I remember being young and having to cut the lawn. I don't like lawns, because all they do is get cut down. Better to be growing food in them!

The clippings for us went to compost. This is actually potentially dangerous - if the pile is big enough and gets wet, the inside can begin to ferment and catch the outside on fire. Happened once, it was great. I always wondered why local farmers (and there were some, then) weren't going house to house gathering up clippings. I'd have given them away willingly, less work for me.

It was also the way in the middle ages; later in the year one would mow with scythes grasses from meadows specifically set aside for this purpose (that's what separated Meadow from Pasture in medieval English parlance - Meadow doesn't get grazed). Several laws regarded regulation and use.

So what I'm wondering is why we don't farm grass for CAFO operations. Grassy, meadow style stuff takes about negative amounts of work to maintain. You get several "crops" a year, even without spraying or fertilizing it.

My guess is that it's not as energy dense, so they don't fatten / muscle up before slaughter as well. You can still pack them in there, though.

Not that I support CAFO operations (egads no), but I'm still wondering why grass farming isn't a thing.

M.