Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Why I love calorie counting! page 5

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Do your research, I will not spend any time seaching diets for you about what is generally common knowlegde, and I don't think anything that I come up with will convince you anyway! People that denies that a calorie deficit works for weightloss are similar to those that still believes that the earth is flat, no argument whatsoever will convince them, so why bother?
    And yes, ALL diets works when creating a calorie deficit, the cookie diet, juice fasting, waterfasting, PSMF, paleo, atkins etc., etc., ad infinitum...

People have been waterfasting for up to an year with great results, so why should a 800 kcal deficit on a twinkie diet be worse than that?
    You have no research whatever to support your claim that this is an effective diet in a real world situation. The fact that people in a hospital have lost weight on a water fast of any length is irrelevant.

But you admit as much.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Reality is, I could present multiple real-world studies and tests, but that still wouldn't satisfy anyone. There's no point in citing any research or literature, when one is already dedicated to a particular belief.

I don't believe that touching an open flame can burn my finger. Show me one real world study that proves it will burn me if I do.

Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    Reality is, I could present multiple real-world studies and tests, but that still wouldn't satisfy anyone. There's no point in citing any research or literature, when one is already dedicated to a particular belief.

I don't believe that touching an open flame can burn my finger. Show me one real world study that proves it will burn me if I do.
    Really, you could present multiple real-world studies that showed people losing weight, getting down to their ideal weight, and keeping it off indefinitely while eating only cake, but you're not going to?

That is an extraordinary claim.

And you make up some sort of BS to support this claim?

Like I said, it wouldn't matter or change your opinion if I presented you a study. You have just as much access to all of the studies that any of us do. You pick the ones that support your position, and you ignore the ones that don't.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Like I said, it wouldn't matter or change your opinion if I presented you a study. You have just as much access to all of the studies that any of us do. You pick the ones that support your position, and you ignore the ones that don't.
    and likewise for your own opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    and likewise for your own opinions.
    Yes, we have all done this at one point or another. However, I have become more open-minded in my old age. It will forever be a learning process.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Yes, we have all done this at one point or another. However, I have become more open-minded in my old age. It will forever be a learning process.
    A scientist once told me how depressing his profession can be, because no matter how watertight your hypothesis is and no matter how rigorously it is tested, at some point in the not too distant future it will be proven wrong.

Once you fall in love with your hypothesis, then progress of knowledge is halted, because as we all know "Love is Blind".
    Last edited by Omni; 03-22-2013 at 02:57 PM.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I guess that would have to depend on your definition of "works". How effective is it for losing weight in the real world, rather than in a laboratory? Is it a diet people can stick to, or do you blame the participants for "failing" when they drop out?

Of course on a "twinkie only" diet, weight loss would be rapid, seeing they are not presently in production anywhere.
    If you search "Twinkie diet", you can read about Mark Haub, nutrition science professor at Kansas State. There's a bazillion links with all kinds of commentary. He lost almost 30 lbs in 10 weeks, so I guess a junk food diet can "work".

But I'm not doing it, Otzi! Not even for science!

And ChocoTaco, Mr. CICO himself, going on about my metabolism goaded me into crunching some numbers to see if my data actually support a faster metabolism on a more nutrient dense diet. At 1st pass it looks like the opposite. But I have to cook some local pastured pork chops, so I'll be back later.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    But I'm not doing it, Otzi! Not even for science!
    Chicken...bawk, bawk, bawk

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    How long does one have to be Primal to be as skilled at mind-reading as you? You are making an extraordinary claim - that multiple studies exist showing eating nothing but cake is an effective way to lose weight and keep it off permanently for real-world populations. I get tired of reading here that I need to give up my analytical faculties and accept clearly made-up research claims uncritically.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast