Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I love calorie counting! page 2

Paleofan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    This is a great post. I have your same stats, and started just 6 lbs higher. But the biggest change was in my measurements when I lost some belly. Now at measurements of 36/29/36, I feel great. Not concerned about losing more weight as i like some curves and i like to eat and enjoy wine at times. And, I eat anywhere from1400 - 2200 calories per day, ususally at the higher end. I had to eat no more than 1500 pre primal just to maintain weight. Thanks for your post!!!

little vase is offline Senior Member
    I love seeing it all laid out in black and white. Or gray and blue, to be precise Thanks for the great visuals! I have to count calories too.

calee is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for posting your success. After a long time on low carb, I switched to reading PB on new years (after holiday gluten) and started eating primal. After years of 1000 calories a day, I am really afraid when I total 1400 calories a day. I do walk or hike an hour a day but still can't shake the fear of the scale going up again after decades of dieting to get it down.

The more posts I read about the healing properties of primal, the more I want to trust the process.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by calee View Post
    Thank you for posting your success. After a long time on low carb, I switched to reading PB on new years (after holiday gluten) and started eating primal. After years of 1000 calories a day, I am really afraid when I total 1400 calories a day. I do walk or hike an hour a day but still can't shake the fear of the scale going up again after decades of dieting to get it down.

The more posts I read about the healing properties of primal, the more I want to trust the process.
    Calee,
    I hear you on being afraid to increase calories. What is working for me right now (as usual, "right now" is always subject to change ) is having approx. 1200 calories a day for 4 or 5 days, and then upping the intake for a day or two to 2000, and then going back to 1200. I'm a short female so 1200 is a decent amount of calories for me. I up the intake every 4 or 5 days just to assure my metabolism that I'm not going into starvation mode, and of course to treat myself a bit. I lose 1.50-2 lbs a week this way right now and could lose more but honestly don't want to.....I think slow and steady wins the race. You're definitely approaching Primal the right way if you're willing to "trust the process". It's such a healing way of eating, and the weight loss will come when the time is right.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around the evidence that I'm one of those women who can eat a ton. Maybe not every day, but often enough to satisfy my random urges to pig out. I keep looking at the graph of my calories and thinking, "holy crap, that's amazing".
    I don't think you eat a ton. Your average daily calories are around 1,500. What your graph shows is as you transitioned more and more into the primal lifestyle, your metabolic rate increased. This is surely because you became more nutritionally replete. This is likely due to many factors - repletion in fat soluble vitamins, increased mineral content, less toxic fats, less inflammatory lectins from grains and legumes, better sleep due to a healthier diet...if you have before and after bloodwork, I'm sure your thyroid picked up.

I think most Americans are just extremely sedentary and have really unhealthy metabolisms from years of abuse with high polyunsaturated fat diets low in fat soluble vitamins A/D/E/K/K2 and low in essential nutrients like copper, selenium, B-3 and magnesium. I think the PROPER metabolic rate is very high, but we beat ourselves up so long by eating nutrient-poor foods, toxic fats, lack of exercise, lack of sleep, lack of sun and we walk around in state of chronic inflammation and it just adds up and crushes us over the years. Not to mention - get this - older people tend to eat MORE than younger people, even though their metabolic rates decrease as we get older. The average 50 year old eats more than the average 35 year old. Isn't that awful?
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

calee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    Calee,
    I hear you on being afraid to increase calories. What is working for me right now (as usual, "right now" is always subject to change ) is having approx. 1200 calories a day for 4 or 5 days, and then upping the intake for a day or two to 2000, and then going back to 1200. I'm a short female so 1200 is a decent amount of calories for me. I up the intake every 4 or 5 days just to assure my metabolism that I'm not going into starvation mode, and of course to treat myself a bit. I lose 1.50-2 lbs a week this way right now and could lose more but honestly don't want to.....I think slow and steady wins the race. You're definitely approaching Primal the right way if you're willing to "trust the process". It's such a healing way of eating, and the weight loss will come when the time is right.
    Thank you for this. I am only 5'4 so generally eat in the 1200 range. I am finding that I can eat around 1200-1300 and maintain if it's all primal. I am within 5-15 pounds of where I would like to be. Last year I hit a 45 year low of 142. Now at 147 I would like to get back to that as my jeans feel better at 142. I think 132- 136 would be optimal for me.

I've been experimenting with more fat, less fat, more carbs (50-75), more calories, less calories. It can be crazy making so I just want to let go of all that and focus on whether my plate is balanced primal healthful foods and whether I am really hungry when I eat.

LOVE the graph! so cool!!
    ‎"I've heard tell that what you imagine sometimes comes true " - Roald Dahl

“Keep making things and treating people well.”- Jason Gregory

"Don’t try to be different. Just be good. To be good is different enough."- Arthur Freed

5'6"
    24 year old female
    Current: Always between 115 and 119.
    Goal: Get ripped.
    My Journal

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    What your graph shows is as you transitioned more and more into the primal lifestyle, your metabolic rate increased. This is surely because you became more nutritionally replete. This is likely due to many factors - repletion in fat soluble vitamins, increased mineral content, less toxic fats, less inflammatory lectins from grains and legumes
    sounds like "a calorie isn't a calorie"...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I don't think you eat a ton. Your average daily calories are around 1,500. What your graph shows is as you transitioned more and more into the primal lifestyle, your metabolic rate increased....I'm sure your thyroid picked up.
    You're right that my average daily calories aren't that high. I was actually surprised to see how low they were considering the number of days I was eating over 2000 calories. But I don't think most women who "eat a ton" really eat a ton either. I strongly suspect that they eat quite modestly most days and that allows them to eat like a pig (and maybe drink like a fish) often enough that they just don't feel deprived.

As far as my metabolic rate, I'm not sure the data shows it increasing. My rate of weight loss did slow over time as my caloric intake increased. I debated about trying to plot that correlation, but I'm not sure I see anything there that suggests I will find any surprises. But if you really disagree, I'm willing to hear the argument. I'm sure that my low nutrient density diet prior to March 2012 made it easy to over eat calorie-wise. I just don't see that anything magic in regard to weight loss happened as I transitioned to primal. My conclusion that grains are a big-ass calorie sucker that will make you starving actually happened prior to that. The fact that my body fat was approaching a more normal % in that time frame is another confounding variable, imo. I do think my reduction in chronic, whole body pain was probably due to primal foods though, also my unbelievable mood stabilization.

I had a standard blood panel done about 5 years ago and my thyroid measure (whatever that was) was in the normal range. Actually, everything was normalish. It was quite a bummer to discover I had no detectable excuse for being fat, lol. I am overdue for a physical and all the associated testing, so that's on the agenda.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    I decided to pick up LoseIt after this thread and I like it SO much more than MFP already. :P I like graphs and charts!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast