Thread: Do you donate blood? page 3

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I can't, I faint if I see blood.
    ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Question (As I have not donated):

Often you hear people given a snack and drink at the blood bank (normally sugar and grain based snacks) after donating blood.

Is the snack after donating blood highly advised by the blood bank? (do we need really need it - is a drink water or tea enough) - If food is required, do healthy eaters bring their own snack to eat (eg fruit or ,boiled egg + nuts) and drink provide tea/coffee without sugar.

What do you do?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    Question (As I have not donated):

Often you hear people given a snack and drink at the blood bank (normally sugar and grain based snacks) after donating blood.

Is the snack after donating blood highly advised by the blood bank? (do we need really need it - is a drink water or tea enough) - If food is required, do healthy eaters bring their own snack to eat (eg fruit or ,boiled egg + nuts) and drink provide tea/coffee without sugar.

What do you do?
    I usually bring a banana and just drink water. Coconut water is another good option for sorting out your electrolytes and getting re-hydrated.

My blood bank used to have nothing but doughnuts but now they have "healthywholegrain" granola bars and such. Baby steps.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I usually bring a banana and just drink water. Coconut water is another good option for sorting out your electrolytes and getting re-hydrated.

My blood bank used to have nothing but doughnuts but now they have "healthywholegrain" granola bars and such. Baby steps.
    Before my brain problems started a couple of years ago I gave blood, or rather plasma via the long and drawn out procedure because my blood type is pretty worthless LOL, very regularly.
    Even then my blood center kept fruit such as apples and bananas on hand.
    Also, from what I know of the situation most of what they have available as snacks is there due to donation support, so... not their fault. *shrug*

If your blood center doesn't have stuff you are willing to eat/drink ... take your own.
    A coconut water and banana/apple or Lara bar is easy transport and will keep the volunteers happy that you ingested something and aren't going to become faint and injure yourself after leaving.

IMO donating blood or plasma is worth that bit of extra effort.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    My donation center has coffee and sugar
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Patti is offline Senior Member
    My donation center has lots of sugary or other high carb snacks available. I always have my own along, even before I started primal eating. Most of the time I have a hard-boiled egg, cheese, and/or nuts. They're happy that I'm eating and I'm happy not to be eating junk.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Before my brain problems started a couple of years ago I gave blood, or rather plasma via the long and drawn out procedure because my blood type is pretty worthless LOL, very regularly.
    Even then my blood center kept fruit such as apples and bananas on hand.
    Also, from what I know of the situation most of what they have available as snacks is there due to donation support, so... not their fault. *shrug*

If your blood center doesn't have stuff you are willing to eat/drink ... take your own.
    A coconut water and banana/apple or Lara bar is easy transport and will keep the volunteers happy that you ingested something and aren't going to become faint and injure yourself after leaving.

IMO donating blood or plasma is worth that bit of extra effort.
    Yeah. The reason they insist that you sit down and have a snack is basically to make sure you aren't going to faint on your way to the car. I've been working on them with suggestions about healthier snack options. They now actually have little boxes of raisins. Making progress.

I have O neg blood so they always want me to do a whole blood donation, not the plasma. O neg is what they use in emergency room and neonatal units because it is the universal donor.

What is done differently when donating plasma as opposed to blood?
    I would have guessed that they just take the blood as normal and process it later.
    Why does it take longer? What do that do?

that = they

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I have type AB+ blood... it's pretty much useless.
    I'm a universal receiver, but cannot donate whole blood to anyone but another person who is also AB+.
    If I donate whole blood it will basically sit in storage until it goes bad, or they can spin the one little pint for the bit of plasma that is in it, which isn't that much.

Now... what they prefered me to do is get hooked up to the plasmapheresis machine.
    It takes the whole blood out of one arm, filtered to separate the platelets and red cells, keeps the plasma, and puts the platelets and red cells back in the other arm.
    And it takes around two long farking hours. (I always took a movie with me to watch.)
    Not a lot of people are jumping up and down begging to give plasma.
    However! Donating plasma is a great thing just like whole blood... there is ALWAYS a need for it. Lots of folks in dire need can use the stuff... burn victims, organ transplant patients, premature babies, pediatric HIV patients, shock/trauma patients, etc.
    I figured it was a good thing to do since my whole blood was so basically useless...

I think they can take two entire pints of plasma by doing apharesis... it's a pretty substantial amount. (*Edit: I looked it up- average donation for a 150-175lb person is 750ml... that's pretty generous! A lot more than they would get from a single pint of whole blood.)
    Always two bags... whatever the liquid measurement was I'm not 100% sure, one was a half or so.
    And yeah, you gotta really HYDRATE after that, but the body replaces plasma very, very fast... within like 48 hours.
    Last edited by cori93437; 04-12-2013 at 08:52 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast