Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Incorporating Primal into Yoga? Or just general personalisation. page 5

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi all

Don't mean to highjack this thread, but I've just started playing with Yoga, mainly to improve my flexibilty, so I got a copy of a book called Hatha Yoga by Martin Kirk, Brooke Boon & Daniel Dituro, which I liked as in the reviews I read that they give lesser moves if you can't do the stated move fully, which I thought (and do) a beginner like me might need!

As I said I've only just got the book, so has anyone tried this form and got on with it?

Any views are appreciated.

Cheers

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Has anyone heard of Ido Portal? Zach turned me on to him, and he's completely amazing! Here's his views on Flexibility and stretching: Ido's Blog: Stretching and Flexibility
    I have. :P

Great little blog find, thats some amazing stuff! Wish he continued writing his blog.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Astanga is no more or less pure than any other style. It's definitely intelligent and functional in a lot of ways, but it's really no more "pure" than any other form or school of yoga. It's just Jois's take on Krishnamacharya's stuff, and there are *lots* of takes on that material.

the real difficulty of it is the time commitment for it. I don't have time for 2.5 hrs anymore than I have time for 5 hrs and so on. 45 minutes is a good stretch considering my work/life schedule, and as such, I had to do something balanced and intelligent in that amount of time. It's definitely possible.
    Yes, I know you are right! They are all just people changing things to make themselves happy. I wouldn't mind the time commitment either if it had given me the energy that my teachers seemed to get from it. Perhaps it will, now that I eat different. Funny though, they ate a vegan, whole grain and legume based diet and did great, while I withered away.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Indians in general are not known for their physiques. I believe it mainly has to do with their plant based diet high in lentils and other beans. Even bodybuilders and wrestlers seem to always have a layer of fat around them.
    I feel so bad even talking about this! I do think you're right about the diet having a lot to do with it. That is not much protein and an awful lot of digestive stress.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Has anyone heard of Ido Portal? Zach turned me on to him, and he's completely amazing! Here's his views on Flexibility and stretching: Ido's Blog: Stretching and Flexibility
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I have. :P

Great little blog find, thats some amazing stuff! Wish he continued writing his blog.
    Meant to add:

Bringing the thread back to the personalisation of yoga - his movement philosophy is something I'd like to incorporate into my practice and my classes, once I learn more about it.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    Yes, I know you are right! They are all just people changing things to make themselves happy. I wouldn't mind the time commitment either if it had given me the energy that my teachers seemed to get from it. Perhaps it will, now that I eat different. Funny though, they ate a vegan, whole grain and legume based diet and did great, while I withered away.
    PaleoMom, I always tell my students that if they want to have a daily practice to start with three minutes a day It's no committment, and that way you can build up gradually as your fitness improves. After 8 years of attempting to do yoga, two years ago I started touching my toes every day, and within a month had a daily practice of an hour.

Have you ever done Hatha yoga? It's quite slow, but if you find the right teacher it would keep you challenged without the over exertion.

Also, some people thrive on any diet, other people need more
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

I will give your 3 minutes a try Right now practicing at home is really my only option, which makes doing what I already know tempting, however, you and zoebird have me thinking about looking into other options. I have loved yoga since I was about 12 but my fixation on Astanga in combination with it really not working for me sort of killed the whole thing.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Again, this is about perception. I know many vegans who are not vegan all the time. They are vegan most days, and sometimes not even then. The underbelly of working in yoga is that there is a lot covered up. Just as we were often told "i lift weights, but tell everyone it's all from yoga," I know people who were smokers, alcoholics, drug addicts (not just rec users), people who claimed veg*nism, but were not, and the whole gamut. Things are not always what they seem.

One of my friends blogged extensively about her juice fasting and raw foodism and how it all related to yoga and blah blah blah X number of hours of practice a day. But, she was actually rarely practicing, only had juice in the am and would eat all kinds of cooked and junk foods all day, and so on.

So, you know, it could just be your perception.

And, there's a whole other side to this about astanga specifically, but it's difficult for me to describe right nwo because I'm at work and fielding calls and emails and about to teach class.

