Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Almost-Primal Orthodox Christian Lenten Eating and Cooking page 8

Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Today, I was so full from the Tempeh Cacciatore last night, that I wasn't hungry for breakfast -- just had my warm water and lemon, coffee with coconut milk, a glass of V-8 juice, and my supplements. For lunch at the preschool I took cooked shrimp, and cocktail sauce (made from organic catsup, horseradish, and balsamic vinegar mixed to taste) some sliced cucumber, and an orange. There was a staff meeting after work so I was late getting home. I didn't think I could look at another shrimp today, so I just opened a can of Amy's organic Split Pea Soup. I know -- not primal!

So, I'll just share a favorite recipe with you. This is a wonderful dessert to take to Lenten potlucks (that is, unless people are fasting from chocolate -- you might have to substitute raisins or dates):

GRAIN-FREE CARROT BROWNIES

This recipe adapted from:Flourless Carrot Brownies

Ingredients:
    • 1-3/4 cups (16-oz.) unsalted natural almond butter
    • 3 cups finely grated carrots (about 6 carrots)
    • 2/3 cup honey
    • 2 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 1/3 cup cool water
    • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
    • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
    • 2 tsp baking soda
    • 1 tsp ground nutmeg
    • 1 tsp salt
    • 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
    • 1 10-oz. package dark chocolate chips

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350°, grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.

Note on carrots – when grating use the small side of a box grater, they need to be small to disappear into the brownies.

In a small bowl whisk the flaxseed meal and water together, let rest for 10 minutes to thicken. Then, in a large bowl, stir all the ingredients together, including the flaxseed mixture, until smooth. Spread evenly into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean in the center.

Let cool before cutting.

PS: As the brownies cool any remaining aroma of carrot will disappear.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 04-08-2013 at 08:39 PM.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

I won't be able to post much for the rest of the week -- my daughter and grandkids are visiting. At the moment, I'm making a big pot of soaked oatmeal (post #42) for everyone. I also mixed up a batch of my "Cereal Milk:"

CEREAL MILK
    1 14-oz. can coconut milk (not lite)
    1 can Almond Breeze unsweetened almond milk (measure with the coconut milk can)
    1 tablespoon maple syrup
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Put all ingredients in a quart size jar -- it will make a little less than a quart -- and shake well.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Crazy times! Two of my grandkids got the stomach flu (including one child who also swallowed a penny!). My daughter returned home in the lull between one kid being sick and the next kid getting it. Now to put the house back in order and get life back to normal. Sigh!

Anyway -- here is another recipe using buckwheat -- in some ways similar to my Buckwheat pancake recipe that is one of my staples during Lent. This muffin recipe looks interesting -- I haven't tried it yet. I found it at:
    Banana Buckwheat Muffins (Gluten-free, processed sugar-free, vegan): Detox recipe 13 of 21 | Find Your Balance

BANANA BUCKWHEAT MUFFINS

1 cup buckwheat flour
    1 Tbl. baking powder
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. ginger
    1 Tbl. extra virgin coconut oil
    2 very ripe bananas, mashed
    1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine bananas, coconut oil, and vanilla.

Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined. The batter will be fairly thick at this point. Add water until the batter loosens up a bit. It will still be a thick batter, but it should be able to be stirred.

Grease muffin tins or use muffin cups. Use an ice cream scooper to scoop batter into muffin tins. Fill tins about 3/4 full. The muffins will be on the smaller side. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Here is what we had for dinner tonight:

BROCCOLI SLAW STIR FRY

1 tablespoon grated ginger root
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 cup coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
    1 tablespoon frozen apple juice concentrate *
    1 tablespoon coconut oil
    1/2 cup slivered blanched almonds
    2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
    1 onion sliced into strips (about 1 cup)
    1 16-oz. bag of broccoli slaw
    8 oz. mushrooms, cleaned and sliced or cut in chunks (I used Baby Bellas)
    1 6-oz. bag of baby spinach
    Noodle or rice alternative to serve the stir fry over (your choice)
    Slices of fresh pineapple to serve on the side (optional)

*(Note: I partially thaw a 12-oz. can of frozen apple juice concentrate and put it in a wide mouth pint size canning jar and keep it in the freezer – it doesn’t hurt to re-freeze apple juice concentrate – then when I need some, I just scrape it out with a spoon. If I need apple juice for a recipe, I mix 1 part apple juice concentrate with 3 parts water to equal the amount I need for the recipe.)

In a small bowl mix together the ginger root, garlic powder, aminos (or soy sauce), and apple juice concentrate, and set aside.

In a small skillet, sauté the almonds in melted coconut oil until golden, drain on a plate covered with paper towel and set aside.

In a large skillet or electric frypan, add the toasted sesame oil, and the onions. Saute for a couple minutes then add the bag of broccoli slaw. Sauté and stir until broccoli is just tender, just a few minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook and stir for another minute. Add the small bowl of sauce mixture and the bag of spinach. Stir well, turn down the heat, and cover and cook until the spinach is wilted.

Serve over the rice or noodle alternative of your choice. Put the cooled almonds in a small bowl and let people spoon some browned almonds over their portion of stir fry. Serves about 4 people.

Note: I think sliced fresh pineapple would go well with this, but I didn't have any. We had avocado halves and lemon juice.

You could serve this over spaghetti squash, or cauliflower rice (post #13). I tried a new product tonight: Black Bean Spaghetti -- it isn't totally primal, but it was very filling: https://www.navanfoods.com/explore-a...bean-spaghetti I bought it at our local food co-op -- they were selling it for about $3.50 for an 8-oz. bag -- I'm surprised to see it more expensive on the internet.

Anyway, I cooked the black bean spaghetti in boiling salted water for 6 minutes, drained it, and added a little toasted sesame oil to the noodles. As I said before, it is very filling. A 2-oz. portion (measured before cooking) has 17 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber and 25 g protein.

Edit 4/17/13 - I used the leftovers in my lunch as a pasta salad for the last couple of days. I mixed the cold stir-fried veggies with the cold black bean noodles and added a little cold pressed sunflower oil (tastes like sunflower seeds!) and a little salt and pepper. It made a very good lunch. I may make this whole recipe to serve as a pasta salad at a potluck sometime!

Edit 7/19/13 - I made this tonight, but we were out of mushrooms, so I sliced a sweet potato in thick slices and cooked it separately in a saucepan with a small amount of coconut oil over medium/low heat. I covered the pot so it would also steam/cook in it's own natural juices. When the sweet potato slices were tender, I took the pot off the heat and then I added the cooked slices to the stir-fry after everything else was cooked. This was for a Friday evening supper. Tomorrow, being Saturday, is not a lenten day, so I will stir fry some chicken and add it to the leftovers.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 08-14-2013 at 11:08 AM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

This recipe looks wonderful (I haven't tried it) -- as is, it would be for a wine and oil day, otherwise you would have to make some substitutions:

Mussels in a Spicy Tomato Sauce | REMCooks
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

In addition to my other breakfast recipes (see note*), here is the smoothie I had this morning:

BLUEBERRY BANANA ALMOND SMOOTHIE

1 cup Cereal *Milk* (see post #72) or use half coconut milk and half almond milk
    1/2 cup frozen Blueberries
    1/2 frozen banana
    2 tablespoons almond butter

Put all ingredients in the blender and whiz until smooth.
    Makes 1 serving

*Note – Other breakfast food posts:
    Quick *Cereal* – Post #2
    Green Smoothie – Post #2
    Buckwheat Pancakes – Post #3
    Grain-free Cereal Bowl Coffee Cake – Post #4
    Lenten Oat Nut Waffles – Post #26
    Soaked Oatmeal – Post #42
    Cereal *Milk* – Post #72
    Banana Buckwheat Muffins – Post #73
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Here's another breakfast recipe. I haven't tried it yet -- I found it in Mark's eBook: Primal Living in the Real World page 64

ALMOND MEAL BLUEBERRY PANCAKES

2 cups almond meal
    1/2 cup finely shredded coconut
    1 cup coconut milk
    2 tablespoons coconut oil
    1 apple, grated
    1 cup fresh or frozen bllueberries
    3 tablespoons cinnamon

Mix all ingredients together and cook on hot [greased] griddle.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 04-16-2013 at 06:58 PM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Chia Seed Pudding is another breakfast option. Mark has several posts dealing with Chia. He doesn’t think people should eat them for the fiber (because they may contain too much fiber for some people) or for the vegetarian omega 3 – however, he mentions nothing about the protein they contain (there is 3 grams in a tablespoon) nor does he mention their gelling quality that allows you to use them to make an easy pudding similar to tapioca pudding. However, his final verdict is that chia seeds are primal:

"[Chia Seed] Verdict: Primal, but be wary of any superfood claims (unless they’re talking about liver and pastured egg yolks), closely monitor your fiber tolerance, and don’t rely on them for your omega-3s."

Read more: Are Chia Seeds Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

CHIA SEED PUDDING

About 2 cups Cereal “milk” (see post #72) or use half coconut milk and half almond milk
    1/4 cup chia seeds
    Maple syrup to taste (or other desired sweetener) – maybe a tablespoon or less
    Vanilla extract to taste – maybe a half teaspoon or less – none if you used the Cereal Milk recipe

Put the chia seed in a wide mouth pint size jar. Fill the jar about 2/3 full with your milk choice. Stir well or put on the lid and shake hard. Stir or shake every minute or two until the seeds stay evenly distributed – about 5 to 10 minutes. Let rest for another 5 minutes or so, then stir in the rest of the milk (to fill the jar) and any flavorings. Taste and adjust flavoring. Then refrigerate for several hours or overnight. This is great served over strawberries and/or bananas. I serve about half the jar for breakfast, which gives you about as much protein as an egg. A pint jar will serve about 2 people for breakfast or 3-4 people for dessert - especially if it is served with fruit.

Variations:
    For eggnog flavored chia pudding: Mix 1/2 teaspoon turmeric and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg with the chia seeds before you add the milk. (The spices are in addition to the sweetener and vanilla)

For chocolate, use one tablespoon of cocoa and mix with a small amount of your milk choice to make a thin paste. Add the chocolate paste to the chia seeds and milk before mixing or shaking. (Again, the cocoa is in addition to the sweetener and vanilla.)

For a feasting version when Lent is over, use Half and Half (coffee cream) as your milk choice.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 04-23-2013 at 04:48 PM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiochia View Post
    So, I'll just share a favorite recipe with you. This is a wonderful dessert to take to Lenten potlucks (that is, unless people are fasting from chocolate -- you might have to substitute raisins or dates):

GRAIN-FREE CARROT BROWNIES

This recipe adapted from:Flourless Carrot Brownies
    I made these tonight. I added 2T cocoa powder because the mix looked a bit orange. Really delicious! Super fudgy and no carrot taste. A 2" by 2" square was so dense, I couldn't eat another after dinner. Thanks for the recipe!
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes -- it IS really good! I'm glad you tried it -- I'll have to try it with cocoa, although believe me it is also good without! Hard to believe there is no flour, grain, eggs, dairy, or refined sugar in it. I'm sure non-paleo folks would not even know.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 04-21-2013 at 03:31 PM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast