Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can you explain what this means? page

MalPaz is offline Senior Member

can you explain what this means?

Primal Fuel
    "Cooking does, however, produce some inflammatory compounds. I don't think that most of the rearrangements of carbs, e.g. caramelization, that produce browning and new flavors, are a problem, but browning proteins with carbs, e.g. grilling, results in glycation. The glycation of proteins with high blood sugar is what causes the dangerous symptoms of diabetes."

confused...??

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I don't get it, either. Grilling is just browning proteins, not proteins with carbs. And there are proteins in vegetables. So WTF.

it was what dr ayers said at cooling inflammation... im confused...dont grill veggies and beef together??

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    When they say that glycation (AGES) cause the symptoms of diabetes, they are talking about when somebody has massive insulin resistance, eats a muffin and the glucose circulates for a long time smacking into proteins and causing the forming of AGES that do a lot of damage to the body. Cooking can produce glycated proteins in meat but generally few of them get absorbed and a lot of them are dealt with by the immune system residing in our gut before they get to the blood stream where is where they do the real damage. I wouldn't over-cook anything and favor slow cooking methods, but I wouldn't sweat it.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

thank you

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    The carbs are what produce the most glycation, (that's one reason we minimize them:-) We don't want a lot of glycation going on (which happens when you eat carbs, but fructose in particular is the most glycating) because it ages our cells (esp. collagen and temporal lobe brain cells. Yikes!)

Also I just skimmed a medical journal article and it looks like the jist is don't cook your steak with sugar-heavy bbq sauce. Fructose glycates proteins like mad during cooking, as it does in the blood.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    "The glycation of proteins with high blood sugar is what causes the dangerous symptoms of diabetes."
    I think the concept is a bit strange, because what is dangerous is glycating proteins that already exist in your body as part of functional molecules (enzymes, receptors, whatnot), not just "protein" in general. Eating glycated proteins isn't at all the same thing. They will be digested and broken down into glucose and amino acids.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    "Cooking does, however, produce some inflammatory compounds. I don't think that most of the rearrangements of carbs, e.g. caramelization, that produce browning and new flavors, are a problem, but browning proteins with carbs, e.g. grilling, results in glycation. The glycation of proteins with high blood sugar is what causes the dangerous symptoms of diabetes."
    Here's a little more information. It appears that eating glycated proteins isn't in and of itself a problem, but eating what is created when the proteins glycate:
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-glycation.htm
    Glycation also occurs outside the body, however. In fact, exogenous glycations are responsible for allowing foods to brown during cooking. This type of glycation is dubbed the Maillard reaction, in honor of the early 20th century French chemist that first observed how sugars react with fats or proteins while exposed to high temperatures. While crisp French fries and grilled meats may be tasty, the reaction that produces them also creates 2-propenamide, a suspected carcinogen that comes with the meal. In addition, exogenous AGEs are sometimes added to certain foods to enhance color and flavor, including baked goods, dark colas, and coffee.

and on HCA's (possibly problematic compounds created when roasting at high temps)
    http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/f...ocyclic-amines
    "Research has shown that cooking certain meats at high temperatures creates chemicals that are not present in uncooked meats. A few of these chemicals may increase cancer risk. For example, heterocyclic amines (HCAs) are the carcinogenic chemicals formed from the cooking of muscle meats such as beef, pork, fowl, and fish. HCAs form when amino acids (the building blocks of proteins) and creatine (a chemical found in muscles) react at high cooking temperatures. Researchers have identified 17 different HCAs resulting from the cooking of muscle meats that may pose human cancer risk."

Best,
    Katherine

Nice post, cillacat. And nice posting in general. We certainly welcome people with lots of knowledge who aren't afraid to elaborate.

Mark said something in a radio show he did a few days ago about antioxidant-rich food counteracting a lot of the carcinogens created even in the case of over-cooking. He said even a salad pretty much nullified the carcinogenic compounds, although I forget which ones he was specifically talking about.

It also appears that cooking with spices greatly reduces certain allegedly harmful compounds. http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/91/5/1180

Although I suspect that heightened postprandial antioxidant status is effective too. Also, certain phytonutrients inhibit AGES formed in the blood by circulating sugars. That being said most studies looking at harmful effects of cooking on meats usually use excessive heat and reckless cooking temperatures. I'd be interested to know what my boiled/simmered cow tongue swimming in spices contains. Not a lot I'm guessing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast