Thread: Wrist strength page

Hazelm is offline Junior Member

Question Wrist strength

Shop Now
    I really want to do body weight exercises, but I have very little strength and flexibility in my wrists and can't really hold my weight with my hands flat on the floor for any time at all (I think I injured one wrist when I very young - 35 or so years ago). Is there anything I can do to build strength and flexibility in my wrists? Do I just do my best with the exercises and assume it will come in time? Just wondered if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the forum, Hazelm.

Mark did a series of posts a while ago about joint mobility. Here is the one on wrists and ankles: How to Improve Wrist and Ankle Mobility | Mark's Daily Apple

As far as the strength, I'm not really sure. Maybe start with easier moves like wall pushups and work your way up. Practice holding a weight out in front of you, stuff like that.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I'd suggest a variety of hooping moves for improving flexibility (and coordination). If you use a weighted hoop they will help build up strength too. For example:

Hoop Tips & Tricks: Backwards Vertical Weave- Hoopnotica Tutorial - YouTube

If you feel strain in your hands and wrists while using a standard PC keyboard and are right-handed, and don't have the option to reduce time at the keyboard, then try a small keyboard without the numpad instead. This angles the forearms inwards for natural ergonomics, regarding strain on the tendons that move the fingers. Our fingers are moved by the muscles in our forearm which attach to the elbow. We have no muscles in our fingers. They are a special case.

The vast majority of natural movements in our arms and hands involve forearms angled inwards towards the body (e.g. feeding, using common tools to manipulate or make objects).
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.