Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Itchy Feet : Scratch Walks Across page 2

Ljphalen is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Haha, yeah, I'd love some sugar and peanuts wrapped in plastic, thank you!

33 Days To Go

I'm giving my notice at work tomorrow (officially, I mean. Everyone's known for a while that I'm leaving).

I dehydrated some ground bison. This is amazing, I dehydrated 5.5 lbs of ground bison, and when all was said and done, it was only 2 cups! This is going to be a great basis for camp food! I have decided to dehydrate some ground turkey as well, since it worked so well with the beef. A girl likes to have options.

Patti is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations on deciding to take such an amazing journey. I'm looking forward to reading more as you get ready to depart.

Also, if I understand correctly, you will be traveling from Canada to the US initially. If so, have you checked out the restrictions for food brought into the US for personal use? The meats may or may not be a problem.

Thanks for the heads up, and I'm all in order. As long as I have my receipt for the meat, which I do, I am fine to bring it across the border.

Here are the relevant paragraphs on that, in case anyone else is in need of the information:

"Food products from Canada, including pet food and fresh (frozen or chilled), cooked, canned or otherwise processed products containing beef, veal, bison, and cervid (e.g. deer, elk, moose, caribou etc.) are now permitted from Canada in passenger baggage. Products containing sheep, lamb, or goat will not be allowed entry.

The passenger must provide proof of the origin of beef, pork, poultry, cervid meat, and pet food in order to bring them into the United States. Examples of proof of origin include the grocery store receipt where the product was purchased or the label on the product indicating the province in which it was packaged."

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Hopefully they won't need the meat in original state and package to get it over. God willing you'll get by without issues.
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Just over a month to go

I am dealing pretty well with getting all my preparations in order, I've just got a couple of money things to work out, but nonetheless have had some anxiety the last week. It's been mostly short-lived episodes of physical symptoms (chest pain and hyperventilation, nausea), and I've been using positive self-talk to bring myself back to level. I'm feeling good about how I'm coping.

I talked to my mum about it, and she said that it was normal, that I've been living a subtle life for the last five years and I'm not used to feeling excited like this.

Everyone keeps telling me to breathe deeply. I breathe deeply. I'm glad I have the tools I need to feel anxious without falling apart.

One thing I haven't mentioned before, that is contributing in large part to the anxiety I feel, is that I am in a relationship that is ending. I've never had a real break-up before, and I guess I am lucky because it's a "civilized" break-up. There's no question that we'll be friends. But I've been in this relationship since I was 19, almost my entire adult life, and so at the end of this month I am going to be a single woman for the first time. Also terrifying.

Annieh is online now Senior Member
    What an amazing journey it will be, I am following your preparations with interest. I am sorry about your relationship, that is not a small thing, so it is no wonder you are anxious. Best wishes.

Shoes and stuff.

So for the last couple of years, I've mostly been wearing aqua socks: they've got little to no heel drop and they are very lightweight and comfortable. I also never get sore feet or a sore back since I switched. I bought a new pair of aqua socks for my walk, and also a pair of regular sandals for backup.

image.jpg

I bought my camp stove today, too, a tiny light solid-fuel one. I remember using these when I was a kid.

image.jpg

I am excited, I have less than 3 weeks until I leave town, I bought my bus ticket to San Francisco ($107 from Vancouver to SF!). I am going to buy some raw milk while I'm there, just to try it.

I am going to practice rehydrating my dried cooked bison, I will report on how it goes. Here's what 5lbs of meat looks like dehydrated:

image.jpg
    My Walk From West Coast to East Coast

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread81011.html

you get 100 grams for every pound then by the looks of it eh? That looks like it would go well over a salad or mixed with avocado in it's dehydrated state!
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt

How comfy are those shoes? I'm just wondering if they'd make a decent replacement for minimalist shoes for every day use

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast