Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding strength but no mass? page

DennyB is online now Senior Member

Adding strength but no mass?

Shop Now
    Hey all, I've been paleo/primal since june/12 and have seen great strides in strength but im not gaining any muscle mass. Any tips, should I up my carbs? Better meal timing?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I would up carbs a bit, and keep fat up as well, the point being to increase your overall calories.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Yup, if you want to get big you have to eat more. No, more. No, really--even more than that.

Primalsaber is offline Member
    As well as eating more (definitely do) I would increase the rep ranges when working out. Keep low-rep work, but do additional sets of 6/8-12 for a little more hypertrophy. I personally don't prefer this method of training but I think it won't hurt a bit, may even benefit strength gains. Tell me what works for you.

Marinas Florin is offline Senior Member
    If you are gaining strength, you are doing the right thing!

Eat more, get some additional volume done (do your main workout as you did it until now but add an extra set or extra volume sets).

Again, if your weights go up, you are gaining muscle mass! (considering that you eat sufficient protein and calories)
    No Bull fat loss and muscle gaining at http://www.nobsbb.com

I am not a bodybuilding/fat loss/strength training "guru" BUT I achieved a lean state with ease after learning the correct way to train and eat and I want to HELP YOU achieve the same.

Lose Weight/Gain Muscle/Strength - FEEL BETTER

Start here: http://www.nobsbb.com/new-start-here/

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Yup, if you want to get big you have to eat more. No, more. No, really--even more than that.
    I almost thought this was an old thread that I had already posted on.

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    If you can handle dairy, add in a few glasses of whole milk every day.

Maybe some white or sweet potatoes as well.
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

DennyB is online now Senior Member
    Thanks All, I have upped my calories for the past month and have seen the scale go up (along with my spare tire that i spent all of last year trying to deflate :'( ) the only thing keeping me from cutting my calories again is im still in a size 32 jean so im pretty sure its not all fat :-D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mgdpublic is offline Junior Member
    What kind of rep/sets are you doing? If you want to gain mass faster you need to emphasize sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (vs. myofibrillar). The former increases the volume of muscle cells (think body builders) while the later increases the number of muscle cells (think powerlifters). SH requires you to exhaust the glycogen supplies of your muscles through low weight, high rep training. 3 sets of 10 reps is pretty normal for this (as long as your failing your 10th rep). The other thing is that since you're on lower carb diet, your body may not be replenishing those glycogen stores fully and therefore attracting the water that increases mass) in one way. Note that SH makes fast mass gains which get lost fast when you stop working out. MH takes much longer but lasts much longer. I'm simplifying here but that's the gist.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgdpublic View Post
    What kind of rep/sets are you doing? If you want to gain mass faster you need to emphasize sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (vs. myofibrillar). The former increases the volume of muscle cells (think body builders) while the later increases the number of muscle cells (think powerlifters). SH requires you to exhaust the glycogen supplies of your muscles through low weight, high rep training. 3 sets of 10 reps is pretty normal for this (as long as your failing your 10th rep). The other thing is that since you're on lower carb diet, your body may not be replenishing those glycogen stores fully and therefore attracting the water that increases mass) in one way. Note that SH makes fast mass gains which get lost fast when you stop working out. MH takes much longer but lasts much longer. I'm simplifying here but that's the gist.
    This! Give your muscles the cosmetic touch with more sets and reps, and also more carbs ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast