Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What to tell those who claim being vegan is "heart healthy"? page 2

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    It's not rocket science, the heart needs animal fat / saturated fat, and cholesterol. Eating vegis is good, but not getting fat-soluable vitamins is suicide.

The ex-vegan lady explains a lot in her video, she's pretty smart.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I'm thinking that a vegan diet low in processed foods will mostly be bad for the lack of nutrients in it- the fat-soluble ones such as A, D, and E, the B vitamins, etc, as well as the lack of natural omega-3 oils (I don't think the plant-based ones work quite the same way).

Thinking about it, most of the "heart healthy" is based on the misconception that fat causes heart disease. In reality, it is injuries and inflammation of the blood vessels that then have to heal over. If the vegan is avoiding things that cause the damage and getting all their nutrients, I can't see why a vegan diet wouldn't be healthy.

That being said, veg* can be very difficult for a lot of people to do properly without becoming malnourished.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I just listened to a podcast with Denise Minger who was a Vegetarian/Raw Vegan for most of her life discuss vegetarians/vegans and heart disease. You can find some of her analysis here.

Vegetarians and Heart Disease: Will Ditching Meat Really Save Your Arteries? | Raw Food SOS

On the podcast with Sean Croxton of Underground Wellness during the Paleo Summit, Denise Minger mentioned that one of the oriingal pioneers of the vegan movement Jan Dinshah, died recently of heart disease. Despite following the raw vegan principles in which he incorporated for 40+ years, heart disease still got him.

Jay Dinshah was the founder of the American Vegan Society. He died in 2000 of a heart attack at age 66.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._Jay_Dinshah
    Last edited by Balance; 03-20-2013 at 06:20 PM.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

joe2.0 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Barnard, Essylstyn and Ornish have had success reversing heart disease and diabetes. I think Ornish uses fish oil though, the first 2 are vegan but they're very very strict and compltely free of all oils and refined carbs.
    Most of the numbers I've seen don't support that they have reversed diabetes. While I think most will see improved numbers by taking any path outside of sad, particularily if it results in weight loss, the numbers I have seen don't reflect anything close to diabetic reversal. I see a lot of a1c's in the 6's which to the ADA is great but to most its a failure.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Katherine nailed it.

Plant foods are lauded as being good for your heart because they are low in saturated fat and cholesterol, but saturated fat and cholesterol aren't the actual cause of heart disease.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    just punch them in the taint and be done with it because no one is changing anyone's mind
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

AntonioCal is offline Junior Member
    Thanks guys! Definitely going to check out those links.
    22 year old male in Pittsburgh. Primal since 9/12.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Essylstyn's study on heart disease showed reversal with all that stuck with it. Same with Ornish's. Only a few of them used statins when they couldn't get their Ldl below 70 or total below 150.

Nathan pritikin suffered heart disease on the SAD diet of the 50's and reversed it with his low fat diet. His autopsy showed he had clean arteries by the time he died.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    If low cholesterol leads to an early death, I'm gonna live forever...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast