Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Almost-Primal Orthodox Christian Lenten Eating and Cooking page

Antiochia is offline Senior Member

Almost-Primal Orthodox Christian Lenten Eating and Cooking

Primal Fuel
    (Note: There is a recipe index at posts #101 and #102 at the top of page 11:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1253768)

Blessed Lent 2013 to all Orthodox Christian Groksters out there!!! This year our Pascha (Easter) is just about as late as it can be – May 5. We are on a different schedule than our Roman Catholic and Protestant Christian brothers and sisters. Some years we have the same Easter, some years we are one week later and some years – like this year – we are 5 weeks later, so today is our first day of Lent.

For those of you who are curious about the Lenten challenges we face regarding diet, here is the way Lenten Fasting is done in my church -- different priests may use different guidelines. If you are an Orthodox Christian, follow the advice of your own priest!

First of all, of course, pregnant and nursing mothers are not supposed to fast. Also if you are sick you don't need to fast. Fasting is to weaken us and make us more dependent and focused on God. If you are sick you are already dependent on God. If you get sick during Lent, lighten the fast!!!

According to my priest, Orthodox Lenten fasting is entered into in a series of steps:

1. The first step is to abstain from meat (this step does not include abstaining from seafood). For first-timers, this is all my priest recommends. On this step we are not to worry about the restrictions on eggs, dairy, etc... This one step is enough for beginners. At this step my priest also recommends trying to attend as many Lenten services as you can. Although if attending every service is too heavy a burden, he says to take a break -- but come back after missing a service or two.

When my husband and I were inquiring into the Orthodox faith the priest told us about one young man who did everything perfectly his first Lent. He followed all of the fasting guidelines and he came to all of the services. The last service he came to was Pascha (Easter) – after which our priest never saw him again. The effort had been too great and he never wanted to repeat it. How sad!

2. The next step into Orthodox Lenten fasting is to abstain from eggs or dairy.

3. The next step is to abstain from fish with backbones. (Frequently though, when Orthodox Christians are traveling during Lent and we have to depend on restaurants for meals, we will eat fish.)

4. The next step is not to cook with olive oil or drink wine or alcoholic beverages on week days.

(Seafood without backbones: clams, shrimp, oysters, scallops, etc... are always okay.)

Wine and Olive oil are allowed on Saturdays and Sundays during Lent because Saturday is the Sabbath observed by Jesus and the day he rested in the tomb, and Sunday is the Lord's day – the Day of Resurrection. They are feast days within the Fast.

Fish, oil, and wine are allowed on the Annunciation (March 25) and on Palm Sunday. Wine is allowed on Holy Thursday in remembrance of the Lord's Supper.

So, as you can see – during Lent we need to take an “almost-Primal” approach to our cooking and eating – hence the name of this thread.

Anyone out there with some good suggestions for us regarding how we can keep the fast without getting too far off the primal beaten path is welcome to post!
    Last edited by Antiochia; 07-17-2013 at 08:22 AM.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

IF, of course is a good option -- especially for breakfast. However if you aren't up for IF in the morning, here are a couple of breakfast suggestions:

QUICK *CEREAL*
    Mostly fill a bowl with berries or other fruit. Then put about a quarter cup or so of walnuts on top. After that I top it with a spoonful of hemp hearts, some sunflower seeds, a tablespoon or so of ground flax seed, and some shredded unsweetened coconut. I'm sure there may be other things one could add too, like pumpkin seeds and sliced almonds. Then I pour on my cereal "milk" (half coconut milk and half almond milk with a little maple syrup to taste) and eat with a spoon

Another thing I do for breakfast is a green smoothie--
    Add to a blender:
    1 chopped apple
    1/4 avocado (or more if you like)
    Pulp of 1/2 lemon (I scoop it out with a grapefruit spoon)
    1 cup of cold green tea (Note: I put a couple of green tea bags in a quart jar of water and let it sit for a few hours, then put it in the fridge so it is ready -- an easy way to make green "sun tea")

I blend all of the above together until it is nice and smooth, then I add a few handfuls of greens -- like spinach, collards, kale, or Romaine and blend well. I keep adding greens until I know there is a good amount in there, but I don't measure.

I find as long as I add the avocado, I don't need to add any sweetener.

Blessed Lent!

(Copied from http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34001-4.html)
    Last edited by Antiochia; 07-11-2013 at 07:36 AM.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Here is a vegan buckwheat pancake recipe (buckwheat is not a grain, however it is pretty high in carbs). This makes a pretty good choice for a Saturday breakfast:

BUCKWHEAT PANCAKES

1 cup buckwheat flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup coconut milk (not “lite”)
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon coconut oil
    1 tablespoon honey
    Up to 1/2 cup applesauce
    Additional coconut oil for frying

In a large bowl, mix together the buckwheat flour, salt, and soda. Measure out the coconut milk in a glass measuring cup and add the lemon juice and stir well. Melt some coconut oil. (I just scoop some out into a custard cup and melt in the microwave.) Pour the coconut milk/lemon juice into the dry ingredients. Measure out 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil and add to the bowl. Measure out 1 tablespoon of honey with the oiled tablespoon and add to the bowl and stir. Add in applesauce - start with 1/4 cup and see if that is enough for pancake consistency – if not add in the rest.

Fry up the pancakes using coconut oil to grease the pan. Makes about 7 – 8 pancakes (about 4 to 5 inch diameter).

Blessed Lent!
    ( Copied from http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34001-4.html )

Edit 3-27-13: I made this recipe this morning and used all of the applesauce; the batter was still plenty thick so I ended up using some water also to get it to pancake consistency. However, I had run out of lemons and substituted rice vinegar for the lemon juice -- I wonder if that made a difference. Anyway, this morning the recipe made 10 pancakes (about 4" diameter).
    Last edited by Antiochia; 07-11-2013 at 07:46 AM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

This recipe is good for when you are really missing something bread-y or cakey.

CEREAL-BOWL COFFEE CAKE

First, in a small bowl mix together the wet ingredients:
    1 tablespoon golden flax meal
    2 tablespoons water
    1/4 cup applesauce
    1 tablespoon honey
    1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
    Let sit for 5 minutes or more so the flax meal can get “eggy”

Then, using coconut oil, grease a cereal bowl very well (for cooking the cake)

In another small bowl, mix the topping ingredients:
    2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
    1 Tablespoon almond meal
    1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
    1-1/2 teaspoons applesauce
    1-1/2 teaspoons palm sugar or brown sugar or other granulated sweetener

Then after the flax mixture has soaked, stir the following into the flax mixture and mix well:
    2 tablespoons coconut flour
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/8 teaspoon baking powder
    Dash salt

Spoon into the greased cereal bowl and top with the topping ingredients. Bake on high in the microwave for 2 and a half to 3 minutes. Let cool and enjoy.

This will make one or two servings.

Nutrition Info for entire recipe: Calories: 346.0; Fat: 17.7g; Carbohydrates: 44.9g; Protein: 8.3g
    Last edited by Antiochia; 07-11-2013 at 07:50 AM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Lunch is often my Lenten version of the *Big Ass Salad* (See 2 Minute Salad | Mark's Daily Apple) This is especially good for the days I work; I'm a preschool teacher and some days I eat lunch with the kids.

I usually put some kind of protein in the bottom of a large plastic container: Cooked Seafood, or occasionally cooked chick peas. Then either I cut up a tomato and/or avocado, or I cut up some fruit (I especially like apples or strawberries) If I use an apple or avocado, I squeeze in some lemon juice and give it all a quick stir. I also add salad dressing (a couple recipes to follow). Then on top of the protein and tomato or fruit, if I'm adding cooked veggies like asparagus, broccoli, or green beans, I add them first. Then I add solid raw veggies: sliced or chopped onion, cucumber, green pepper, celery and whatever else I have on hand like radishes, carrots, etc... I use the raw veggies to separate the wet ingredients from the greens so my greens don't wilt by lunchtime. Then I top everything with 1-1/2 to 2 cups of greens -- usually Romaine or Spinach. I put the lid on and put it in my lunch bag. Then I add a fork and a package of nuts and possibly some extra dressing in a bottle or some lemon wedges to squeeze instead of dressing.

When it is time to eat I either stir everything up with my fork and eat it out of the plastic bowl and add the nuts, or if we are using plates I turn the bowl up-side-down on a plate. The lettuce will end up on the bottom and all the good stuff will be on top.

I don't use any more that 1-1/2 to 2 cups greens because I've found out from experience that I can't finish that much salad in the time it takes for the preschool kids to finish their lunches!

As to salad dressings, I often just keep a small bottle of vinegar (balsamic, or raw apple cider vinegar) in my purse and a small bottle of cold pressed sunflower oil in my purse. This also works great for restaurants and I don't need to use their chemical laden concoctions.

My next post will be my two favorite Salad Dressings
    Last edited by Antiochia; 03-28-2013 at 07:31 AM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

DIJON VINAIGRETTE

Ingredients:
    3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil*
    1/3 cup cold pressed sunflower oil*
    1/3 cup raw apple cider vinegar (Bragg)
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper

*Note: For weekday Lenten meals you can use all Sunflower Oil -- or for feastday meals you can use all olive oil. Or you may decide this isn't something to get picky about. You may also use part flax oil.

Directions:
    Mix all together and whisk or shake well. Makes a little less than 2 cups. Keep in a pint size jar. Does not need refrigeration.

HONEY VINAIGRETTE
    This salad dressing is especially good in salads with fruit -- like a spinach, strawberry, shrimp salad

In a jar with a screw top lid mix together the following ingredients:
    1/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar (Bragg)
    2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime or lemon juice
    2 tablespoons honey
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    2/3 cup sunflower oil or olive oil (you may use part flax oil)

Shake well!

I keep both these salad dressings on a cupboard shelf. I don't think either of them needs to be refrigerated. I have never had a problem with either of them going bad.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 07-11-2013 at 07:52 AM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Here's another great salad:

DOUBLE-MANGO SHRIMP SALAD for two

Ingredients:
    3 tablespoons salsa or picante sauce
    1 tablespoon mango or peach chutney
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    4 cups torn red leaf lettuce or Boston lettuce
    6 oz. cooked medium or large peeled and deveined shrimp
    1/2 cup diced mango OR papaya OR peach OR nectarine
    1/3 cup red or yellow bell pepper strips
    2 tablespoons minced cilantro
    1 avocado, sliced

Directions:
    In a medium bowl combine the salsa, chutney, mustard, and lime juice. Mix in the shrimp, mango, and red pepper strips.

Divide the lettuce between two plates. Top each plate of lettuce with have the shrimp mixture. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with sliced avocado.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 07-11-2013 at 07:54 AM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    My wife is abstaining from Facebook for Lent.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

SEAFOOD STEW

Some coconut oil
    1/2 cup onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
    1/2 teaspoon dried ground lemon grass (optional)
    1 teaspoon Italian seasonings
    juice of 1/4 lemon (or lemon juice to taste)
    2 cups vegetable broth (or 2 cups water plus vegetable broth seasoning)
    1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil (or 1/2 tsp dried basil)
    1 tablespoon Bragg Liquid Aminos
    salt and pepper, to taste
    water
    4 ounces scallops - cut into bite size pieces
    4 ounces precooked shrimp - cut into bite size pieces
    4 cups spinach (or as much as you can shove in the pot! - Extra spinach can't hurt!)

In a good sized soup pot, saute onion in a little coconut oil. When onion is cooked to your liking, add the garlic, ginger, lemon grass and Italian seasonings and saute briefly. Then add the rest of broth, lemon juice, basil, aminos, salt and pepper. Add some water until the sauce is the strength you like. After the sauce has simmered to the desired flavor, add scallops and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Next add pre-cooked shrimp and then fill up the pan to the top with spinach–as much as you can shove in (at least 4 cups). Cover with a lid and simmer for 3-5 minutes.

Makes 2 very large servings
    Last edited by Antiochia; 08-05-2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Lowered the amound of Bragg -- it was too salty
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Shelli is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for posting all these recipes and ideas!

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast