Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What to tell those who claim being vegan is "heart healthy"? page

AntonioCal is offline Junior Member

What to tell those who claim being vegan is "heart healthy"?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Many people tend to argue that being vegan is "heart healthy" because it is generally very low in fat. But we all know dietary fat does not equal body fat. Vegan diets, however, also tend to be pretty high carb, which is not favorable at all. So what is the argument against "low-fat vegan = heart healthy"?
    22 year old male in Pittsburgh. Primal since 9/12.

jackmormon is online now Member
    As a recovering vegan, I will tell you that for most vegans, veganism is an ideology. By nature, ideologies are not based on common sense, rationality, etc. Therefore a rational discussion about the science of nutrition is highly unlikely to occur. This isn't all vegans of course, but I would bet the majority near your age. You will most likely offend them. Best bet it is to get them asking you questions when they notice how (truly) healthy you are living a Primal lifestyle. (For many vegans in their early 20's veganism is just a phase/attempt to be cool and/or an attempt to cast a veil of legitimacy over an eating disorder.)

QueenOfTheDwarrows is offline Junior Member
    tell them that they're wrong about thinking that (healthy) animal products are bad for your heart.

bdlee73 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackmormon View Post
    As a recovering vegan, I will tell you that for most vegans, veganism is an ideology. By nature, ideologies are not based on common sense, rationality, etc. Therefore a rational discussion about the science of nutrition is highly unlikely to occur. This isn't all vegans of course, but I would bet the majority near your age. You will most likely offend them. Best bet it is to get them asking you questions when they notice how (truly) healthy you are living a Primal lifestyle. (For many vegans in their early 20's veganism is just a phase/attempt to be cool and/or an attempt to cast a veil of legitimacy over an eating disorder.)
    You are 100% correct. Food lifestyles are like politics - you'll never get anywhere arguing logic (primal) vs. emotion (vegan). I'd just say that you disagree, it works for you, and people are free to eat what they want.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Tell them that St. T. Colin Campbell deliberately misinterpreted the data he used to write The China Study, and give them this link full of analysis debunking it.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Barnard, Essylstyn and Ornish have had success reversing heart disease and diabetes. I think Ornish uses fish oil though, the first 2 are vegan but they're very very strict and compltely free of all oils and refined carbs.

Ljphalen is offline Member
    People's beliefs about food aren't really about food. I never really know what to say, I think the best thing is to just be a shining example and love them anyway.

Zach is offline Banned
    Just dont argue with people about diet. No ones opinion will change and most of the time you will both be wrong.
    Last edited by Zach; 03-20-2013 at 05:29 PM.

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    You can send your vegan friends this video; a long-term vegan admits it's crazy and explains why...

The Vegetarian Myth - YouTube

AntonioCal is offline Junior Member
    I'm more interested in why a vegan diet is not heart healthy than actually seeking out arguments about it...
    22 year old male in Pittsburgh. Primal since 9/12.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast