Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you deal with living in a house where only you are primal? page

jaczor is offline Member

How do you deal with living in a house where only you are primal?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I live with my sister, her diet is bad even by CW standards. My pantry/kitchen is full of sweets, snacks, chocolates, donuts, doritos, coke, you name it.

And to add insult to injury, she's a pastry chef, so every once in a while I come to a house that smells like chocolate chip cookies, brownies, cake, etc.

The way I deal with it is first, I keep plenty of paleo approved food/snacks around, so whenever I have a craving I have a better alternative or something that isn't as bad (like cheese for example). However, very once in a while, I'm just not strong enough and I give in, in those cases I don't make a big deal about it and just go back to my normal diet afterwards like nothing happened (perfect is the enemy of good, right?).

Take today for instance: I walk into the kitchen and there's a box of glazed donuts on the counter (hmm, donuts, :drool, so got the hell out of there quickly and erased it from my memory, but later I found some caramel coated almonds..well, at least the almond part is paleo....damn it! so here I am, 10 nuts later and feeling a bit mad.

So, who else has this problem?

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Lots of us have this problem. (Well, it isn't much of a problem for me but it is for many.) You are doing a great job! Maybe sis would be willing to keep her non-primal stuff out of sight? The longer you are on Primal/Paleo, the less tempted you will be. Hardly any sweets even tempt me any more. Keep doing what you are doing.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    I know exactly how you feel! I started a thread not too long ago asking people how they did it, because I was finding it so hard. I live in a household of 8 people, and I'm the only Primal eater. It's very frustrating. I just have to remind myself that if I eat 'it', I'll feel terrible for the rest of the day. Plus, having an online journal here really helps. Really, really helps.

suzyq is offline Junior Member
    I have this problem. I take the view that that food is poison to me, if I eat it I am poisoning myself. This is partially true because I am gluten intolerant. Once I started thinking this way it became a lot easier to walk away from food I shouldn't eat.

johnmjoy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suzyq View Post
    I have this problem. I take the view that that food is poison to me, if I eat it I am poisoning myself. This is partially true because I am gluten intolerant. Once I started thinking this way it became a lot easier to walk away from food I shouldn't eat.
    This. This is especially so - even if not severely gluten intolerant - if you've ever done a "ok, we can go out for pizza, just this once" night, and felt like crap for two days afterwards.

Since I do a lot of the cooking, though, the others in the house are frequently eating primally as a consequence (whether they like it or not - and haven't gotten many complaints yet). But they'll still eat bread, and I have to dodge the chips and such in the pantry.

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    Susyq: Me too! I never used to be gluten intolerant or sensitive, but since going Primal, my body has flatly refused to accept any wheat at all. If I have even a mouthful of a muffin, or bread, then I have really painful bloating for the next 3 hours, plus diarrhea for 3 days.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I'm spoiled because I live alone. But for several weeks my sister has been with me recuperating from surgery--and she has a very SAD diet, including a lot of 'treats' for herself because she feels she needs them in 'recovery.'

I've just mentally 'fenced off' all her things. They are not foods I eat. Period. And I don't find myself at all tempted, especially when I actually consider 'my food' so much better!

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    Sort of on-topic: We had friends visit for a few days. When they left, there was an unopened bottle of Coke in the fridge. I looked into the fridge and there is was, looking as far out of place as I could imagine. Where the hell did THAT come from I asked my wife. I would have said the same thing if there had been a turd in the fridge. Neither strike me as food.

Sandman is offline Member
    Struggling with the same thing, myself. I notice that I can easily indulge in something without it bothering me. Simply return to my normal mode. However, lately I've noticed that one indulgence is very likely to result in another - even if I inevitably experience painful bloating or worse later.

Starting to think, that at this early stage (4 months in) that I should simply not allow myself those indulgences. I might do better with a philosophy of "that is not food" for myself. Who knows?
    My blog: Regular Guy Paleo and please feel free to "like" my Facebook page.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    My husband and daughter are in various degrees of not-so-voluntary primal because I am primal and I do almost all cooking and shopping so that helps. I haven't thrown out all non-primal stuff and I do make some white potatoes and rice a few times a week, but like Jules Winfield said in Pulp Fiction, "My girlfriend's a vegetarian which pretty much makes me a vegetarian." I'm primal so it pretty much makes them primal. Making a few primal treats hasn't hurt. Sunday it was chocolate coffee "donuts". I also made some snickerdoodles last week. I think my willingness to put bacon in almost every vegetable I cook hasn't hurt at all I use it more for a garnish and a bit of flavor rather than eating it by the pound. When trying to convert the resistant, bacon is your friend, as far as I'm concerned! I think the key is to be somewhat flexible, refrain from getting overly dogmatic and acting like a reverse vegan, make some good tasting food and be patient. I am noticing my daughter trying lots of vegetables she didn't like or wouldn't try before. This week, she's eaten butternut squash, cabbage, and summer squash/zucchini. That wouldn't have happened before. Good luck!
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast