Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suddenly Starving!? What gives? page 2

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    Lately I have been STARVING. All.
    Well, you are NOT STARVING at your bodyweight, but you may feel that you are doing so! Make sure to get enough water into your body, around a gallon per day, and get rid of all prossessed carbs such as cookies! Also skip stuff like extra salt, spices, dressings and salsas etc...

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Pregnancy is not a possibility, thank the lawd. No I am not literally STARVING, allow me my hyperbole. xD Cookies are indeed bad, and I flog and punish every time I am weak and allow myself to eat even one, believe me. (hyperbole!)

I do tend to eat fairly low carb, and I've been trying to adjust carbs up a little, hence potatoes and occasional fruit. Potatoes in the evening is indeed unusual for me.

I've been primal for just under a year (though there have been times when I broke away from it, to my dismay) and overall I've lost about 60 lbs, but regained 15 to my current weight.

TriCiCi is offline Senior Member
    Try to not eat your starch in the evening and see if that helps. If you plan to adjust your carbs up (which is totally fine if it works for you) try eating the starchy stuff earlier in the day. I have found that including starchy stuff with breakfast/lunch keeps me going all day without any crashes or crazy hunger, but if I eat starchy stuff at night, the next day I feel like a bottomless pit.

Just my personal experience.

If you still have shepard's pie left, eat it for breakfast, and then your other meals for lunch/dinner. Might be worth the experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by TriCiCi View Post
    Try to not eat your starch in the evening and see if that helps. If you plan to adjust your carbs up (which is totally fine if it works for you) try eating the starchy stuff earlier in the day. I have found that including starchy stuff with breakfast/lunch keeps me going all day without any crashes or crazy hunger, but if I eat starchy stuff at night, the next day I feel like a bottomless pit.

Just my personal experience.

If you still have shepard's pie left, eat it for breakfast, and then your other meals for lunch/dinner. Might be worth the experiment.
    Interesting! It's worth a shot. I do have a serving left that I have in the fridge here to eat at the parking structure before I go into class. Maybe I can eat it for lunch and have my salad for dinner instead. =]

Bane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    I know I have days where I can eat the ass-end out of a rhino.
    Like, hyena-hungry??

(don't click that during a meal)

I'd have days like this too, where I'd just have to eat and eat and eat. At the time I was making sure it was all good food, but I'd just stuff myself like mad to get rid of the hunger. I'd usually end up with a few lighter days afterwards, I guess as my body was averaging things out on its own.

I also have this weird thing quite often though, where I swear I'm starving, and if I just ignore it and have some green tea, it ends up going away. (assuming I actually have eaten enough)

For me it's just one of those strange things that happens, and it's not always the same each time. *shrug*

janeen is offline Senior Member
    I'd guess you are really thirsty, rather than hungry. Forty oz of water is not much. I usually aim for 1/2 my weight (in pounds) in liquids (in ounces). So for a 300 lb person, that would be 150 oz a day.

Also, when I am eating a lot of fat and protein, I need more water than when I am eating more carbs.

Try hydrating more and see if you feel better.
    Janeen

Yes I perpetually refill my water bottle and glass throughout the day, especially now that I've been hungry. I only track water I drink during the work day because I have a 32 ounce bottle and an 8 ounce glass so I know exactly how much is going on there. I tend to drink lots of water at home also, but not typically a measured amount. We have all kinds of glasses and figuring out how much water is balls. :P

That being said, increasing my water intake is an ongoing improvement that I am working on because it makes my skin and hair feel better, so thanks for mentioning that. I am forever working to increase it.

This hunger I am experiencing is very strange. It is not a craving for anything specific, though yesterday I was having strong desires for fatty meat (bacon, pork butt, ribeye) and that's why I went out and bought bacon, specifically. =P Historically my cravings are very easy to spot and always revolve around some terrible thing like Doritos. Indulging this craving never ends well for me, so that I am not doing right now.

This is a pervasive feeling of hunger, complete with gnawing empty feeling, growling continuously for hours. All else seems normal, digestion, bathroom habits, etc.

*sighs @ self*

Thanks everyone for talking through this first world problem with me.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Are you on any medications? I notice that on primal my body keeps changing and adjusting. For example, for a while I was Potassium deficient and could take amost 1200mg / day with no problems. A month later and 400mg is enough or there are bad results. But in general you seem to be eating enough. Have you experienced weight loss before. Feeling hungry is not really a bad feeling, of course sugar crashing is.

The only medication I take is occasional Walgreen's Migraine Relief and heavy use of Ibuprofen on my time of the month. I am not on any prescription medication at all.

Yeah the blood sugar crash feeling is what really scared me, and prompted this thread. Last year I do lose a good amount of weight, and I was never this hungry through out that.

I just ate my shepards pie for lunch around 1 as someone else suggested, it took me about 20 minutes to pack it all away in my tummy and 30 minutes after that I am not yet feeling hunger pangs.

I will hope for the best over the next few days. =)

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    How much salt are you getting? Cravings are often a sign that you are lacking in something.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast