Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: People who don't make faces when they deadlift page 2

jmsmall is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Haven't done deadlifts in decades. You guys really are making it sound great!

Still working up my squat form, probably will defer deadlifts a few more weeks.

Ally415 is offline Senior Member
    awesome!!
    My Health and Nutrition Blog
    @ VIBRANTE
    http://viibrante.wordpress.com/

@ jmsmall hehe you should give them a go again

they are total beast mode lol
    @ VIBRANTE

RichMahogany~ I never thought my petite self could be the reason why my big lifts progress very slow. Makes sense!

I'm also probably not recovering well. Thanks for pointing this out! I have good eats, (plants & animals) but I'm probably not eating enough. I get full fast and eating past 2000 cals I have to MAKE myself eat.

I rarely stretch :/

I deadlift twice a week 1 set of heavy 5 reps
    @ VIBRANTE

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ally415 View Post
    I'm also probably not recovering well. Thanks for pointing this out! I have good eats, (plants & animals) but I'm probably not eating enough. I get full fast and eating past 2000 cals I have to MAKE myself eat.
    So make yourself eat. I'm doing that right now, eating 3 meals when I prefer 2, keeping calories and nutrients high. I'm lifting more than ever before and definitely not gaining an unreasonable amount of fat. I'm not at my leanest, but I'm really not too far off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ally415 View Post
    I deadlift twice a week 1 set of heavy 5 reps
    Well you can't deadlift twice a week forever (assuming you're adding weight to the bar regularly). I'm not sure if you're at the point where that's too much, but you might be. I'm deadlifting once a week nowadays and contemplating whether to cut that down.

Moral of the story: Remember it's not lifting that makes your muscles stronger, it's recovering from lifting.

Eat more and sleep more and you'll lift more. It's actually that simple.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Well you can't deadlift twice a week forever (assuming you're adding weight to the bar regularly). I'm not sure if you're at the point where that's too much, but you might be. I'm deadlifting once a week nowadays and contemplating whether to cut that down.

Moral of the story: Remember it's not lifting that makes your muscles stronger, it's recovering from lifting.

Eat more and sleep more and you'll lift more. It's actually that simple.
    This. You shouldn't be deadlifting 2x week. you're lifting big for a small person. You tax your CNS as well DL'ing. You can squat 2x a week, but should really only DL 1x a week.

Primal Moose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    This. You shouldn't be deadlifting 2x week. you're lifting big for a small person. You tax your CNS as well DL'ing. You can squat 2x a week, but should really only DL 1x a week.
    I beg to differ. Look at Pavel Tsatsouline. Namely his Power to the People book. He recommends taking the deadlift (or variation) and an overhead or side press variation and doing two sets of five, five days a week. It works for a lot of people. Most people who use it eventually stop, not because of lack of progress, but to change things up more.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Moose View Post
    I beg to differ. Look at Pavel Tsatsouline. Namely his Power to the People book. He recommends taking the deadlift (or variation) and an overhead or side press variation and doing two sets of five, five days a week. It works for a lot of people. Most people who use it eventually stop, not because of lack of progress, but to change things up more.
    I'm assuming Pavel is talking about very light sets, because you cannot lift your 5 rep max five days a week. I'm going to go with Rippetoe on this and say to deadlift once a week. For that matter, I usually do one work set of DLs, which is usually at or close to my 5 RM.

Primal Moose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    I'm assuming Pavel is talking about very light sets, because you cannot lift your 5 rep max five days a week. I'm going to go with Rippetoe on this and say to deadlift once a week. For that matter, I usually do one work set of DLs, which is usually at or close to my 5 RM.
    Nope. One heavy set, followed by another set at 90% that weight. And constantly adding weight to the bar through different methods of periodization (sp?). Also, if you want to use his "Russian Bear" program, same two sets above, then drop the weight down to 80% and crank out as many sets as your body will allow. Though, admittedly, THAT routine is definitely not something you could do for extended periods of time.

No offense to Rippetoe, I am a huge fan of his and have used Starting Strength with success before, but I definitely don't agree with him on everything (deadlift volume being one of them) and many other coaches I respect, while they respect him, too, disagree with him on many things as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Moose View Post
    Nope. One heavy set, followed by another set at 90% that weight. And constantly adding weight to the bar through different methods of periodization (sp?). Also, if you want to use his "Russian Bear" program, same two sets above, then drop the weight down to 80% and crank out as many sets as your body will allow. Though, admittedly, THAT routine is definitely not something you could do for extended periods of time.

No offense to Rippetoe, I am a huge fan of his and have used Starting Strength with success before, but I definitely don't agree with him on everything (deadlift volume being one of them) and many other coaches I respect, while they respect him, too, disagree with him on many things as well.
    Ok, we'll have to agree to disagree!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast