Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Do you donate blood? page 4

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Thanks for the very detailed answer in that one - I kinda imagined the did a 'in/out connection' and basically filtered out the plasma and put the other stuff back in (possibly with some saline...???)

Yeah I think you'd even want to drink whilst doing it

Also thanks to the other responses from everyone.

I might have one more question coming up - if i could continue the inquiry.....

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    Thanks for the very detailed answer in that one - I kinda imagined the did a 'in/out connection' and basically filtered out the plasma and put the other stuff back in (possibly with some saline...???)

Yeah I think you'd even want to drink whilst doing it

Also thanks to the other responses from everyone.

I might have one more question coming up - if i could continue the inquiry.....
    Not much moving around while it's "doing"... a big thing IN one arm, and OUT the other... being still is good.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

jdsimpkins is offline Junior Member
    I tried to donate last year. While filling out the questionnaire, I came across the question about ever having been in Italy between the years 1980 and 19##, which I had. That apparently disqualified me due to the potential of mad cow disease or something. I told them I never saw any mad cows on the base where I was stationed, but I had come across a few mad CWOs (Chief Warrant Officers). That didn't satisfy the requirement unfortunately. hrmph!

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdsimpkins View Post
    I told them I never saw any mad cows on the base where I was stationed, but I had come across a few mad CWOs (Chief Warrant Officers). That didn't satisfy the requirement unfortunately. hrmph!
    Pun recognised and appreciated

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdsimpkins View Post
    I tried to donate last year. While filling out the questionnaire, I came across the question about ever having been in Italy between the years 1980 and 19##, which I had. That apparently disqualified me due to the potential of mad cow disease or something. I told them I never saw any mad cows on the base where I was stationed, but I had come across a few mad CWOs (Chief Warrant Officers). That didn't satisfy the requirement unfortunately. hrmph!
    Same here, having lived in the uk during the same period.

A 2nd knockout is because I'm gay. Though the blood center goes to great pains to say they do not discriminate due to sexuality, but they won't accept male donors that have had sex with other males in the past 5 years. So nothing to do with being gay then...

Also tried to damage blood marrow, but they follow the same rules.
    Last edited by Misabi; 07-31-2014 at 11:13 PM.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

CaveBug is offline Senior Member
    I can't, not for another year anyway, I lived in a Malaria endemic region for a while. On my two year anniversary back, I am going to donate though.
    You are an animal on this planet and the rules of engagement are non negotiable.

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    I haven't given for a year as the last time I had low iron, but I have an appointment for the next time they're in town - end of August. 45 donations so far, so another 5 will get me a certificate/badge of some kind.

Misabi, over here they've just changed the rules over male/male sex. It used to be *never*, but a few years ago they changed it to not for 12 months, which I think is the same as tattoos and piercings.

And of course, no problem if you were eating beef during the BSE crisis (or there wouldn't be any donors left), but if you've ever received blood, then, no thanks as you might have got it that way.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Nellodee is offline Senior Member
    They won't take my blood either, for a couple reasons. Seems kinda silly.
    token vegetarian

piggy is online now Senior Member
    I donate blood (almost) regularly - at least twice a year. Most of the times I feel ok after but there were two that I felt a little run down for almost a week afterwards.
    I have never fainted or felt lightheaded when donating blood but I can certainly faint when I give blood for blood exams !!!!! Which is kind of funny since I have convinced my microbiologist to use the small needle (we call it a "butterfly"- I don't know the real term) when giving blood for labs. And I can also feel like fainting in any given day when getting up really quickly.
    As for nutrition, I bring some home made chicken broth to the donation centre. They are always glad that I have my own food with me. . .

ELizabeth826 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I have type AB+ blood... it's pretty much useless.
    I'm a universal receiver, but cannot donate whole blood to anyone but another person who is also AB+.
    If I donate whole blood it will basically sit in storage until it goes bad, or they can spin the one little pint for the bit of plasma that is in it, which isn't that much.

Now... what they prefered me to do is get hooked up to the plasmapheresis machine.
    It takes the whole blood out of one arm, filtered to separate the platelets and red cells, keeps the plasma, and puts the platelets and red cells back in the other arm.
    And it takes around two long farking hours. (I always took a movie with me to watch.)
    Not a lot of people are jumping up and down begging to give plasma.
    However! Donating plasma is a great thing just like whole blood... there is ALWAYS a need for it. Lots of folks in dire need can use the stuff... burn victims, organ transplant patients, premature babies, pediatric HIV patients, shock/trauma patients, etc.
    I figured it was a good thing to do since my whole blood was so basically useless...

I think they can take two entire pints of plasma by doing apharesis... it's a pretty substantial amount. (*Edit: I looked it up- average donation for a 150-175lb person is 750ml... that's pretty generous! A lot more than they would get from a single pint of whole blood.)
    Always two bags... whatever the liquid measurement was I'm not 100% sure, one was a half or so.
    And yeah, you gotta really HYDRATE after that, but the body replaces plasma very, very fast... within like 48 hours.
    AB Pos here as well! I have donated both blood and plasma in the past. usually plasma, (the blood bank will send me a letter asking me to come in for plasma), but every once in a while I'll see a blood drive being run near work and pop in at lunch. Last time I donated plasma, it was well under two hours, but maybe they take a smaller volume at my center? They also did in and out of the same arm which is nice because I can read or scratch an itch on my nose or whatever.

I have never fainted after giving either blood or plasma. I will sit for a few minutes and drink water, but often I don't snack. I don't know how snacking immediately afterwards is supposed to help exactly. Make sure you eat a bit extra of iron rich foods for a day or two before and after. It seems like fainters are either squeamish or dehydrated. Hydration is the most important thing.
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast