Thread: Improved nutritional profile = less hunger? page

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member

Improved nutritional profile = less hunger?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've really done the best job ever adding micronutrients, omega-3's, etc. to my diet. While ditching most of the grains and sugar did seem to make me feel less hungry, I'm finding as time goes by that I have crave less of anything. At first, I was craving really healthy stuff but now it's getting easier and easier to not snack or overeat. I assume this might be because of my improved nutritional profile?

Prior to getting back to a primal type of eating, I had learned that I had low levels of hcl. I'm guessing that I was deficient in many nutrients because of that and I was ingesting grains and legumes that probably kept me from being able to absorb other nutrients. I felt hungry and thought about food a lot, probably because I was suffering from malnutrition although I certainly didn't look malnourished! Now, I seem to have settled into a nice rhythm and definitely feel true stomach hunger much more often than I used to. I also seem to have less emotional eating temptations.

For years, I have doubted that all of a sudden Americans became lazy overeaters, just because they were unmotivated and gluttonous. The low fat food craze that hit in the late 80's, coupled with less and less nutrition in the "food" we have consumed have most likely lead to this SAD epidemic of obesity and disease. It seems so tragic to see so many led astray by the information that is out there. I was one of them for years and didn't realize how misguided the mainstream nutritional information really is. We really need to relearn how to choose food, cook and eat as a society.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Ljphalen is offline Member
    This is a lot of the idea behind Perfect Health, and it's held true for me, as well.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TornadoGirl View Post
    didn't realize how misguided the mainstream nutritional information really is. We really need to relearn how to choose food, cook and eat as a society.
    Yes we do. But it's hard. I have tried googling for help on subjects like diabetes and heart disease, AS IF I didn't already know about primal or paleo (which I'd never heard of 8 months ago) and it is impossible to find the info that you can get here.

Marinas Florin is offline Senior Member
    Too bad there's no perfect diet...
    No Bull fat loss and muscle gaining at http://www.nobsbb.com

I am not a bodybuilding/fat loss/strength training "guru" BUT I achieved a lean state with ease after learning the correct way to train and eat and I want to HELP YOU achieve the same.

Lose Weight/Gain Muscle/Strength - FEEL BETTER

Start here: http://www.nobsbb.com/new-start-here/

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    I don't think anything is perfect but their is "a hell of a lot better" and that's the path I'm trying to follow. I googled a little on the topic and read some statistics. 80% of Americans are deficient in vitamin D, reportedly, and 90% are deficient in omega 3's.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ljphalen View Post
    This is a lot of the idea behind Perfect Health, and it's held true for me, as well.
    +1
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Maybe its in my head, but I find I feel full sooner on grass fed meat instead of convention meat and thus eat less ..... I think its because of the better nutritional makeup. This may be in my head.

But regardless, I think there is some validity to the idea that we can all eat less by eating foods of higher nutritional density.

Bismarck is offline Junior Member
    I would venture to say that increased satiety is due to the more nuanced flavor profiles(and expectations of them) of paleoesque foods. I know I've learned to realish foods quite a bit more. They're also harder to overeat. Try gorging on a BAS(as I did last night, delicious and filling, but not overly caloric...)

gunnerbee is offline Junior Member
    I have found over the past month that I am rarely hungry. I feel like I can get by eating so much less, high quality foods. Its really making me feel like not only we most people eat the wrong things, we just eat way too much, too!