Thread: Grinding meat at home? page

jodeyh is offline Member

Grinding meat at home?

Primal Fuel
    The other week, the 80/20 ground beef I got at Whole Foods had my husband questioning what they actually put in it because there was a ton of liquid in the pan after cooking. I figured it was just fat...but it did make me wonder. I mean, it's Whole Foods, so I don't think they are putting anything untoward in it, but I wondered what the meats they use are.

So of course I started wondering about grinding my own meat. What kind of beef would I use? What kind of meat grinder?

Does anyone do this or have information on grinding meat?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I have a meat grinder attachment for my Kitchen-Aid stand mixer. It's not too expensive if you have a Kitchen-Aid stand mixer, though I find I have to carve out the tough strips of gristle, which get tangled in the blade. Otherwise, I can't make recommendations.

I think chuck and shoulder have good flavor. Sirloin tip is more tender. Buy meat with fat in it. Round is way too dry and tasteless.

bdlee73 is offline Member
    I also have the Kitchen Aid and it works okay for the occasional grinding. if I really got into it then a dedicated grinder would be better and faster. And I agree that ground chuck would also be the best due to the fat content - sirloins are too dry.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I've recently been grinding small amounts of beef in my cheapie food processor. I've also done pork in it. It comes out okay. I'll probably invest in a meat grinder eventually since I really love cooking with ground meats but would like to control what goes in them. I'd also like to start experimenting making my own sausages.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have a Kitchen Aid grinder attachment, it works, but if you are going to grind ALOT of meat, get a grinder. I make my own sausage and have a manual grinder. It works pretty well, but it is a workout if you are going to grind more than 10 lbs of meat at a time. If you are going to start processing your own meats, get a good book on the subject. I recommend Stanley Marianski's "Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausage". It's a thick book that covers just about any meat product you want... hams, sausage, bacon yadda yadda. It also cover the food sanitation aspect very well, food regulations etc. They also have recipes for different kinds of sausage etc. It's a good reference.