Supper tonight was:

California Roll Salad
    (a take-off on California Roll Sushi)
    Makes two or three servings

For the dressing:
    1/3 cup rice vinegar
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
    Wasabi powder to taste (start with 1/2 teaspoon)

For the salad:
    Romaine Lettuce (torn into bite size pieces)
    1 cup of cooked cauliflower rice (post #13) OR 1 cup cooked rice (cooled)
    1 6-oz. can lump crab, drained ( about 4 oz. of crab)
    1 6-oz. can tiny shrimp, drained (about 4 oz. of shrimp)
    Most of 1 cucumber, sliced
    1 ripe avocado, diced
    1 carrot, grated
    3 tablespoons pickled ginger, chopped
    1 tablespoon sesame seeds

In a jar with a screw top lid, mix together the rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and Wasabi powder. Shake well. Pour a small amount over the cauliflower rice in a small bowl and mix well. Set the bowl of cauliflower rice aside, as well as the remainder of the jar of dressing.

On a serving platter place as much torn romaine lettuce as you wish -- at least enough to cover the surface of the platter. Layer the prepared cauliflower rice over the lettuce. Layer the crab and the shrimp over the rice. Then add a layer of cucumber, and a layer of avocado. Sprinkle grated carrot over everything, then the pickled ginger. Pour the rest of the dressing evenly over the salad. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds.

This can also be layered onto individual plates, rather than onto one large platter.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    Lunch today was Shrimp - Apple Coleslaw dressed with Flaxseed Mayonnaise in a Jar

For the coleslaw, I drained a can of tiny shrimp and added them to some sliced cabbage, sliced onion, and diced apple (I didn't measure). Then I mixed in some homemade Flaxseed Mayonnaise:

FLAXSEED MAYONNAISE IN A JAR

In a wide mouth pint size jar mix together:

4 teaspoons ground flax seed
    3 tablespoons water

Let sit for at least 10 minutes to get "eggy"

Then add:

1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
    1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/4 teaspoon sea salt

Now take your immersion blender and insert it all the way in, down to the bottom of the jar. Turn it on, and give it a few seconds to blend the flax seed mixture, and seasonings.

Now, keep the blender running with one hand. Keep the jar on the table or counter, and with your other hand slowly pour in:

1 cup mild flavored cold pressed oil (including a tablespoon or two of flaxseed oil helps to improve the omega 6/3 balance)

You want a stream of oil about the diameter of a pencil lead. Work the blender up and down in the jar as you go.

When you can't get any more oil to incorporate, and it is puddling on the surface, stop! You're done. Any leftover oil can go back in the bottle. Cap your jar of flaxseed mayo and store it in the fridge. Now, since you aren't using eggs, I think this will keep longer than regular homemade mayo, but I'm not sure how long. This will make about 1 cup.

Variation: Later during a Feasting period if you want to use this recipe with eggs, substitute 2 egg yolks for the flax seed and water.

This recipe is adapted from "Mayonnaise in the Jar" page 278 of Dana Carpenter's book 500 Paleo Recipes
    Last edited by Antiochia; 07-19-2013 at 08:48 AM.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

This recipe looks great to prepare for a crowd during Lent:
    Healthy Slow-Cooked Manhattan Clam Chowder Recipe (Paleo/Primal) - Nutrition - Obesity
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Today lunch will be another Lenten B.A.S. (post #5) at the preschool, and this evening we will go out for supper. My brother and sister-in-law are arriving; they are Protestant and have already celebrated Easter, so if we go to a restaurant, we can get shrimp or scallops and they can get whatever they want. I'll be too busy to post for the rest of the day -- maybe I can post tomorrow. We'll see.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

I'm making almond butter as I type this post! It is really easy.

See: Creative Nut Recipes | Mark's Daily Apple

I'm using roasted, salted almonds. I just took a taste. It is salted just right for me. I'm planning on using this almond butter in my next recipe.

Almond butter has gotten so expensive! I used 2 cups of roasted salted almonds, which cost me about $5.00. I used 8 teaspoons (2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons) coconut oil in my food processor. It has just finished processing and it is very warm and quite liquid. I just put it in the fridge, hoping it will harden up.

I think it made about a cup and a half, or a little more. I put it in a wide-mouth pint size jar.

NEXT DAY EDIT: Yes, it did harden to spreading consistency. I'm impressed. I think I'll be making my almond butter from now on. Next time I'll try it with just almonds, leaving out the coconut oil, and see what the consistency is like.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 04-06-2013 at 05:59 AM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Supper tonight was

Curried Sweet Potato Soup
    (with almond butter)

(This is a rather mild curry -- adjust spices if you like it hotter)

2 cups chopped onion
    2 tablespoons coconut oil
    2 tablespoons curry powder
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    4 cups vegetable stock -- or 4 cups water + 4 teaspoons vegetable broth flavoring
    1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
    4 cups diced sweet potatoes
    2/3 cup almond butter
    1 14-oz. can coconut milk (not 'lite')
    1 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
    1/2 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
    2 limes, quartered (optional)

In a large pot, saute the onion in the coconut oil until tender. Add the curry powder, cayenne, and garlic powder and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the stock and tomatoes; bring to a boil and add the diced sweet potatoes. Cover and simmer until sweet potatoes are tender, about 20 to 30 minutes. In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond butter and coconut milk. Pour the mixture into the pot and heat. Puree with an immersion blender (or in a regular blender) until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning -- I needed to add a teaspoon of sea salt.

If desired, garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges. Makes at least 4 servings or more.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 04-05-2013 at 04:03 PM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

I served the Curried Sweet Potato Soup with

Honey Mustard Waldorf Salad

This is one of those no measurements 'recipes:'

For dressing mix together Flaxseed Mayonnaise (post #52) with prepared mustard and honey to taste. Use it to dress a salad made of sliced celery, diced apple, raisins, and chopped walnuts in whatever proportions you wish.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

If you want to make your own vegetable broth and not use water and vegetable broth flavoring, here is a recipe that looks interesting (I haven't gotten around to trying it yet):

Homemade Vegetable Broth | Hillbilly Housewife
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Here's another interesting recipe -- to make it Lenten, substitute coconut oil for the ghee and vegetable stock for the broth:
    Comforting Paleo “Lentil” Soup | Grass Fed Girl
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

PrimalCon New York
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast