Thread: Almost-Primal Orthodox Christian Lenten Eating and Cooking page 7

Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    If you are eating fish, check out these two recipes from the Forum:

PRIMAL SEAFOOD SOUP: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77290.html

and

HERRING SALAD: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1150520
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

PseudoDiva is offline Junior Member
    I'm so glad to see this thread! Christ is in our midst!

He is and ever will be! Blessed Lent!
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Here's an interesting "hummus" recipe:

JALAPENO, LIME, AND CASHEW HUMMUS

INGREDIENTS

• 30g Cashew Nuts
    • Juice of one large fresh lime
    • 3 cloves fresh garlic
    • 2 heaping tablespoons jalapeños
    • 1-2 tablespoons olive oil*
    • 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
    • Pinch of cumin, to taste
    • Red pepper flakes, to taste
    • Pinch of sea salt, to taste
    (*Note: you may need to substitute some other cold pressed oil.)

PREPARATION

1. Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor until smooth, adding oil until desired consistency.

I haven't tried this recipe yet. I found it here:
    NJ Paleo Girl: Paleo Lent- Week #3: A Taste of Mexico
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Blessed Feast of the Adoration of the Holy Cross! Third Sunday in Lent

Here's my report on the weekend so far:

Thursday evening - my brother and sister in law arrived. We went out for supper -- DH and I had the scallops.
    Friday breakfast - Buckwheat pancakes (post #3) with sliced strawberries, maple syrup, coffee with coconut milk
    Friday lunch -- out to lunch with my brother and SIL. I had my choice of a veggie burger or a Greek Salad -- I chose the Greek Salad (confession: I ate the Feta cheese in the salad - however, when we fast we are not to call attention to ourselves or to make life difficult for another person. Sometimes this means not eating completely Lenten. I had no desire to eat the veggie burger.)
    Friday Supper - Curried Sweet Potato Soup (post #56) and Honey Mustard Waldorf Salad (post #57), dark chocolate for dessert. My brother and SIL left, and my son arrived.
    Saturday Brunch - Lenten Oat-Nut Waffles (post #26) with Sauteed Apples (post #17), grapefruit half, coffee & coconut milk
    Saturday afternoon snack - can of sardines in olive oil (borderline Lenten) and an orange
    Saturday supper after church school and Vespers - The Easiest Thai Curry Ever (post #20), Cauliflower Rice (post #13), and leftover Honey Mustard Waldorf Salad (post #57), a piece of dark chocolate for dessert
    Sunday morning - fast for Liturgy - made a big salad in my punch bowl (post # 27) for coffee hour. At coffee hour I ate vegetarian borscht, some roasted root veggies, various salads, and fruit for dessert. I skipped the breads, bagels, cakes, cookies, and donuts. (With practice it has gotten easier to ignore them.)
    Sunday afternoon, we snacked on nuts, fruit, green pepper with nut butter, and coffee with coconut milk
    Now, I'm trying to figure out what we will have for supper tonight!
    Last edited by Antiochia; 04-07-2013 at 06:04 PM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Hmmmmm... I think we'll have Tempeh tonight. I see from Mark's Post
    10 Things to Know about Tofu | Mark's Daily Apple
    .. that Tempeh is okay!!!!

Quote:
    "7. Tempeh
    Here’s where soy gets healthy (finally!). Fermented soy products are rich in isoflavones, which are excellent for the heart and may even prevent cancer. The good news is that you can find fermented soy milk and tofu if you look for it (and grocery stores will often start carrying it if you just ask). Tempeh is a chewy, nutty, meaty type of soy product that is loaded with isoflavones, so I do recommend this. I think it’s a lot tastier than tofu, too.
    "
    Last edited by Antiochia; 04-07-2013 at 06:00 PM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Here is what we had for supper (this was amazingly good!):

TEMPEH CACCIATORE
    (a wine and oil recipe)

1 onion, sliced (about 1 cup)
    1 large carrot, diced (about 3/4 cup)
    Olive oil
    16 oz. tempeh, cut in cubes or rectangles
    1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
    1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
    2 celery stalks, sliced (about 3/4 cup)
    2 14-oz. cans diced tomatoes
    3/4 cup dry red wine
    3/4 cup vegetable stock (OR 3/4 cup water + 1 teaspoon vegetable broth flavoring)
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt (plus more for sprinkling)
    1/2 teaspoon pepper (plus more for sprinkling)
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 pound (or more) mushrooms, sliced
    3 tablespoons drained capers (optional)
    1 head cabbage, sliced (to use as a noodle substitute)
    Olives

In a good sized soup pot, sauté (or sweat) the onion and carrots in olive oil (I used 1/4 cup). After stirring and sautéing for several minutes, turn the heat down to low and simmer in the olive oil for 15 or 20 minutes or until the onions and carrots are tender.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet or electric fry pan, brown the tempeh in olive oil, sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Remove from pan and reserve in a bowl or plate.

Stir-fry the bell peppers and celery in olive oil. When the bell peppers and celery are as done as you like, add them to the container with the tempeh.

Add your sliced cabbage to the skillet, and stir fry until as done as you like. Sprinkle with salt. Sauté more cabbage than you think you need because it cooks down. You may need to do several batches as it cooks down, and then combine the batches to rewarm before serving . The sautéed cabbage will be your “noodle bed” for the cacciatore.

When the onions and carrots are cooked add the cooked tempeh, peppers, and celery. Then add the diced tomatoes, red wine, vegetable stock, garlic powder, oregano, basil, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and nutmeg. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes or so, letting the liquid reduce and the flavors blend. Just before it is done, put the cabbage in a serving dish and cover. Add the sliced mushrooms to the hot skillet, with olive oil as needed and sauté until as done as you like. Add the sliced mushrooms to the cacciatore, along with the drained capers. Stir in gently and remove from heat.

Serve the cacciatore on top of the sautéed cabbage with your favorite varieties of olives and the rest of the bottle of wine!

Variation: For a feasting recipe, replace the tempeh with bone-in chicken thighs and serve with grated Parmesan cheese

I got the idea from Tempeh Cacciatore
    Last edited by Antiochia; 04-07-2013 at 06:08 PM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

While I'm at it, here is another Tempeh recipe that I like:

TEMPEH "CHICKEN-STYLE" SALAD

1 8 oz. package tempeh, cubed
    1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
    1 stalk celery, finely chopped
    1 dill pickle, finely chopped (optional)
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
    1 tsp prepared Dijon mustard
    2 tsp Braggs Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
    Dash of Garlic Powder
    Romaine Lettuce
    Sliced Tomato

Directions:
    Steam the cubed tempeh for 15 minutes on medium-high heat. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.

In a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise, celery, pickle, onion, parsley, mustard, Braggs/soy sauce, and garlic powder. Gently mix in the steamed tempeh. Let chill in the fridge for a while to let the tempeh absorb the flavors from the rest of the salad. Serve over romaine lettuce with sliced tomato.

Makes 4 servings.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 07-12-2013 at 12:13 PM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

TanyaV is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiochia View Post
    Thank you for the link love! I'm so glad that you started this thread. I'll be referring back to it next year for more recipe ideas.
    www.feedtheclan.com

Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

Quote Originally Posted by TanyaV View Post
    Thank you for the link love! I'm so glad that you started this thread. I'll be referring back to it next year for more recipe ideas.
    Thanks for checking out my thread! I will continue to add recipes throughout the year, because we also eat Lenten food the first two weeks of August before celebrating the Dormition & Assumption of the Virgin Mary, and at Advent. Also, when we aren't in a feasting time, we fast on most Wednesdays and Fridays, which is great practice for Lent, Dormition, and Advent!
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast