Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advertising Cereals as "Healthy" ; stop being fooled... page

zebonaut is offline Senior Member

Advertising Cereals as "Healthy" ; stop being fooled...

Primal Fuel
    Saw an ad for the ceral "Grape Nuts Fit"
    Sounds really healthy; ... its a disaster.

We grew up believing it was great stuff. "100%" of your daily allowance of grain. LOL. Firstly the name ; "Fit" . Its got 0 Cholesterol. Wow. Sounds healthy. Its "power packed". Meaningless. No saturated fat; only 5% total fat. Wow. In truth; its got over 40 grams of Carbohydrate. Possibly more than 70 grams. All processed. They tout its "fiber". I get more fiber from a bell pepper. Oh and 9 grams of wonderful healthy sugar.... Yum. Tooth decay and wheat irritable bowel.

Check out the label:

Grape-Nuts Fit Nutrition Information | Post Foods
    Last edited by zebonaut; 03-19-2013 at 03:22 AM.

wiltondeportes Guest
    The Grapenuts are like salad to me. They're foods with less energy sold as healthy because most people's energy expenditure is below their intake. Try selling Grapenuts and salads to farm workers, and they will laugh in your face. It's no accident taco trucks sell dense energy for the price; their customers need that fatty meat and complex carb rice.

You could feed a nation with little energy to expend even less energy to digest, but that would only lower further the energy they expend.
    You could feed a nation with little energy to expend more energy to digest, but will they expend it?
    You could tell a nation with little energy to expend to expend more energy, but where does it come from?

I think people right now have plenty of energy that they are consuming. Sure, they could clean out their stomachs by lowering fiber intake and removing the difficult to digest stuff like grains. They could eat more meat, which has denser minerals and also improves mineral absorption to boot, a double whammy. They could even replace sodas and candies with more water and fruit.

I think we have a bigger "lack of energy expenditure" problem than a "lack of energy intake" problem. Of course, tell that to a white collar nation bent on creating more service jobs. The correct and easy way out is overlooked every day. Just work out more, or make your lifestyle a work out.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 03-19-2013 at 03:24 AM.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Pretty sure most people on this forum of all places know cereal is crap.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

zebonaut is offline Senior Member
    I grew up in the 70's and was fooled....I need to vent

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebonaut View Post
    I grew up in the 70's and was fooled....I need to vent
    There are a whole list of Foods you have been mislead by...Venting is good though
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Grape nuts was always my favorite cereal. It was the densest of them all. I ate it with half-and-half. I brought it backpacking because it didn't get smooshed in my backpack.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Marinas Florin is offline Senior Member
    Cereals = useless sources of energy
    No Bull fat loss and muscle gaining at http://www.nobsbb.com

I am not a bodybuilding/fat loss/strength training "guru" BUT I achieved a lean state with ease after learning the correct way to train and eat and I want to HELP YOU achieve the same.

Lose Weight/Gain Muscle/Strength - FEEL BETTER

Start here: http://www.nobsbb.com/new-start-here/

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Oh man I used to LOVE Grapenuts though, with whole milk and a teaspoon of brown sugar. That shit was divine. :3 I seriously never (and still don't) know what a "Grapenut" is though I assume it has nothing to do with grapes or nuts. =P

Wiki: Grape-Nuts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by qqemokitty; 03-19-2013 at 03:23 PM.

VADogWalker is offline Member
    The most irritating cereal commercial on tv right now is for the Honey Bunches of Oats Greek Honey Crunch that's a "Greek Yogurt and honey" cereal, with "chunks" of Greek yogurt in it. CHUNKS? How the heck do they do that? The commercial is soooo demoralizing, women chowing down on cereal saying how delicious it is and how HEALTHY they feel. Gag.

Just looked at the product info online here. The ingredient list reads like a recipe for rocket fuel.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by VADogWalker View Post
    The most irritating cereal commercial on tv right now is for the Honey Bunches of Oats Greek Honey Crunch that's a "Greek Yogurt and honey" cereal, with "chunks" of Greek yogurt in it. CHUNKS? How the heck do they do that? The commercial is soooo demoralizing, women chowing down on cereal saying how delicious it is and how HEALTHY they feel. Gag.

Just looked at the product info online here. The ingredient list reads like a recipe for rocket fuel.
    It is the same "yogurt" that is used to cover "yogurt-covered" raisins sold in the bulk food bins. It is a white-colored sugar coating with some minimal powdered dehydrated yogurt they can use to claim there is yogurt in it.

When I was in my 20s, I used to eat Grape-Nuts for breakfast with heavy cream poured over them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast