Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Almost-Primal Orthodox Christian Lenten Eating and Cooking page 4

Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    WARM LEMON WATER
    On mornings when I'm not fasting for Eucharist, I usually start my day with a cup of warm (not hot) water with the juice of half a lemon. It is supposed to help prepare your digestive system for the day, cleanse your liver, and give you a healthy dose of vitamin C. If the water is too hot or it will kill the vitamin C.

STORING COCONUT MILK

Then after about 15 - 30 minutes I usually have a cup of coffee with coconut milk (full-fat - not "lite"). When I open a can of coconut milk I empty it into a bowl and stir it with a whisk. When it is thoroughly combined I put it into a wide mouth pint size jar and keep it in the fridge. It will stay mixed, and I spoon it out as needed. It keeps at least a week or more in the fridge, despite the fact that the can says it will only keep for 2 days.

After that I take my supplements. I may or may not eat breakfast.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 07-12-2013 at 08:49 AM.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Today for lunch I had a Green Smoothie (See Post #2) while I worked on our Income Tax information for the accountant.

For supper we each had a grapefruit half to start, then we had Almond Green Curry Soup (recipe follows), and a tossed salad with marinated garbanzos, green olives, red onion, green pepper, grape tomatoes, cucumber, and romaine lettuce & Dijon vinaigrette (Post #6). For dessert we each had half of a Cereal Bowl Coffee Cake (post #4) with coffee & tea (DH wanted Cool Whip, but we don't have any. He's not too excited about all this natural stuff -- but I'M the cook!)

Here's the soup recipe:

ALMOND GREEN CURRY SOUP

Soak 1-1/2 cups raw almonds 8 hours in water to cover, with 1/2 teaspoon salt. When almonds have finished soaking take off skins (they slip off easily). Rinse the almonds under running water. Set aside.

Then chop 1 large celery stick including leaves and 1/2 medium onion. Saute until soft in 1 tablespoon coconut oil

Add 3 cups water, the skinned soaked almonds, and 1 tablespoon Vegetable broth flavoring

Simmer for a half hour.

Put in blender with 1/2 cup coconut milk (not “lite”) and 1 tablespoon Thai green curry paste. Blend very well – for several minutes. (It will have the consistency of Pea Soup). Taste and adjust seasoning.

Pour back in soup pot and keep warm over very low heat.

Makes enough for 2 or 3 servings.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 07-12-2013 at 09:08 AM.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

DH was hungry this morning -- so for breakfast, I made Buckwheat pancakes (see post #3) & maple syrup which we had with coffee and grapefruit. Lunch is Oyster Stew (recipe follows), and we will have a Lenten Potluck supper tonight after the Pre-sanctified Liturgy (I will bring a salad with dressings on the side).

OYSTER STEW (for 1 or 2 people)

1 8-oz. can of oysters
    1 small red potato, unpeeled, diced
    1 stalk celery, diced
    2 slices onion, diced
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 cup of coconut milk OR unsweetened almond milk OR mixture of both
    small amount of minced fresh parsley (optional)
    1 teaspoon vegetable broth flavoring
    freshly ground pepper

Drain the oyster can into a saucepan (keep oysters in the can for now) and add the diced veggies and minced garlic to the oyster broth. Let simmer until veggies are done to your liking. Then dump in the oysters. Fill the oyster can with either almond milk, coconut milk, or a mixture, and add to the saucepan. Also add the parsley (if using), vegetable broth flavoring and a good grinding of pepper. Heat to simmering and serve.

Edit 11/14/13 - I just tried using cauliflower pieces instead of the potato. It turned out quite good!
    Last edited by Antiochia; 11-14-2013 at 07:42 PM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Well, as it turned out I changed my mind on the salad I made for the potluck last night, so here is the one I actually made:

SPINACH STRAWBERRY POTLUCK SALAD

Enough spinach to fill your punch bowl (remove stems, tear into bite-size pieces)
    1 yellow bell pepper. cut into small strips
    About a quarter of a large red onion, thinly sliced and cut into small strips
    About a half cucumber, sliced, and the slices cut in half
    1 pound strawberries, sliced
    Roasted, salted sunflower seeds (maybe a half cup - however many you want)

For dressing make:

HONEY VINAIGRETTE

In a jar with a screw top lid mix together the following ingredients:
    2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar (Bragg)
    1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime or lemon juice
    1 tablespoon honey (dip tablespoon in oil first and then measure the honey - the honey will slip right out)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/3 cup cold pressed sunflower oil

Put cap on the jar and shake well!

Now, layer in the punch bowl: some spinach, some yellow pepper strips, some red onion, and some cucumber. Continue layering until the bowl is full. Slice your strawberries and put in a plastic container. Make your dressing. Bring the sunflower seeds. At the potluck, toss your salad with some of the dressing (you may not need all of it), then mix in the strawberries and sunflower seeds. If you have the presence of mind to do so, save some strawberries and sunflower seeds to sprinkle on top. (I forgot!)
    Last edited by Antiochia; 07-12-2013 at 12:08 PM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Okay -- this post is a confession. I cook legumes during Lent. I know, I know -- not primal. Sigh! But I prepare them to eliminate anti-nutrients as much as possible. And I don't eat them every day -- maybe 2 or 3 times a week -- maybe not even that often. I buy dried beans, not canned.

TO PREPARE DRIED LEGUMES
    For all dried beans EXCEPT black beans and garbanzos (chick peas), cover with warm filtered water and let soak at room temperature for at least 12 hours - anywhere from 12 to 18 hours or so. Then drain and rinse. Put them in a slow cooker (I do 2 lbs of dried beans at a time). Then I cook on low for 12 hours -- So you can start soaking in the afternoon or evening, the next morning you can drain, rinse, and start cooking in the slow cooker. By evening they will be done. Then, drain and rinse in cool water, and package them in plastic freezer bags in 1-1/2 cup portions (1-1/2 cups is how many drained beans you get from a standard can of beans). Freeze. From 2 lbs of dried beans you get from 7 to 8 bags of beans -- which is like having 7 to 8 cans of beans in your pantry.

To use, just add frozen to your soup recipe, or thaw under running water in a strainer.

For black beans, soak in warm filtered water, and add 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice per cup of dried beans. Soak at room temperature for 24 hours. And for garbanzos (chick peas) add 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice per cup of dried beans and soak 24 hours. (I think you could also use raw vinegar instead of lemon juice.) Slow cook for 12 to 24 hours. Package and freeze as for the other beans. When you thaw out black beans and garbanzos, you may need to boil them on the stove for a little bit to fully soften them.

When using lentils or split peas, just try to soak them for 8 hours or so before cooking. Drain and rinse. You may need less liquid in the soup because the lentils and/or split peas have already absorbed liquid.

I consider legumes a necessary "evil" during lent, and try to prepare them to render them as harmless as possible. I don't eat them during non-Lenten days -- well, maybe once in a while in chili, but that is a rare exception.

These soaking suggestions are based on Sally Fallon's advice in her book Nourishing Traditions.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 03-28-2013 at 10:13 AM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

This looks like a good Lenten soup recipe -- just substitute coconut oil or other allowed fat for the butter, and use coconut milk, not cream:

Silky Celery Root Soup | Mark's Daily Apple
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Here's what we are having for lunch today:

COCONUT CRAB BISQUE

1 tablespoon coconut oil
    1/2 cup diced celery
    1/4 cup diced onion
    1/4 cup diced bell pepper (red or green)
    1 14-oz. can tomatoes
    2 cups water
    2 teaspoons vegetable broth seasoning
    1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
    2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
    2 bay leaves
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1 8-oz. container of crab
    1 cup coconut milk
    1 teaspoon or more Worcestershire Sauce (optional)
    Freshly ground pepper (optional)

In a soup pot, sauté the celery, onion, and bell pepper in the coconut oil until soft. Meanwhile blend the can of tomatoes (or use 1-3/4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes, and liquefy in blender). Add to the sauted veggies. Then add the water, vegetable broth seasoning, Old Bay seasoning, apple cider vinegar, bay leaves, and basil. Simmer for 10 to 20 minutes to blend flavors. Remove the bay leaves and add the crab and coconut milk. Heat just to a simmer or not quite. Stir in some Worcestershire sauce and freshly ground pepper if desired. Serve hot. Makes about 6 cups or 3 to 4 servings.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 07-12-2013 at 12:12 PM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

For supper tonight I started roasting parsnips. Roasted Parsnips - Recipe for Roasted Parsnips

Then I sauteed cabbage strips, red and green bell pepper strips in sesame oil. In another pan I sauteed shrimp in sesame oil and when they were cooked I added left-over Pineapple Teriyaki Sauce (See post #29), stirred it until it was warmed up and then turned off the heat -- since the sauce is made with arrowroot, I didn't want to cook it too long.

Then I divided up my sauteed cabbage and bell pepper onto our plates and topped it with the Teriyaki Shrimp. I served it with the roasted parsnips.

Dessert was sliced strawberries with cashew cream (see post #28)
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Here's our meals for today. This morning after my cup of warm water & lemon (see post #31) and my coffee with coconut milk, I only had time to grab an apple and a handful of nuts for breakfast before heading off to our appointment with the accountant who is doing our income taxes. Then it was off on more errands and home for lunch, which was leftover Coconut Crab Bisque (see post #37) and pieces of green pepper and nut butter. I also had an orange. When I am really feeling empty, an orange fills me up and makes me feel better, even if I don't think I want to eat an orange. I'm always glad when I do, though. Then for supper before going to tonight's Akathist at church I made DH and me a Double Mango Shrimp Salad (see post #7).

Blessed Lent! And a blessed Good Friday to all of you celebrating Western Holy Week and Easter. We Eastern Orthodox are only in our second week of Lent -- this year our Easter is really late. We will celebrate Pascha (Easter) on May 5.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Khainag is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    very interesting thread! (didn't realize there was a "fish without backbones" rule... fascinating!)

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast