Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advertising Cereals as "Healthy" ; stop being fooled... page 2

Primal Fuel
    I find the SPecial K commercials the most demoralizing. Eat this processed crap devoid of nutritional value (but we added some vitamins back in) and you will lose weight. I find the Kashi commercials the most misleading - if only people knew how much sugar was in some of their kashi products.

QueenOfTheDwarrows is offline Junior Member
    I used to eat Grape Nut Os--THOSE were delicious and way better than the regular Grape Nuts. Still bad for you though. And what kind of a name is Grape Nuts??

little vase is offline Senior Member
    I used to love grape nuts as a yogurt topping. Sooooo crunchy. Went so well with the creamy tang of yogurt. I don't miss them though.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    ... I kinda miss Grape Nuts. With milk, hot from the microwave...

I totally agree about Special K... Their slogan is "What will you gain when you lose?" Whelp, a lot of people will never find out, because they'll stay fat eating cereal!!!

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mandypandy2246 View Post
    I find the SPecial K commercials the most demoralizing. Eat this processed crap devoid of nutritional value (but we added some vitamins back in) and you will lose weight. I find the Kashi commercials the most misleading - if only people knew how much sugar was in some of their kashi products.
    more than in an equal serving of Froot Loops!!
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    It's a damn shame that we have to become so cynical about advertising claims. The first time I heard Kashi's claim about having as much protein as an egg, my immediate thought was, "Yeah, but how much do you have to eat?"

A serving (3/4 cup) of Kashi Go Lean has 10 grams of protein and 190 calories (before you put on the milk).

1.6 eggs has 10 grams of protein at 111 calories.

So, not only is cereal just filler, but even for those who are only worried about calories to stay slim, Kashi cereal is a sucky choice and its claims of having as much protein as an egg are disingenuous. As a note, Kashi is owned by the Kellogg company.

A good rule of thumb is that if a product in a grocery store is placed on the shelves where an average height woman can easily see it, look higher and lower for a better alternative. At my local Whole Foods, Bragg's ACV is on the bottom shelf. (I knew that elective marketing class would do me some good. )
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

zebonaut is offline Member
    Of course no one can eat just one bowl of cereal, you will probably come back for a second or third bowl

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

irishfoxy is offline Member
    I really hate the new ads for Bear Paws - they have some sort of "fruit" bar that they're marketing as healthy. First off, you can see that it's simply a cookie with jam on it. How is that healthy???? It's totally pushed towards kids, telling them it's a healthy morning snack - since when do we need morning snacks? - and all the kids look happy and fun and laughing and cool.

It disgusts me.
    28 years old, insurance broker
    starting weight 195 lbs (5'4")
    working on losing weight, getting active, and curing my GERD

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    People are becoming more health-conscious around me, ditching eggs for cereal. Nobody advertises for eggs...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast