Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about sardines and kelp noodles page

MprDoc is offline Senior Member

Questions about sardines and kelp noodles

My wife wants to get some kelp noodles for when we make soup - going to try to make my own pho soon! - and I was wondering if anyone out there had a recomendation for a brand I could order off the internet or possible find at a natural foods store.

My second question is about sardines. I am going to start eating more because they are cheap, transportable nd healthy and is a good way for me to get some extra protein and some good omega fats to since my wife doesn't eat a lot of fish (shes getting better ); is it better to get the ones in olive oil or water? I know that olive is considered healthy but at the same time I dont know if its healthy to eat something that has been completely saturated in it. Additionally can anyone recomend a good way to prepare these guys other than just eat them on salad?

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    On sardines I keep small cans in my desk at work. The kind in olive oil. Just crack it open and eat em. A good backup food to have handy.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Make sure it's olive oil they come in. Ours are all canola oil, so we get them in brine instead.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Paleobird Guest
    For the kelp noodles I recommend Sea Tangle brand.

For sardines I like Crown Prince. They have several different ways besides just oil or water of being packed. Check their website. Personally I find water packed ones to be kinda mushy and boring.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Only problem with kelp in general is that it is SUCH a rich source of iodine that you can overdo it and that's not good. Iodine is a bioaccumulative mineral, meaning that it accumulates and doesn't go away until it is used. Just don't make a daily habit of them and you'll be fine though. Once a week, maybe twice tops, should be fine.

MprDoc is offline Senior Member
    Thanks all, good info!

Marinas Florin is offline Senior Member
    Both options are good but the ones in oil taste better.
    No Bull fat loss and muscle gaining at http://www.nobsbb.com

I am not a bodybuilding/fat loss/strength training "guru" BUT I achieved a lean state with ease after learning the correct way to train and eat and I want to HELP YOU achieve the same.

Lose Weight/Gain Muscle/Strength - FEEL BETTER

Start here: http://www.nobsbb.com/new-start-here/

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    For the kelp noodles I recommend Sea Tangle brand.

For sardines I like Crown Prince. They have several different ways besides just oil or water of being packed. Check their website. Personally I find water packed ones to be kinda mushy and boring.
    PB, have you eaten Wild Planet sardines? If yes, how do they compare to Crown Prince? CP are so much less expensive than WP but I am reluctant to switch because WP have been so consistently good. Thanks.

johnmjoy is offline Member
    We've been buying olive oil packed Season brand sardines at the Costco.

Last time I bought kelp noodles they were Gold Mine brand, at Amazon. Will have to try Sea Tangle (and I'm overdue to order some, so...)

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    In oil is always better tasting to me that in water. But in nothing is the best. There are several brands of canned fish that don't add anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast