Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BTW I'm still gaining weight page 2

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    To be honest, if you are a competitive athelete to the degree you describe you are probably pretty lean, as this level of cardio (as well your lowish calorie intake) probably means you don't have much muscle tissue. Since you are now eating primal and more protein you are gaining muscle mass which you are not used to. That is why you feel fat. This is Paula Radcliffe:

paula%20radcliffe&.jpg

And this is Rebeccas Addlington:

draft_lens2125493&#1.JPG

Maybe you are lean like figure 1, in which case you probably feel fat looking like figure 2 (even though Rebecca has a lovely slim figure).

Just a thought.

For those who don't know they are British olympic athletes.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Actually this is probably a better example because she is a sprinter and you can see how much more muscle mass she has than the marathon runner. 070624_jones_vmed&#.jpg

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Wait. I'm sorry but unless she suffers from severe insulin resistance, there is no way that an average of 1400 calories a day presents a caloric excess.

Tri - if you are measuring or weighing everything prior to inputting into trackers then I'm inclined to suggest you need to get more calories and from anti-inflammatory foods. Especially if you're training and competing. Alternatively - I was a huge underestimater in terms of my daily caloric intake - could it be possible that you're underestimating?

emmie is online now Senior Member
    I you are as active as you seem and only eating about 1400 cal a day and gaining--you need a medical check up as soon as possible. It could be a thyroid problem, but be sure to go to a doctor who will not only check your TSH, but your T4 and T3 as well, and is good at diagnosing thyroid (I mention this because I went undiagnosed for 5 years, and my story is similar to that of many other women.)

Let me offer you an example of the power of the thyroid hormones.

When I was finally diagnosed hypothyroid and medicated, all went well for a few years with regular check ups and blood tests. Suddenly I got tremendous fatigue and gained 10 lbs in 2 weeks, even though I was eating at the same level at which I had been steadily losing. I was frantic because I 'knew' my thyroid was OK.

Fortunately, I had one of my regular check ups scheduled for the following week, and my T3 was lower than the lab range. Once I got my meds adjusted, I was again able to lose, although those 10 lbs came off as slowly as any other (I was hoping they'd just melt away:-)

Your thyroid controls your metabolism, and even a slight decline in hormones can result in weight gain.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    ok....just my input... i think you eat fine and could stand to eat a lot more given your activity... i 'think' your body is holding onto everything your giving it whether it is in the form of muscle or not, because you are so active. it is not, evolutionarily speak, 'normal' for a woman to be as active as you are. your going to bulk up eating primal and strenuously working out, esp swimming. if i were you and didnt want the bulk you speak of, then i would tremendously back OFF all the exercise.

it is often overlooked, but it does NOT TAKE MUCH to gain muscles, hence the hard sessions that dont last long, 2-3 times a week style promoted here...

so in a nutshell i think your to active not in a bad way, but in a way that your body is going to give you the results of keeping it that active...i hope this makes sense

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Do you have a realistic view of what you should weigh and look like? Many people don't. http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-f...-fat-chart.php may give you a better idea of what your "ideal" weight (based on safe bodyfat levels) actually is.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

trikate is offline Junior Member
    super good info here. Thank you everyone

I do not think of myself as fat. I don't worry about it that much. I only care when I can't fit into my clothes. Honestly, that makes me "feel" fatter faster than anything the mirror gives back to me. I think most of us can agree with that.

I hold muscle easily. In all honesty I look a lot more like that sprinter picture than Paula Radcliffe even with all the endurance. There is a "bod pod" coming to our gym in 2 weeks and though there's a price tag to it, I'm thinking of doing it for the BF and metabolism measure.

I have done the thyroid tests-everything comes out normal. the only thing semi abnormal with my blood tests was that for a fasting blood test of 12 hours I had a glucose level of 100 which they said was high.

I realize I do way more cardio than PB suggests. it just seems backwards to me that I clean up the diet and I gain weight. I go back to CW eating my gluten and insulin producting foods and I lose it-I just feel like crap-thats a pretty big tradeoff!

I am not overestimating my food. I measure and weigh and am careful about how I enter the portion sizes. I'm lucky to hit 1400 cals. I'm with Suki on that one-there is no way this is too much with what I do.

MalPaz probably has it right but I'm full a lot. I have trouble getting more in. If I add more fat, I add more weight. Its ridiculous. Maybe I need to play with the ratios? There was an athlete on here once who was going to experiment with adding more starchy veg. to increase carbs because this was happening to her too. she had done well in the past with that and thought it might help. I wonder what happened with that.

I don't have an accurate way to track BF so that stinks cuase that would help a lot. I am 5'5, 133-which is around 21 BMI. not discounting that its a good normal number. Just don't like to see things going in the wrong direction. I'm good with just keeping the status quo!! I started PB around 126

emmie is online now Senior Member
    You say that your thyroid tests came out 'normal'--that's what doctors told me for 5 years when I was hypo the entire time. Do you know your TSH, T4, and T3 numbers? If you don't, then you don't know whether or not you are 'normal.'

That high glucose reading is also interesting, since hypothyroidism untreated will raise blood glucose. Many undiagnosed hypos wind up being diagnosed as type 2 diabetics down the road when the real problem is their thyroid.

Finally, in Hashimoto's thyroiditis (the most common kind), it is common for a person to have symptoms well before the blood values are at abnormal levels.

I'm not saying you're hypo; I just want to point out that, as many, many women have discovered, it's a complex issue.

trikate is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    You say that your thyroid tests came out 'normal'--that's what doctors told me for 5 years when I was hypo the entire time. Do you know your TSH, T4, and T3 numbers? If you don't, then you don't know whether or not you are 'normal.'

That high glucose reading is also interesting, since hypothyroidism untreated will raise blood glucose. Many undiagnosed hypos wind up being diagnosed as type 2 diabetics down the road when the real problem is their thyroid.

Finally, in Hashimoto's thyroiditis (the most common kind), it is common for a person to have symptoms well before the blood values are at abnormal levels.

I'm not saying you're hypo; I just want to point out that, as many, many women have discovered, it's a complex issue.
    The ultra senstitive TSH was 1.99 with a range of .40-4.2 as normal
    T4 .64 with a range of .61-1.45

no other tests besides those were done for that. this was also over a year ago.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Your T4 is barely in range. Since it's been over a year I would suggest being retested. This time request TSH, free T4 and free T3. I would also want glucose retested since "they" said your levels were high a year ago.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast