Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Almost-Primal Orthodox Christian Lenten Eating and Cooking page 3

Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    This recipe looks wonderful! Too bad DH doesn't like mussels

Coconut Lime Mussels | Mark's Daily Apple
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I have read that some folks use quinoa as a substitute for oatmeal. The texture is not the same, but it can be cooked in much the same way (or kind of like rice). It makes a reasonable oatmeal substitute when sweetened for breakfast, and some use it in meatballs (or as a meat substitute). It's technically a seed, kind of iffy on the primal spectrum. I've never tried soaking oatmeal, but it gives me heartburn in its normal form. The only time I tried quinoa was in a pre-mixed package of a kind of porridge with maple syrup and cinnamon. The texture was weird to me, but it tasted pretty good.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

I know a lot of people eat quinoa -- I tried it once but it was kind of bitter. Maybe I didn't prepare it right. DH thought it looked too much like couscous, and he had a bad experience with couscous once and never wants to eat anything that even looks like it!

I hear, though, that quinoa is an excellent source of protein. I would welcome any quinoa recipes on this thread that anyone would be willing to share -- providing they don't include meat, eggs, or dairy (fish and seafood would be okay) since I'm trying to find information for Lenten meals and encouragement for those of us dealing with Lenten food restrictions at this time.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

We've still got snow here in Wisconsin! Here's a good drink for after a walk with the dog on a cold morning or afternoon:
    Creamy Turmeric Tea | Mark's Daily Apple
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Good Morning! We're finishing up the first week of Orthodox Great Lent. Five more weeks to go, plus Holy Week. Then we'll celebrate Pascha (Easter) with a great feast -we'll grill lamb on a spit over an open fire in back of the church to have at our Pascha celebration after Agape Vespers.

Well, yesterday my lunch salad consisted of:
    Cooked shrimp, avocado, strawberries, a dash of lemon juice, sliced red onion, sliced carrots, some sliced red bell pepper, fresh spinach, and pecans. I dressed it with Honey Vinaigrette (Post #6) It was quite good!

For supper before going to the Akathist for the Theotokos (church service) we had:
    "Cream" of Mushroom soup -- I'm still working on the recipe, so I won't share the amounts yet -- but if anyone wants to experiment I sauteed some onion, celery, and garlic in coconut oil and put it all in my blender container. Then I sauteed some mushrooms and put them in the blender container too. (DH can't digest mushroom pieces so I have to blend them - otherwise I would have saved out a few to garnish the soup.) I added some raw cashews (for creaminess), water, veggie broth flavoring powder, arrowroot flour, salt & pepper and blended it all up until it was nice and smooth. Then I poured it into a soup pan, added a pinch of dried thyme and heated it just to boiling and let the arrowroot thicken the soup, but I think I put in too much arrowroot. It tasted good though.

We had this with a green salad (with a few chickpeas marinated in Italian dressing), and pieces of green pepper and nut butter (I had almond butter -- DH likes his with peanut butter). I find that pieces of green pepper make a great cracker substitute when you are looking for something to spread something on -- like nut butter or hummus. During feasting times green pepper is good spread with cream cheese, but that will have to wait until after Pascha.

Well, I gotta go -- I have a church school lesson to prepare. I teach the preschoolers and at our parish we have our "Sunday School" on Saturdays before our Saturday evening Vespers.

Tonight after Vespers I think we'll go out for Fried Scallops. There is a restaurant down the block from where we live that makes the best fried scallops ever!

I'm looking forward to Monday - March 25th - which is 9 months before Christmas so it is Annunciation. The day the angel Gabriel came to the Virgin Mary to ask her permission for her to give birth to Jesus, the Son of God. It is a very celebratory day! We'll have a special church service in the morning and then we can celebrate, and our meals may include fish, wine, and olive oil.

I don't know when I'll get to post next -- I'll be pretty busy today and tomorrow for sure.

Blessed Lent!
    Last edited by Antiochia; 03-25-2013 at 06:29 PM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Blessed Feast of Annunciation! March 25

Well, to continue my report on my Lenten Journey, Saturday morning we had Oat-Nut waffles. This is one of my "almost-Primal" recipes:

LENTEN OAT-NUT WAFFLES

2-2/3 cup oatmeal (may use 3 tablespoons of rolled rye flakes as part of the 2-2/3 cup oatmeal)*
    2/3 cup nuts (pecans, walnuts, almonds, cashews, or combination)
    3 cups water
    1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
    3 tablespoons coconut sugar, palm sugar or brown sugar
    1 teaspoon salt

Directions:
    Start the night before. Put all ingredients into blender and blend well. Pour into a bowl, cover and let the batter stand overnight at room temperature so the oats and nuts can soak (this helps get rid of anti-nutrients). In the morning, turn on the waffle iron and let heat. If necessary grease waffle iron. Bake the batter on the iron until the light turns off, at least 5 minutes, or until done.

Makes about 4 or 5 waffles depending on the size of your waffle iron (mine is 7" X 7") and serves 4 people. This recipe is easily cut in half to serve 2.

*Note: I just read that including rolled rye flakes with the oats helps to decrease the phytic acid in the oats during the overnight soaking.

I serve these with fruit and/or coconut oil (instead of butter) and maple syrup.

Then for lunch I drained canned shrimp, mashed them with a fork and added vegan mayonnaise, dijon mustard, and pickle relish and mixed it all up. I need to find a good homemade recipe for vegan mayo. Here is an idea for one but it uses Macadamia nuts. I know how healthy Macadamia nuts are for humans, but I don't keep them in my house -- they are very toxic for dogs, and I don't want to take a chance with our Black Lab. But if anyone else wants to try it, here is the recipe:

MACADAMIA NUT MAYONNAISE
    3/4 cups water (or less)
    1 1/2 cups of macadamia nuts
    3 tablespoons olive oil (or other oil)
    2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon Italian spices
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt
    dash of cayenne
    (Recipe inspired from "Uncooking with Raw Rose")

Directions;
    1. Throw everything in the blender and just BLEND until smooth!

Anyway, I served the shrimp/mayo salad on top of a green salad & tomatoes with lemon wedges on the side.

For Dinner after Vespers we went to the restaurant down the street and had their fried scallops. They have a nice salad bar that's included and we had vegetables instead of potatoes (DH had broccoli, I had their fresh steamed green beans).

Then we came home and had a piece of very dark vegan chocolate for dessert.

And that brings you up to Sunday.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 04-05-2014 at 09:36 AM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Yesterday, Sunday, we fasted before the morning service, since we always fast for about 6 hours or so before Eucharist. Then on Sundays after the service we have "Coffee Hour" which is really a potluck lunch. I always bring salads to our potlucks. Most people bring either main dishes or desserts -- there are never enough salads. Here is my standard potluck salad:

HOW TO MAKE AN EASY POTLUCK SALAD IN A PUNCH BOWL

First I slice red onion thinly with a mandoline (if you peel the onion and cut off the ends and put it in the fridge overnight, it gets rid of the onion "bite" and seems to get sweeter). Then I slice some cucumbers. I have some grape tomatoes rinsed and ready. And I usually chop up some celery leaves. These along with the greens make up my basic salad. I may add other veggies that I happen to have on hand such as sliced carrots, radishes, green pepper...

Then I get out my punch bowl. I put greens (either mixed packaged salad greens; or romaine or spinach torn in pieces, washed and dried in my salad spinner) in the bottom of the bowl. Then I add a layer of sliced veggies, grape tomatoes, and chopped celery leaves, then another layer of greens, then another layer of sliced veggies, grape tomatoes, and chopped celery leaves, and so on, layering until the bowl is full, ending with a layer of sliced veggies, grape tomatoes, and chopped celery leaves. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TOSS THIS SALAD! All the good stuff is distributed evenly throughout the greens. Just put some salad tongs in it and serve dressing on the side. I bring a couple bottles of store bought dressing and a bottle of my homemade Dijon Vinaigrette - see post #6. (I put it in a bottle with a shaker cap that people can close up the bottle and shake it easily when the dressing separates, and then open the flip top and put some dressing on their salad.)

