Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you donate blood? page

TrackMom is offline Member

Do you donate blood?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I used to be a regular blood donor. I haven't donated for a couple of years though. Too tired, too stressed, not enough time, didn't feel like it, etc.....

Now that I am feeling great, I want to go donate, but I am wondering if I should wait. To begin, I am in nutritional ketosis, and although it's working for me, I am wondering if it would be good for a sugar-burner recipient to received blood full of beta-hydroxybutyrate (keytones). Second, I am only 5 weeks into my journey, should I wait longer, and give my body more time to continue healing before donating?
    Goals:

Lose weight/fat!
    Get fit!
    Regain my health and energy!
    Run a marathon! (again)

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I say go ahead. I don't really see how it could be bad for you or the recipient. Many studies show benefit for the donor. Here is one:
    Iron stores, blood donation, and insulin sensitivi... [Clin Chem. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI

suzyq is offline Junior Member
    I donate. I am sure if keytones were an issue it would be in the literature they have you read before donation or they would test you for it.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    I donate. Go for it.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    your blood only adds a part to the the rest of the blood of the recipient so I doubt there will be an issue

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Nope, but I'm happy to sell my plasma.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Can't. I've got tiny veins, and the blood center told me to go home.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Do it regularly - don't think ketosis should affect the overall picture at all.

Paleobird Guest
    I live in a state of NK and I donate every 8 weeks. I think my keytones will probably be good for whoever gets them.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    ketones are not a factor, but i travel too frequently to europe now for them to accept my blood.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast