Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting Considerably More Migraines Since Going Primal page 2

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canarygirl View Post
    In March I started following the PB WOE and now I am getting migraines about once per week again. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

I know that since I am eating only 70gm carbs per day, that source of serotonin release (from eating carbs) is pretty much gone. Serotonin fluctuations are a source of migraines.
    Based on the increase in migraine activity *and* the sleep stuff that's coming up, I'd consider a few things:

• magnesium..... I have to supplement it. It's possible that you were getting most of your magnesium from grains and/or beans and that not eating them has reduced your magnesium intake to levels less than optimal for you.

• vitamin C - how's your produce intake?

• sufficient potassium from produce to balance the sodium from the extra meat consumption: potassium intake estimates in an evolutionary environment range from 5mg K:1mg Na to 16mg K: 1mg Na. Regardless, most of us aren't getting enough potassium. I've found that working to optimize this ratio is hugely beneficial for migraine prevention.

Think of magnesium and potassium as the relaxors and calcium and sodium as the contractors. We need both - but it's all about ratio just like it is wrt Ω3 and Ω6.

You mentioned that 'a lower carb diet causes water loss'. I find that when I'm getting sufficient produce (which supplies most potassium), I'm getting so much hydration from the produce that I don't need much additional fluid.

Here's a list of the supplements I take I can't tolerate magnesium citrate at all. MgOxide isn't a quality form (high % of elemental mg but poor absorption) so Mg supplementation is one of the few areas I go 'expensive': Jigsaw Magnesium - a time released form of magnesium dimalate.

neptune krill oil, for me, evens out any hormonal actions that previously triggered hormonal migraines.

Hoping you find an answer soon.

All the best,
    Katherine

couchie is offline Member
    I am also a migraine suffer, for me it is bacon and I love it, oranges
    and chocolate, oh and also red wine.

I would love to find bacon without the bad stuff, but no luck
    the other stuff doesn't worry me, if I don't have it, but looooove
    bacon.

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everybody for your ideas, I really appreciate it.

I was taking St. John's Wort before PB and the increase in migraines so I don't think that's the cause.

My produce intake is decent on some days (like when I have a BAsalad) but less than adequate on other days. I agree that this could be contributing to dehydration and hadn't considered about the K+ factor or Vit C. I have packets of Lite Emergen-C that contain 1gm of Vit C and 200mg of K+. I take these some days but not every day. I will make a point to take it every day and work on getting more produce in.

Magnesium...on the weekend I picked up a bottle of Soloray chelated magnesium...mixture of chelated mg citrate, oxide, and some other kind. A dose is 400 mg. I took my first dose on Saturday night I think. I was starting to feel some cramping in my calf muscles at night so that's why I bought the magnesium.

LittleNappingLion is offline Senior Member
    I've had 3 migraines in the 6 months since going primal, and only 2 ever before that in my whole life! Last 2 times I noticed it was after eating bacon for breakfast (maybe nitrite/nitrate build up? I had only JUST added bacon a month prior, but I've always been a wine drinker so this theory if full of holes). Last migraine was noticeably less when I drank a container of coconut water immediately after the aura started coming on.

For me I'm thinking that maybe there's a stress/mineral depletion component to it. Maybe for you too?

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    mineral depletion...could be the case.

SInce we're on the subject of brain matters, my thinking has been less-than-clear also. Checking account screw ups, showing up for appointments that I've rescheduled (and forgot), mixing up two people who are in the same meeting....uggg, it's not good. I've wondered whether my brain has not adapted to burning ketones very well. Maybe it really wants those minimum 135gm of daily carbs...

buffalo is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My migraine trigger is caffeine. I had hoped that going primal would allow me to be in good enough health that I could keep coffee in the diet and not get headaches, but it didn't work and I had to pull all caffeine from my diet. At least eating primal gives me great energy levels, so I'm not dependent upon coffee for energy like I used to be on my old CW diet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12