PaleoMom, I always tell my students that if they want to have a daily practice to start with three minutes a day It's no committment, and that way you can build up gradually as your fitness improves. After 8 years of attempting to do yoga, two years ago I started touching my toes every day, and within a month had a daily practice of an hour.
    I do the same, and actually give my students 3-4 postures to do: mountain pose, yoga squat, cat/cow stretch, and downward dog. It certainly very easily grows into a much bigger practice over time. But by giving specific postures, it helps them focus on where to start.

Have you ever done Hatha yoga? It's quite slow, but if you find the right teacher it would keep you challenged without the over exertion.
    Pet Peeve Alert! All yoga of postures is "hatha yoga" -- what is marketed as "hatha yoga" varies extremely widely, though it does tend to be a slower form. My biggest "peeve" about it is that most of the teachers of "hatha yoga" classes are crap-tastic. That is to say, they have very limited or minimal training, and they generally just teach a "slow class" that people think is safe, but generally has all kinds of joint-wrenching ridculousness that they are not aware of. super-annoying!

I would go by way of word-of-mouth. If yuo hear of a good teacher in your area, then go to that teacher. Or better yet, just start trying out different yoga classes/styles in your area and see what resonates.

Also, some people thrive on any diet, other people need more
    This is true. It is also true that they seem to be thriving but end up not thriving, or they aren't actually following it, or what have you. It's quite interesting how that works.

I will give your 3 minutes a try Right now practicing at home is really my only option, which makes doing what I already know tempting, however, you and zoebird have me thinking about looking into other options. I have loved yoga since I was about 12 but my fixation on Astanga in combination with it really not working for me sort of killed the whole thing.
    I will get back to one of the reasons why it doesn't work for people, in particular in combination with the vegan diet later. Gotta get on with my spread sheet. It's not working for me! Darn spread sheet!

Wow, what an incredible shame there is such lying going on! I don't understand the motives to sell others on what isn't working in someone's own life. That can just hurt so many people.

I have to say that the quote "Practice and all is coming" was a big part of my problem. I just thought that if I practiced more, longer, harder, and ate stricter vegan and kept leaving more and more room for "digestion", I would magically start to have endless amounts of energy, feel at complete peace at every moment and live in a tight little yoga body.

My teachers rarely said anything in class. It was just practice.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I know many vegans who are not vegan all the time. They are vegan most days, and sometimes not even then. The underbelly of working in yoga is that there is a lot covered up. Just as we were often told "i lift weights, but tell everyone it's all from yoga," I know people who were smokers, alcoholics, drug addicts (not just rec users), people who claimed veg*nism, but were not, and the whole gamut. Things are not always what they seem.
    I don't know... during my training one of my teachers was an American guy who'd been living at the ashram in India for six years. He didn't label himself veggie or vegan, but the food at the ashram was 90% vegan. He might occasionally eat out and have a pizza, but other than that - it was dahl and rice, twice a day. Anyway, he was totally ripped (and our form of yoga is slow and subtle, not strong like Astanga). I think some people can thrive and build muscle on any diet, but for most people it's more difficult on plant-based diets.

Pet Peeve Alert! All yoga of postures is "hatha yoga" -- what is marketed as "hatha yoga" varies extremely widely, though it does tend to be a slower form. My biggest "peeve" about it is that most of the teachers of "hatha yoga" classes are crap-tastic. That is to say, they have very limited or minimal training, and they generally just teach a "slow class" that people think is safe, but generally has all kinds of joint-wrenching ridculousness that they are not aware of. super-annoying!
    Ha I get your drift, but that labelling doesn't bother me. True, Yoga was a whole school of philophy with many branches, and Hatha was the movement component, but when Western people first adopted it there was no yoga "chains" like Ashtanga, Anusara etc. and the label "Hatha yoga" just meant that you were doing the movement aspect of yoga as opposed to the other branches of Yoga like Raja (meditation) etc. This form of yoga was very traditional, and thus slow. As other teachers began to develop their styles, new yoga names were born, and people who wanted to indicate that they were sticking with the traditional form of yoga continued to call it Hatha yoga. Even India teachers in India call it Hatha.

I've had two really amazing yoga teachers who taught "hatha yoga"! I guess with anything in life, it's more about the teacher than the subject.

- Ray Peat

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast