Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suddenly Starving!? What gives? page

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member

Suddenly Starving!? What gives?

Primal Fuel
    Lately I have been STARVING. All. The. Time. Sometimes even within 20 minutes of eating my tummy is rumbling and begging for food again. I am not a snacker, I eat 3 times a day, and for a long time (over a year now) I've been perfectly content with that, often even IFing on weekends or busy work days with no serious hunger pangs.

For the past, oh, 5 days or so, I have been ravenously hungry. I wake up STARVING like a gnawing monster in my tummy at 2 am, I am hungry within minutes of breakfast. I started upping my food intake just to stave off the hunger yet it's still happening!

My food this week looks like this:

Breakfast: Sausage and egg quiche, 1-2 slices
    Lunch: Big Box romaine salad, chicken, hard boiled egg, dressing
    Dinner: Traditional Shepard's Pie, lamb and veggies in a savory sauce topped with home made mashed tatos

I drink between 40 and 80 oz of water a day, and occasionally have a couple squares of dark chocolate or a cookie at work.

Yesterday I was so insanely hungry and almost blood sugar crashy (a feeling I haven't experienced since going Primal) that I decided enough was enough. I went to the store and bought a pound of bacon, a glass bottle of local full fat milk, a half dozen MORE eggs. I hard boiled them so I could have 2 eggs with my lunch salad, and fried up ALL the bacon and put it in baggies with my breakfast and lunch foods. I also bought fruit!

I ate about 3 slices of bacon AND a heaping serving of shepards pie AND about 8 ounces of milk at 8 PM... and at 2 AM I woke feeling almost nauseated from hunger.

So today for breakfast I had: I slice sausage egg quiche, 2 pieces bacon, 1 apple, 1 cup coffee, 16 oz water...

AND I AM FRELLING STARVING. Less than 45 minutes later. I honestly don't know how I am going to make it to lunch at 1. Wth is going on?

Other things about me you may want to know: I'm 29, female, 5'9", weigh around 310, perpetually trying for weight loss but not really making any progress there, entirely sedentary lifestyle (I doubt exercise would help my sudden hunger anyway :P), BMR is apparently: 2191.5 - I don't eat anywhere near that generally.

Note: last week I ate exactly the same menu, swap shepards pie for turkey/beef chilli, and did not have this problem.

>.<

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    If you're hungry, eat.

Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    If you're hungry, eat.
    Thanks for that, captain obvious. :P

I can't "just eat more" because A) I'm at work and school and the only food available is crap B) I'm already spending something like 100 dollars a week to feed myself the best quality fruits, meats, and vegetables and frankly I can't afford to eat more C) I am already eating more than normal, as mentioned.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    TOM? I usually have a few days before D-Day where I am a bottomless pit. I do not have cravings (except some chocolate), it's that my stomach keeps begging me for food. It gets to the point where I don't even know what to eat anymore. I just roll with it, and so should you as best as you can.

The body can be a b!tch sometimes.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I think there's something seasonal about it. I've been hungrier lately too. Maybe bring cheese or nuts to work?

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    Thanks for that, captain obvious. :P

I can't "just eat more" because A) I'm at work and school and the only food available is crap B) I'm already spending something like 100 dollars a week to feed myself the best quality fruits, meats, and vegetables and frankly I can't afford to eat more C) I am already eating more than normal, as mentioned.
    Well, I think there are three possiblities at work here...

1. You are not really hungry but just think you are - I think this is not true given you having been doing this a year and have a rumbling stomach etc (ie. real hunger not just thinking you are hungry).

2. You are not eating enough - a possibility (though I do not know your caloric/food needs). You could try adding in more eggs or other cheap primal foods to see if that makes a difference without breaking the bank. Of course, you would need to plan ahead for this contingency by having this food available at work and school.

3. You have some nutritional deficiency which is causing the body to crave food to fill said need - perhaps magnesium or god knows what. I have seen this idea bandied around a lot on the forums lately. Your body craves iodine or fat or someother macro/micro and thus you want to eat. Again, not saying it is true, merely that it has come up lately in various posts.

I know I have days where I can eat the ass-end out of a rhino. I will seriously be hungry all day. The last time it occured I ate something like 4,500 - 5,000 calories. It was all good, primal food but I really 'needed' food. That was about a month ago and has not happened since. Sometimes your body might just want a good gorge day. *shrugs - just one dude's opinion*
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    I used to get days like this. I just learned to deal with it and it passed. Clearly you are eating enough so you won't die of starvation.
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    I know I have days where I can eat the ass-end out of a rhino.
    OMG this made me snort with laughter, thanks. xD Yeah it's possible that I have some deficiency. I also take a multi vitamin but it's not a very good one, maybe I need to supplement more or something. I know I don't eat a very good variety of veggies nor do I enjoy organ meats or fish. That being said, I never have done those things and until now, did not have this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by unchatenfrance View Post
    TOM? I usually have a few days before D-Day where I am a bottomless pit. I do not have cravings (except some chocolate), it's that my stomach keeps begging me for food. It gets to the point where I don't even know what to eat anymore. I just roll with it, and so should you as best as you can.

The body can be a b!tch sometimes.
    This may be it. I think I am entering PMS days. Though in the past, PMS usually assaulted me with cravings and emo-weeping, maybe now it has decided I will just be HUNGRY FOREVER. :P

I am not rushing to the junk food, I am just not-so-silently suffering. xD

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    How long have you been primal and how much weight have you lost so far?
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

TriCiCi is offline Senior Member
    Are you used to potatoes in the evening (from your shepherd's pie) or other starchy veg? The remainder of your food looks pretty darn low-carb, so if the potatoes are a new thing, maybe they are messing with your hunger signals a smidge?

Also, you mentioned that you don't usually eat to your BMR, so maybe your body just needs some more food?

*WARNING - Alarmist and personal inquiry to follow*

Could you be preggo?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast