Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What to tell those who claim being vegan is "heart healthy"? page 5

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Pritikin had no known history of depression and was doing well right up until the late stages of his leukemia, which he kept in remission for over 20 years. I'm sure there's many that feel depressed on his diet, but I'm sure you'll find just as many or more on low carb diets. Dr atkins had heart disease and hypertension when he died.
    Verify please,

As far as I'm aware there was no autopsy on Aitkens and he died of a head injury which put him in a coma for a week before death.

So there is questions on both,
    Stick to verifiable info:
    Pritikin died at 69 of Leukaemia.
    Atkins died at 72 of head injuries.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    No, Pritikin died via suicide when he was in the very late stages of Leukemia and was ill.
    Atkins did from head injuries but he had known heart and medical problems leading up to his death as documented in his leaked autopsy report. Whether it contributed to his fall and death is speculation.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    No, Pritikin died via suicide when he was in the very late stages of Leukemia and was ill.
    Atkins did from head injuries but he had known heart and medical problems leading up to his death as documented in his leaked autopsy report. Whether it contributed to his fall and death is speculation.
    Yeah, meant to note Pritikens suicide,
    But as for Aitkens there was no autopsy, it was simply an external and medical history assessment, but the leaked report was into the hands of a vegetarian organisation so details coming from that are questionable without viewing the actual report.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    There was reports of his heart and other health problems leading up to his death. He did claim they were not related to his diet though.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    There was reports of his heart and other health problems leading up to his death. He did claim they were not related to his diet though.
    The same bogus "reports" claimed Atkins was grossly obese although he had been slender throughout his adult life. I never heard anyone say previously that he actually said reports of his death were greatly exaggerated. That was Mark Twain.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
    Beta carotene, for most people, becomes vitamin A? Sure, it varies on the person but at high levels in foods like carrots, kale, and other vegetables I would bet most vegans are just fine.
    B12 is necessary for conversion, as well as thyroid function, liver, species of carotenoid, lipids, etc; The conversion rate is estimated at a paltry 21:1 ratio.

Beta carotene itself is an unsaturated fat, which is anti-thyroid, and an excitant with numerous ill effects on the body.

Carotenosis is a good way to test for symptoms of an under functioning thyroid.

also lol @ these low carb dogmatic propagandists willing to lay down everything for their heroes.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

grokgramma is offline Member
    Atkins did indeed have heart problems, but it was not caused by diet, but by inflamation from an infection. Just like leukemia, it can happen to anyone. To link Atkins heart attack to his diet would be just as wrong as linking Pritikin's leukemia to his diet.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    B12 is necessary for conversion, as well as thyroid function, liver, species of carotenoid, lipids, etc; The conversion rate is estimated at a paltry 21:1 ratio.

Beta carotene itself is an unsaturated fat, which is anti-thyroid, and an excitant with numerous ill effects on the body.

Carotenosis is a good way to test for symptoms of an under functioning thyroid.

also lol @ these low carb dogmatic propagandists willing to lay down everything for their heroes.
    I agree with what you are saying about beta carotene. But what's up with the snarky remark at the end? I don't see the main focus of this thread as low carb vs high carb but more about the vegan/vegetarian vs eating saturated fat and heart disease.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    I agree with what you are saying about beta carotene. But what's up with the snarky remark at the end? I don't see the main focus of this thread as low carb vs high carb but more about the vegan/vegetarian vs eating saturated fat and heart disease.
    Dunno, I just saw Atkins and assumed the worst. Honestly, I haven't really read this thread. Saturated fat is definitely protective of the heart though.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    All the vegans I've met have looked like shit. The dudes are weesh and sickly, the women either fat or stick-thin. Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that I, eating a primal diet, actually polish off more vegetables in a week than do many of these vegans.

"My lifestyle guru can beat up your lifestyle guru" would be my response, not scientific citations.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast