Thread: So many questions page

Michael M is offline Junior Member

So many questions

I've been on this plan for 2 weeks now, have lost 10 pounds already, and have stopped taking 90% of my daily insulin (180 units per day before this plan), and I feel great. But I have questions about what is allowed to eat, so I will just ask. Here are the foods I would like to know about. Bacon, Smart Balance Buttery Spread, milk (2%), cheese, rutabaga (which I love), COFFEE, coffee cream, and Dreamfields Past (recommended by the American Diabetes Association).
    Yes, I am type 2 diabetic. I take a lot of fish oil. I also take Crestor (which I would love to stop). Since starting this plan, my endochrenologist has given me permission to stop my insulin except for 25 units in the morning because my glucose levels have really come down drastically in the past 2 weeks.

So, how about it? The foods mentioned above, can I eat them, or are they off limits. There are only 2 items listed that would be nearly impossible to give up-bacon and coffee. Help!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    As a general rule, I wouldn't take any of the recommendations from the American Diabetics Association

Bacon - yes
    Smart Balance Buttery Spread - what is that? if it's some processed seed oil crap, then no. why not just eat butter?
    milk (2%) - full fat or raw is better. I don't ban milk, but have fallen out of the habit of drinking it (I now prefer cream instead)
    cheese - yes
    rutabaga - yes
    COFFEE - yes, but if you are addicted, ease off on it
    coffee cream - yes (do you make it yourself?)
    Dreamfields Past - what is that? (I'm not an american...) I'd guess it's a processed food of some kind and if so, no.

Fish are a better source of fish oil than fish oil (ironically).
    Last edited by magicmerl; 03-19-2013 at 10:03 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!

Bacon - Fine within reason.
    Smart Balance - No. Use real butter.
    Milk (2%) - That's what I use. (Local, organic, pastured, minimally pasteurized, non-homogenized.) Most here who do milk get raw whole. Fine if it doesn't bother you or hold you back.
    Cheese - Again, fine if you tolerate it.
    Rutabega - Great. Very paleo.
    Coffee - Fine.
    Coffee cream? - Not sure what that is. Use real cream.
    Dreamfields Past - Should avoid grains. I do have some local, organic white rice and sprouted organic corn tortillas. Those are on the "not so bad" end of grains.

Find out what works for you. Good luck.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Glenview is offline Member
    1. Skip the buttery spread because it is full of polyunsaturated fat. Eat pastured butter like Kerrygold.
    2. I am a newbie, but find I do better without dairy and cheese. I do eat homemade sour cream and real butter.
    3. I lump rutabagas in with potatoes so I only eat them as a treat right now.
    4. LOVE coffee, but had to quit while my gut healed. Looking forward to it in the future.
    5. What is coffee cream? If its that chemical stuff, I wouldn't touch it. I would use Heavy Whipping Cream or make my coffee bulletproof style with butter.
    6. Dreamfields Past sounds like something you might want to leave in your past? Whole foods without processing nourish your body.

Good luck, and don't give up.
    Last edited by Glenview; 03-19-2013 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Cain't spell.

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    It is awesome that you are experiencing such dramatic results so quickly! I would recommend that you read the Primal Blueprint and as much as you can from this site to help you get a better understanding of this way of life. In the meantime, here are some quick answers for you.

Ok to eat:
    Bacon- Most people say it is best if you can find uncured bacon; if not, at least find some without added sugars.
    Coffee
    Rutabaga
    Cheese and milk- As long as you tolerate dairy these are primal. Go for whole milk, raw if you can find it.
    Coffee cream- Not sure what you are referring to here. If you mean the flavored creamers (Coffeemate, International Delight), those are not primal. Go for whole milk, coconut milk (the canned kind) or heavy whipping cream.

Not Primal/Paleo:
    Smart Balance Buttery spread- Just eat butter. Grassfed butter like Kerrygold is the best, but just regular ol' butter is a zillion times better than butter-like spreads made from oils.
    Dreamfields Pasta- Nope, no dice. Sorry to the Diabetic Association, but it is still grains-based. Learn to love the spaghetti squash.

If I can ask, how do you prepare rutabaga? I tried it once, shredded and fried up like hash browns, and was pretty underwhelmed. I'd like to give it another shot but not sure how to prepare it.

Glenview: rutabagas are fine. Mark has published recipes with them.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member

!`

Quote Originally Posted by Michael M View Post
    I've been on this plan for 2 weeks now, have lost 10 pounds already, and have stopped taking 90% of my daily insulin (180 units per day before this plan), and I feel great. But I have questions about what is allowed to eat, so I will just ask. Here are the foods I would like to know about. Bacon, Smart Balance Buttery Spread, milk (2%), cheese, rutabaga (which I love), COFFEE, coffee cream, and Dreamfields Past (recommended by the American Diabetes Association).
    Yes, I am type 2 diabetic. I take a lot of fish oil. I also take Crestor (which I would love to stop). Since starting this plan, my endochrenologist has given me permission to stop my insulin except for 25 units in the morning because my glucose levels have really come down drastically in the past 2 weeks.

So, how about it? The foods mentioned above, can I eat them, or are they off limits. There are only 2 items listed that would be nearly impossible to give up-bacon and coffee. Help!
    Congratulations! You're doing great.
    1.Bacon - all you want
    2. Smart Balance Buttery Spread - butter is better.
    3. milk (2%) - not best, best is raw, unpasturized, unhomogenized (gron grass-fed cows, goats, or sheep, or as close as you can get.
    4. cheese - yes, the harder the better
    5. rutabaga (which I love) - yes, all the roots you want, except white-meat potatoes
    6. COFFEE - reduce to 1 or 2 cups
    7. coffee cream - NO, milk, 1/2&1/2, or Heavy Whippiung Cream
    8. Dreamfields Past (recommended by the American Diabetes Association) - NO. It's to provide fiber that you don't need.

About the Crestor - just throw it out. That's what I did. Don't tell you doctor. Read "How Statin Drugs Really Lower Cholerterol" or "The Cholesterol Myth". Also read "Fiber Menace", "The Primal Blueprint", and "Gut Sense".

In general, no grains and no sugar of any kind. All the meats, fish, roots, and greens you want. And all the healthy fats - which include Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, and animal fats. It's also preferable if your food is as natural and organic as possible, that would include wild caught fish and grass-fed meat.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 03-19-2013 at 10:59 PM.

So you see, Michael, these are all valid answers for different people. You need to find out what works for you.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    In general, no grains and no sugar of any kind. All the meats, fish, roots, and greens you want. And all the healthy fats - which include Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, and animal fats. It's also preferable if your food is as natural and organic as possible, that would include wild caught fish and grass-fed meat.
    Thanks for this succinct primal summary.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Many people find that whole milk is so much more satisfying than low fat that they end up drinking a lot less of it.

Dreamfields pasta is a scam. It digests identically to regular pasta.