Thread: Skim Milk page

Vega is offline Member

Skim Milk

Shop Now
    I read this today and thought it was interesting. Kids drinking skim milk ended up being more likely to gain weight than kids drinking whole milk. They're saying maybe the advice that kids over 2 should drink skim might need to be reevaluated.

Skim milk may not lower child obesity risk - CNN.com

I saw that too. ... my thoughts were that 1) they aren't being satiated with skim milk and 2) more sugar in skim milk.

Of course, other explanations can be that only parents with disordered eating give children skim milk and are fat phobic.

nburgraff is offline Member
    Nice article! Skim milk also has a greater insulin effect in the body which would explain the weight gain too. It would be interesting if there was a long term study looking at the kids who drank the skim milk and the onset of diabetes in these kids in the long run...

Lumifer is offline Senior Member
    I vaguely remember a paper, I think it was a long-term study involving women somewhere in Europe or Aus/NZ, which showed that people using fat-free dairy products (skim milk, fat-free yogurt, etc.) were noticeably sicker puppies than those who didn't.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I think the issue is not just with skim milk, but the bigger picture. Parents who are foisting a low fat diet on children in general aren't doing those children any good. The mentality that a fat free cookie is better for a child than a chicken leg with skin or a juicy burger is more likely what's making children fat rather than any one food.

FWIW, I often use fat free Fage (no extra carbs), but lard, bacon grease, schmaltz, coconut oil, avocado oil, and butter all grace my fridge and freezer.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mandypandy2246 View Post

Of course, other explanations can be that only parents with disordered eating give children skim milk and are fat phobic.
    i hardly think that buying into cw low-fat dogma equates with disordered eating.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

whitebeak is offline Junior Member
    That article is great. Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by whitebeak; 04-07-2013 at 08:33 AM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    i hardly think that buying into cw low-fat dogma equates with disordered eating.
    There really are supposedly intelligent people out there who put their little kids on a fat-free low calorie diet to keep them from growing up fat. The kids end up getting diagnosed with failure to thrive when they end up at the bottom of their age group with stunted growth. Those are the ones.