Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I love calorie counting! page 4

otzi Guest

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Nope. A calorie is always a calorie. What varies is the health of a person's metabolism. That often is determined by vitamin and mineral repletion and proper hormonal balances. Get your soluble vitamins and minerals (from whole foods, not supplements), avoid toxins, make sure you're eating enough but not too much, exercise regularly, sleep well. CW has this idea right. The OP's issue wasn't calories but rather lack of nutrition.
    The only way to prove your point will be for the OP to eat nothing but Twinkies (I hear they are coming back) for the next 12 months at the rate of 1500 calories per day.

Are you up for it LauraSB? Come on, be a sport!

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    The only way to prove your point will be for the OP to eat nothing but Twinkies (I hear they are coming back) for the next 12 months at the rate of 1500 calories per day.
    That point has already been proved over and over again! Cookie and cake diets for weightloss works due to calorie restriction and is old news...

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    That point has already been proved over and over again! Cookie and cake diets for weightloss works due to calorie restriction and is old news...
    I guess that would have to depend on your definition of "works". How effective is it for losing weight in the real world, rather than in a laboratory? Is it a diet people can stick to, or do you blame the participants for "failing" when they drop out?

Of course on a "twinkie only" diet, weight loss would be rapid, seeing they are not presently in production anywhere.

otzi Guest
    An obese person eating a reduced calorie Twinkie diet would lose weight, but what would happen to a Primal Beast(ess) who has regained health, lost a lot of weight, and is eating super-healthy primal foods? My thought is that within a year, eating an average of 1500calories of Twinkie per day, this person would regain weight, look like crap, feel like crap, and have some medical issues--proving that 1500 calories X 365 of Twinkie is not equal to 1500 calories X 365 of real food.

otzi Guest
    Another thought here on LauraSB's amazing success:

She was not counting calories in the traditional sense, she was tracking her calories--two completely different things! In a normal calorie counting scheme, one aims for a specific calorie target each day, clearly she did not do that, she followed her "inner grokkette" and ate what turned out to be approximately 1500 calories per day.

I think the problem with traditional calorie counting, is that if you aim to eat 1500 calories per day, you will, and often more, due to poor labels and misjudgment, but you will rarely eat under 1500 calories a day, because you have a target in mind.

Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I guess that would have to depend on your definition of "works". How effective is it for losing weight in the real world, rather than in a laboratory? Is it a diet people can stick to, or do you blame the participants for "failing" when they drop out?

Of course on a "twinkie only" diet, weight loss would be rapid, seeing they are not presently in production anywhere.
    It "works" for weightloss, but like water fasting or the potato diet it is not something you are supposed to do for a very long time! But yes, you will lose weight in a calorie deficit by eating cakes, "twinkies" or potatos...

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    An obese person eating a reduced calorie Twinkie diet would lose weight, but what would happen to a Primal Beast(ess) who has regained health, lost a lot of weight, and is eating super-healthy primal foods? My thought is that within a year, eating an average of 1500calories of Twinkie per day, this person would regain weight, look like crap, feel like crap, and have some medical issues--proving that 1500 calories X 365 of Twinkie is not equal to 1500 calories X 365 of real food.
    A twinkie diet is not a healthy and sustainable way of eating of course, but it can be used for weightloss for some time if the dieter wants to try it, but for one year I wouldn't recommend it! And no, you would not regain weight if eating at maintainance, but the bodycompositon and health may be suffering after one year on twinkies only...

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    It "works" for weightloss, but like water fasting or the potato diet it is not something you are supposed to do for a very long time! But yes, you will lose weight in a calorie deficit by eating cakes, "twinkies" or potatos...
    Citation needed. Please show me a real-world experiment where people in a real-world situation (not a laboratory) followed this diet or one very similar, lost weight, and kept if off. There also has to be enough participants remaining at the end of the experiment to be significant, and exit surveys for those who drop out, to find out why.

What you are talking is purely hypothetical, "if they stuck to the diet" you figure "it would work". I don't count that as a diet that "works", if all the participants dropped out because they were unable to stay with it. Or if it has never happened once.

Kind of like the old joke where the surgery was a success, but the patient died.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Citation needed. Please show me a real-world experiment where people in a real-world situation (not a laboratory) followed this diet or one very similar, lost weight, and kept if off. There also has to be enough participants remaining at the end of the experiment to be significant, and exit surveys for those who drop out, to find out why.

What you are talking is purely hypothetical, "if they stuck to the diet" you figure "it would work". I don't count that as a diet that "works", if all the participants dropped out because they were unable to stay with it. Or if it has never happened once.

Kind of like the old joke where the surgery was a success, but the patient died.
    Do your research, I will not spend any time seaching diets for you about what is generally common knowlegde, and I don't think anything that I come up with will convince you anyway! People that denies that a calorie deficit works for weightloss are similar to those that still believes that the earth is flat, no argument whatsoever will convince them, so why bother?
    And yes, ALL diets works when creating a calorie deficit, the cookie diet, juice fasting, waterfasting, PSMF, paleo, atkins etc., etc., ad infinitum...

People have been waterfasting for up to an year with great results, so why should a 800 kcal deficit on a twinkie diet be worse than that?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast