Thread: Too much? page

ez2cy is offline Senior Member

Too much?

Shop Now
    First off, let me say I feel great and I'm losing weight.

I walk everyday for an hour. I also go to the pool and swim lenghts 6 days a week, 1 hour, but I'm not pushing it, I swim slow. 2 lengths breathstroke, 2 lengths front crawl. So, it's another 22 minutes to walk there and back.

I'm thinking, this should be ok as Mark talks about moving slowly ALOT.

Is there something I maybe should be taken so I don't lose lean muscle? Or is that only for when you do really hard exercise?

Thanks in advance.

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    Bit of a vague question if you ask me, all depends on where you are coming from. Male, female, how much weight lost and left to lose, etc.?
    Either way the above doesn't sound excessive and if you feel great, more power to you!

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Are you doing this because it's what you like to do or to make yourself lose weight?

The standard recommendation is to do some resistance exercise to prevent losing muscle mass while losing weight.

Sorry, male, lost about 30+ lbs in the last year. Looking to lose 20 more. Just worried about muscle loss as I don't have much...LOL
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    I had similar stats to yours (except I'm 31 year old male). Down to 186lbs and 32" waist now (from around 230lbs and 43"waist May last year), much leaner and now putting on some muscle too. I'd say don't overthink it too much and don't worry too much about losing muscle. As long as you eat enough protein and do weight training a few times a week you won't lose any. The classical view in bodybuilder circles seems to be to do a "cut" first when you have significant excess fat (lose fat, accept a little bit of muscle loss) and to then do a bulk (put on muscle, accept a little bit of fat gain). Then there are people like Martin Berkhan from Leangains who combine the two, and this seems to work well for a lot of people too. What I am doing now is follow some of those principles, i.e. eat your maintenance calories on days that you work out (in my case kettlebell workouts from home), a bit higher carb, and create a deficit on rest days and keep it lower carb on those days. That combined with a 16/8 fasting window and enough protein, and you're bound to see progress.
    Again, don't overcomplicate it. Your swimming and walking are fine, though I'd say throw in some heavy lifting a few times a week as you need that hormonal response from your body (or do some sprinting).

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Are you doing this because it's what you like to do or to make yourself lose weight?

The standard recommendation is to do some resistance exercise to prevent losing muscle mass while losing weight.
    I'm doing it for both. Love walking and love doing laps. . (have a waterproof MP3..LOL). HOwever, I want to lose weight, which I am
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Nope your fine as is. Just eat primal and enjoy your walks and swimming.

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    In regards to chronic cardio, I think the general rule is:

If your body is raring to go, go for it, even if you've done heaps previous days. If the body is pleading to stay at home and the self conscious mind is the only thing pushing it out the door, then that is chronic cardio. This pops up alot in people training for an event/sport . "I must train for that half marathon next month even tho my body feels like crap at the moment"
    Last edited by dilberryhoundog; 03-20-2013 at 11:19 PM.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)