Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: macronutrient breakdown page

sandybeaches is offline Junior Member

macronutrient breakdown

Shop Now
    Hello
    can anyone help me? I have been eating paleo for some time and have lost a significant amount of weight but need to lose my last 20 pounds or so and am trying to fine tune exactly what to eat in order to do that. I recently purchased primal blueprint and was intrigued because it sounded like i could learn exactly how much carbs, protein etc to eat to burn off the remaining fat. in the weight loss section it breaks down some examples and tells exactly how many cals, protein, carbs and fat the sample people should eat but how the heck are you supposed to figure out for yourself??? I have no idea how they came up with 79 grams of carbs a day for the woman sample....I want to know exactly how many carbs to eat. i already know the general principles of primal/paleo eating. I need specific info regarding these breakdowns so i can finally breakthrough this last weight i can't get off.
    Also it talks about eating "carefully chosen" fruit but never says what those fruits are...I'm a little frustrated as I have not learned anything I already didn't know....

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    under 50 gms of carbs per day is for faster weight loss. some do just fine losing at under 100 gms.

as for fruits, choose lower sugar varieties, like berries, and don't eat mountains of them.

this info is all on-line...
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    under 50 gms of carbs per day is for faster weight loss. some do just fine losing at under 100 gms.

as for fruits, choose lower sugar varieties, like berries, and don't eat mountains of them.

this info is all on-line...
    Thanks for responding. the book however talks about a "carbohydrate sweet spot" somewhere BETWEEN 50 and 100 and that where your spot is depends on your size, age, sex, and metabolism and that the goal is to settle right on the fringe of ketosis. but it doesn't tell how to figure that out....Am I missing something??

and how would I know which fruits are lower in sugar? is there a threshold? I never eat more than one a day anyway... but are say bananana or grapes off limits? I can't seem to find any practical info in the book...

krsn89 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandybeaches View Post
    Hello
    can anyone help me? I have been eating paleo for some time and have lost a significant amount of weight but need to lose my last 20 pounds or so and am trying to fine tune exactly what to eat in order to do that. I recently purchased primal blueprint and was intrigued because it sounded like i could learn exactly how much carbs, protein etc to eat to burn off the remaining fat. in the weight loss section it breaks down some examples and tells exactly how many cals, protein, carbs and fat the sample people should eat but how the heck are you supposed to figure out for yourself??? I have no idea how they came up with 79 grams of carbs a day for the woman sample....I want to know exactly how many carbs to eat. i already know the general principles of primal/paleo eating. I need specific info regarding these breakdowns so i can finally breakthrough this last weight i can't get off.
    Also it talks about eating "carefully chosen" fruit but never says what those fruits are...I'm a little frustrated as I have not learned anything I already didn't know....
    I think a big part of the paleo/primal/ancestral way of eating is figuring out what works for you and your body. I don't think that anyone will really give you a strict macro breakdown of fats/proteins/carbs because what is optimal for you is not the same for everyone. In PB, Mark does mention restricting your carbs to lower than 50 gm per day to enter into ketosis, where you may lose weight faster (it's on the Carbohydrate Curve). Some people who eat Primal eat 30% carbs, some people eat 5% carbs. I went from eating 80% fat to around 50% fat most days, for example.

Like noodletoy said, berries and lower sugar fruits in moderation are recommended.

What does a typical day of eating look like for you? Have you tracked your intake to see what your current macros are like?

yes I track my food every day. I am eating less than 50 grams of carbs a day right now--not even eating any fruit.. I was thinking maybe I was damaging my metabolism. and it sounded like in the book being under 50 longterm wasn't necesssarily good--that you should restrict JUST ENOUGH to be on the fringe of ketosis it said....not sure how t do that...
    typical day of eating right now includes:
    breakfast: eggs or ground turkey with veggies such as spinache, mushrooms, zuchinni, carrots, coconut oil
    lunch: veggies similar as above, ground turkey, chicken breast or fish, cocnut oil
    dinner: similar to lunch

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    If you're trying to lose that "last 20 pounds", and your diet is completely clean, DON'T worry about macronutrient breakdown. At this point (for you), it's LESS important than doing all the OTHER things right.

What are the other things? High Intensity Interval Training, 8 hours of sleep in a completely blacked-out room, at least one day a week spent in nature, and an overall happy, low-stress life.

How are you doing on these other important factors?
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

Quote Originally Posted by paul119 View Post
    If you're trying to lose that "last 20 pounds", and your diet is completely clean, DON'T worry about macronutrient breakdown. At this point (for you), it's LESS important than doing all the OTHER things right.

What are the other things? High Intensity Interval Training, 8 hours of sleep in a completely blacked-out room, at least one day a week spent in nature, and an overall happy, low-stress life.

How are you doing on these other important factors?
    ok thanks! HIIT is good, sleep and nature not so much...will try to work on these...

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandybeaches View Post
    and it sounded like in the book being under 50 longterm wasn't necesssarily good--
    I can attest to under 50g/day not being good in the long run. I was eating around 50 (but I've active) for about 9 months. Dropped the last few "vanity" pounds and then totally crashed. Crippling fatigue ect. It works in the long run but make sure you add back in some safe starches after about 6 months. I'm now around 100g/day and starting to feel much better. Good luck!

krsn89 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meghanner View Post
    I can attest to under 50g/day not being good in the long run. I was eating around 50 (but I've active) for about 9 months. Dropped the last few "vanity" pounds and then totally crashed. Crippling fatigue ect. It works in the long run but make sure you add back in some safe starches after about 6 months. I'm now around 100g/day and starting to feel much better. Good luck!
    I agree with this. I was doing under 30g a day and it sure helped to get my weight down but it wasn't sustainable for me. I wasn't active at all during that time and it was still hard on my body after a while. Stress can be a huge factor in keeping weight on so working on sleeping more and de-stressing may be helpful. Your diet looks decent to me! I know you didn't post how many calories you typically eat but from personal experience, I noticed that my weight would stall when I ate too little, so watch out for that too.

Yana is offline Junior Member
    I recently read Mark's Primal Blueprint 21 Day Full Body Transformation, and there he breaks down various fruit types into tiers based on the nutritional value.

The top tier - excellent value: all berries and stone fruit - peaches, nectarines, apricots
    Second tier - very good value: apples, pears, bananas, grapefruit
    Last tier - limit consumption: mangoes, pineapple, grapes, oranges

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast