask why you are eating 5-6 times a day?
    Just a quick point, they are also high in fiber, so the total carb for an avocado is about 3, 4 gr .

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    For most people this probably isn't a problem, but as someone who has managed to become intolerant of a range of foods, I avoid eating anything 'every day'. I think there may also be something to support that in evolutionary terms, both because supplies would run out and no veggies or fruits would be available all year round.

Avocados also appear to suppress insulin production, which may look like a good thing on the surface, but I would be a little wary of messing with anything in the blood sugar area on an ongoing basis:
    http://www.avocadosource.com/WAC2/WAC2_p025.htm

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    Just out - some interesting info on how a sugar (Mannoheptulose) in avocados raises blood sugar, so perhaps one every day really isn't such a good idea...
    http://www.blog.sethroberts.net/2010...s-blood-sugar/

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankOcean View Post
    Just a quick point, they are also high in fiber, so the total carb for an avocado is about 3, 4 gr .
    Not to be nit-picky, but PB counts total carbs. Atkins counts net carbs.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankOcean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kuno1chi View Post
    Not to be nit-picky, but PB counts total carbs. Atkins counts net carbs.
    +1

To the OP, I find it most helpful to track a few days worth of food data in nutritiondata.self.com

It'll give you Ω3:Ω6 ratios, cals, macro ratios and just about every micronutrient ratio possible.

I'd *really* reexamine eating 5x per day.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    You might consider batch cooking so you don't have the issue to begin with. Spend sat or sun or part of both preparing meals for the coming week(s). You can even do something like BBQ an entire beef or pork shoulder, which will not only provide an awesome weekend meal, but leave you with enough meat for several sittings afterwards. Requires a freezer, though.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by racingsnake View Post
    Just out - some interesting info on how a sugar (Mannoheptulose) in avocados raises blood sugar, so perhaps one every day really isn't such a good idea...
    http://www.blog.sethroberts.net/2010...s-blood-sugar/
    It's hard to argue with the evidence, but Wikipedia mentions a study that suggests that Mannoheptulose actually helps control blood sugar. Maybe this is a case where rat metabolism differs from human, who knows. Time for more research!

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just want to echo the concept of eating less meals per day. It's really freeing. I came from the mindset of 5-6 meals per day and I found that I was not just thinking about food, I was obsessing about it. "When can I eat next? What can I eat? What if I'm busy and I miss my chance to eat? foodfoodfoodfoodfood!!!" I have scaled myself back to 3 meals, and I find my mind is less on edge about the food thing. Maybe it could work for you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast