Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you donate blood? page 2

halfbunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I donate since a few years.

What I noticed when I donated after 6 weeks of going primal was that my iron was lower than usual and my blood pressure was a bit higher (though still very healthy). The 2nd and 3rd time I donated after going primal, my iron level was super and my blood pressure lower than before! I also didn't suffer from fatigue but could bycicle home after donating 1/2 liter (17 fl oz). I did rest a bit after though.
    It could have been a transition period. It could have been summer

Paleobird Guest
    My iron level has been great ever since I got over my fear of liver and learned how to make pate'.

It is kind of nice to have those things monitored (BP and such) along with your donation. My blood bank offers a website where it keeps a history of all your numbers graphed out for you.

TrackMom is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    My iron level has been great ever since I got over my fear of liver and learned how to make pate'.
    Hi Paleobird. I have hated liver since I was a kid. My mom made it frequently and it was always dry, and the texture, yuck! Could you share your pate recipe, and how you serve it with me. Thanks.
    Goals:

Lose weight/fat!
    Get fit!
    Regain my health and energy!
    Run a marathon! (again)

TrackMom is offline Member
    Thanks everyone. I have booked an appointment and will be donating shortly.
    Goals:

Lose weight/fat!
    Get fit!
    Regain my health and energy!
    Run a marathon! (again)

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackMom View Post
    Hi Paleobird. I have hated liver since I was a kid. My mom made it frequently and it was always dry, and the texture, yuck! Could you share your pate recipe, and how you serve it with me. Thanks.
    There was a whole thread about it a while back.

Here ya go: https://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65193.html

Zeera is offline Senior Member
    I used to volunteer at the blood drives my old high school held every few months. I always wanted to donate, but I saw so many people pass out that it has been a fear of mine ever since. Has anyone here ever passed out from donating?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeera View Post
    I used to volunteer at the blood drives my old high school held every few months. I always wanted to donate, but I saw so many people pass out that it has been a fear of mine ever since. Has anyone here ever passed out from donating?
    No, but I have come close. I have donated ~24 times now I think, and only twice have I felt faint. In one case, I had just finished a tae kwon do demonstration and was likely dehydrated. In the second case, the tech messed up the needle and after a few minutes I heard him say something like "Uh oh, looks like we blew the vein" I looked over and there was a goose-egg on top of my elbow. I tried to act cool, but I was freaking out inside and got really dizzy/lightheaded.

Other than those two times, I have had absolutely zero problems donating and felt fine during and after. I always make sure to chug tons of water beforehand though.

Kata is offline Senior Member
    I passed out the first time I donated. I was fine until the nurse started taking the needle out, and then I started feeling kinda queasy, and I pulled my head up to tell my friend so, and the next thing I remember is a cold, wet cloth on my face. It wasn't painful or anything, I just fell asleep very suddenly.

Kata is offline Senior Member
    I should add that they were so disorganized at this particular drive that it took me several hours just to get into the chair. I had to miss lunch, so I was probably dehydrated.

Salixisme is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't, but only because the Canadian Blood Services won't let me (I was living in the UK during the time of the mad cow thing.... it doesn't matter that I was a vegetarian at the time, apparently I could be harboring the prions... sigh).

If I were allowed I would donate though.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Dr. Seuss

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast