Thread: Purchasing 2nd kettlebell-- same weight for doubles or go heavier? page

Dickson is offline Senior Member

Purchasing 2nd kettlebell-- same weight for doubles or go heavier?

Taking a break from barbells to work on mobility after an injury, I've switched to kettlebells/bodyweight exercises at home and am loving it. I bought a 35lb/16kg bell, and it's been great learning the movements.

I am self-taught (or taught via WKC on youtube), and can't yet do a snatch correctly. I'm also finding "upside down" kettlebell work pretty challenging, I can't hold it for very long. That said, swings with the 35lb aren't doing much for me in the terms of strength and I can strict press it probably 50+ times. I'm a pretty large male (6'3 235lbs), but still pretty raw in the terms of training.

Now though, I am considering buying a 2nd bell. The Play It Again Sports near me has great kettlebells at prices that are hard to beat, with no shipping. Bought the 35lb for $55.

I'm wondering, am I better off buying a heavier bell (20kg or 24kg?) or should I buy a 2nd 35lb bell to work on doubles? Sorry if it is a stupid/redundant question, I'm fairly new to kettlebells.

Thanks!

If you only have one bell, it's probably going to be light and bouncy for some exercises and possibly too heavy for others. That's just natural -- it doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong. For instance, in general (depending on how many reps of each we're talking about), I can swing heavier bells than I can press. I'd also use a heavier bell for something like a one-arm row than I'd use for a Turkish get-up. So I think it's worth having multiple sizes of kettlebells before investing in doubles of the same ones. You can get a hell of a kettlebell workout without doing doubles of anything.

I'm not sure what you mean by "upside down" kettlebell work... like when you hold the bell for a goblet squat?

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member
    I would go with the next size up so you can swing it until your form improves with the 35. If you are pressing it 50 times you should be snatching it so you might want to go a little further than youtube university. KB can do some good things for your body and they get allot bigger so it will take a while before you tap out in terms of progression.

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    I'm thinking of doing the same, regarding getting some more doubles, as well, (already have 2x16kg's) if you can afford it I'd do both!
    As an aside, I believe that kettlebell swings are more of a conditioning not a strength exercise?

Cheers

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Yes, the swing is for conditioning, but I believe strength as well. I started at barely comfortable with a 8kg swing, but now 2 years later I swing a 34.1kg...don't get me wrong, I'm wiped out. I guess what I am saying is conditioning and strength aren't mutually exclusive.

As for if OP wants to do doubles or multiple sizes, I would build skills on variety. Then go back and double up the sizes. Of course, make sure your form is correct. I workout at a kettlebell facility, so have the advantage of a very critical Russian trained coach.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Dickson is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I think I will go with a heavier bell to add variety.

By "upside down work" I meant bottom-ups, I forgot the term. It's essentially where you balance and hold the kettlebell upside down

There is a pretty good Kettlebell Club / RKC about a half hour from me that I am hoping to drop by soon for some extra pointers. As far as snatches go, I read from Pavel that they are a more intermediate to advanced work-- he suggested nearly a year of practice with the basics (swings/cleans/holds) before mastering the snatch, but that may be excessive.

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickson View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I think I will go with a heavier bell to add variety.

By "upside down work" I meant bottom-ups, I forgot the term. It's essentially where you balance and hold the kettlebell upside down

There is a pretty good Kettlebell Club / RKC about a half hour from

me that I am hoping to drop by soon for some extra pointers. As far as snatches go, I read from Pavel that they are a more intermediate to advanced work-- he suggested nearly a year of practice with the basics (swings/cleans/holds) before mastering the snatch, but that may be excessive.
    Go for something in the 45lb range for swings/presses now. Work on your snatch with the pood.

JimmyDamage is offline Senior Member
    I would recommend getting a 55lb bell and after that a 70lb. KBs are most effective used alone in my opinion. I would think they are no more useful, and way more expensive, then regular DBs when used together. Tons of great workouts with singles. Swings, Clean and Jerk, Turkish Get ups, goblet squats, jumping squats, to name a few. How are you swinging the KB? Russian (parallel to the ground) or American (locked out overhead)? I 100% agree with taking a few sessions with an instructor so you can learn the moves properly as well.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The Turkish Get up would be a great one to build up to with your now "small" kettlebell. The Get Up is a great all around exercise...even if you do it with no weight..
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer