Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Great CW moment page 4

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I think it's also true that people have an irrational attachment to the diets they eat regularly.
    Looking around here, anyone can see this statement is very true. Though, most of the people with the weight problems aren't paying attention to what they eat at all. Health could just be ignorance.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Health could just be ignorance.
    But it's not that likely. Ignorance is more likely to lead to following the crowd, which will lead to a host of normal health issues. Most people don't just luckily stumble upon good health.

I love this! Here is a question. What do you do if you are obese (after a lifetime of trying all the CW diets - and not realizing I was eating crap when I ate things like Lean Cuisine and "health" breakfast cereal), and finally found PB, lost 25 lbs on it so far but still have a long way to go? I can't be like "look at my awesome abs". I am still obese but feel like for once I will fix this. I jsut feel frustrated when I get judgemental stares and comments when I eat things like chicken thighs with the skin on and brussel sprouts cooked in coconut oil. Everyone loves to give me unsolicited advice like how to cook vegetables without coconut oil or how many calories I'll save if I didn't eat the chicken skin ... It is FRUSTRATING. I can't wait to lose the weight for vindication (too bad right now I am in sort of a stall pattern - but I will lose it!).

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I think it's also true that people have an irrational attachment to the diets they eat regularly.
    I definitely agree. And funnily enough, you can see it on these forums, as well. People in the hardcore high-fat camp don't want to hear from the people who think carbs from whole foods are perfectly fine... and meanwhile, people eating 150g of carbs per day don't want to hear from the high-fat people who tell them they'll get better results with lower carbs.

It's almost dogmatic. People don't want to hear their way-of-eating get shot down, because it causes this weird disorientation, like "oh my god, I'm doing everything wrong... will I ever figure out how to eat properly?"

miata is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mandypandy2246 View Post
    I love this! Here is a question. What do you do if you are obese (after a lifetime of trying all the CW diets - and not realizing I was eating crap when I ate things like Lean Cuisine and "health" breakfast cereal), and finally found PB, lost 25 lbs on it so far but still have a long way to go? I can't be like "look at my awesome abs". I am still obese but feel like for once I will fix this. I jsut feel frustrated when I get judgemental stares and comments when I eat things like chicken thighs with the skin on and brussel sprouts cooked in coconut oil. Everyone loves to give me unsolicited advice like how to cook vegetables without coconut oil or how many calories I'll save if I didn't eat the chicken skin ... It is FRUSTRATING. I can't wait to lose the weight for vindication (too bad right now I am in sort of a stall pattern - but I will lose it!).
    You should just tell people that you have already lost 25 pounds eating this way. That is nothing to be ashamed of.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    You should just tell people that you have already lost 25 pounds eating this way. That is nothing to be ashamed of.
    I like it.

You could just say, "thanks, I'll bear that in mind" if you want to be polite. Or say nothing, it's actually none of anyone's business - although I guess some of the advice is well intended.

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mandypandy2246 View Post
    I get this too. I'm not overweight or anything, but I still look chubby. And when people see what I have for breakfast and lunch, they stare at me, and I just want to sink through the floor, because I know what they're thinking.

Croak is offline Senior Member
    I got a lot of raised eyebrows and outright criticism and warnings from friends and co-workers when I started this WOE.

Now I get a lot of questions from those same people, seeking advice. Losing 100 pounds and counting in a year or so, while still looking and feeling healthy (with the bloodwork to prove it) tends to have that effect.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Most people I now know didn't know me a few years back.
    I'm considering carry a photo of 16-y-o me to show anyone who compliments my "good metabolism".

Side-note: there seems to be two types of people regarding metabolism.
    Type 1: "Metabolic differences are so small, there's NO WAY you at bmr can burn a WHOLE 500kcal more than the average person!"
    Type 2: "Metabolism is the perfect scapegoat for my weight/illness and I won't accept any evidence it can be changed!"
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    OP, that is too funny. When I worked in an office recently, I got the same thing a lot. Coworker is nuking him/herself a Lean Cuisine, watching wide-eyed as I prepare my lunch plate of stuff like steak, avocado, bacon, sweet potato with butter, etc. But I was known as "that fitness girl" around the office because in the "getting to know you" part of my first staff meeting I mentioned teaching yoga, so the comments I got were in the vein of "I wish I had time to work out as much as you, then I could eat like that." I usually responded with, "I eat like this so I'm able to work out as much as I do, not the other way around."

After 4 years of Primal living, I've gotten used to just leaving people alone about their food (unsolicited advice almost never goes over well), but man, it's hard to watch sad, overweight, obviously ill people poking away at their Lean Cuisines. I want to just shake them and scream, "LET ME SHOW YOU THE WAY!"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast