Thread: Gym routine. page

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member

Gym routine.

Primal Fuel
    Whilst I am currently doing body weight exercises, I will also like to add back some gym routines with a view to going there permanently. I was thinking of doing something like this:

Squats
    Bench (BB/DB alternate)
    Deadlifts
    Shoulder press/military press
    Bent over rows
    Lateral pull downs.

How does that look? Over kill? Should I split them up and do some one day and the rest another day?

Thanks.

jsjmm is offline Junior Member
    I have used the following and now have moved to a split but made good progress might work for you.
    ‘The Big 3′ Routine | RippedBody.jp

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CavemanJoe View Post
    Whilst I am currently doing body weight exercises, I will also like to add back some gym routines with a view to going there permanently. I was thinking of doing something like this:

Squats
    Bench (BB/DB alternate)
    Deadlifts
    Shoulder press/military press
    Bent over rows
    Lateral pull downs.

How does that look? Over kill? Should I split them up and do some one day and the rest another day?

Thanks.
    Really not enough information to hazard a guess. You only said the names of the lifts you plan to perform, but told us nothing of your intended volumes and intensities, not to mention those data for your bodyweight routines, and other pertinent stuff like your age, weight, and training status. As well as what you might be trying to achieve.

My bad.

I'm 24, 250lbs and roughly 20-25% body fat, looking to lose fat. I will be doing a strong-lifts program, high weights low reps (5x5). I walk 5 hours a week and my body weight includes dips, press ups, squats, lunges and burpees.

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanJoe View Post
    My bad.

I'm 24, 250lbs and roughly 20-25% body fat, looking to lose fat. I will be doing a strong-lifts program, high weights low reps (5x5). I walk 5 hours a week and my body weight includes dips, press ups, squats, lunges and burpees.
    A. That's not the Stronglifts program
    B. Way too many exercises for that kind of volume/intensity

I had no idea stronglifts is something specific. I have always called the 5x5 routine by that name.

So a split would better? Day 1: squats, bench, bent over rows; day 2: deads, shoulders and lat pull downs...

People far more educated on the subject matter than myself have already come up with programs. Here's one I like to recommend: Starting Strength, 3rd edition: Mark Rippetoe, Jason Kelly: 9780982522738: Amazon.com: Books

Why reinvent the wheel?

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    What Rich said. Starting Strength is the way to go if you are new to lifting.

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    Ditch the bodyweight exercises and throw all your effort into Starting Strength. Continue to walk on off-days. That's the best to do it.
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you want to do stronglifts, then go here: StrongLifts: Gain Muscle And Strength While Losing Fat StrongLifts and do what he says. It's pretty similar to Starting Strength, though there are no pullups or cleans.