So at coffee hour I had coffee of course, and some vegetable soup someone brought, and my salad, (and I cheated on Primal with some taco chips and spelt bread) and some fruit off the dessert table. I was able to avoid the rest of the desserts!
    Last edited by Antiochia; 07-12-2013 at 08:37 AM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Then yesterday, after Coffee Hour, around 1:30 pm we had a Vespers Service for Annunciation, which is today's feast. Liturgical time runs differently than regular time -- Vespers is the beginning of the next day since the day begins at evening (the same as in Jewish tradition), so at the beginning of Vespers, liturgically it was March 25 which meant we could celebrate the feast last night with fish!

I made broiled salmon for dinner:

BROILED SALMON
    Grease your broiling pan (or use a sheet of aluminum foil) and place the salmon fillet on it skin side down. Then pour Dijon Vinaigrette (see post #6) all over the fillet. Then sprinkle the fillet with Old Bay Seasoning, Dill, and freshly ground pepper. Broil for 10 - 20 minutes until done to your liking. The thicker the fillet, the longer it will take to cook.

I served this with sliced carrots and sliced onions that I simmered in a couple tablespoons of coconut oil until tender. Then I added a handful of frozen peas (I know -- not primal -- but they are pretty with the carrots!), let cook until the peas thawed, and then added a drizzle of honey and some salt & pepper.

Also I made "Rice a Phony" (See post #14)

We had half avocados and lime wedges on the side.

Dessert was sliced banana and strawberries with "Cashew Cream:"

CASHEW CREAM
    1/2 cup raw cashews
    1/3 cup water
    1/2 cup mild flavored oil (like cold pressed grapeseed oil)
    1 tablespoon maple syrup
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla
    1 teaspoon lemon juice or rice vinegar

In a blender, blend the cashews and water until thick and creamy. Slowly add oil while blending. Then blend in syrup, vanilla, salt, and lemon juice or vinegar. Chill before serving.

It was a nice feast day meal!
    Last edited by Antiochia; 07-31-2013 at 09:50 AM. Reason: changed proportions on the Cashew Cream
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Okay -- I'm finally up to today! We didn't have breakfast because we were fasting for the Annunciation Feast Day Liturgy (church service) with Eucharist. After the service this morning a bunch of us went to Perkins (a restaurant) for lunch. We wanted fish, but they didn't have many fish choices, so I ended up with a shrimp and veggie stir-fry. It was served on a bed of rice, but I didn't eat the rice -- only what happened to cling to the shrimp and veggies. I also didn't eat the roll that came with the meal.

Then for supper DH and I split a baked potato (he had his with margarine, salt & pepper, I put olive oil, salt and pepper on mine) and the leftover salmon from last night. I made a Pineapple Teriyaki sauce and stir-fried onions, peppers, and cabbage to go with it:

PINEAPPLE TERIYAKI SAUCE
    adapted from Paleo Teriyaki Sauce, For Teppanyaki or Hibachi Meats & Vegetables
    1 cup pineapple tidbits (canned in pineapple juice, drained - save the juice)
    1 tablespoon toasted Sesame oil
    cup Coconut Aminos (or wheat free Tamari, if you do soy)
    tsp Ground Ginger
    tsp Garlic Powder
    2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
    1 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder
    cup pineapple juice from the canned pineapple
    cup Water

Saute the pineapple in the sesame oil until browned, pour into a bowl off the heat and set aside. Also remove pan from heat.

In a glass measuring cup or a bowl, combine the coconut aminos, ginger, garlic, maple syrup, pineapple juice, water, arrowroot powder, and mix well (I use a fork to mix). Set aside.

Prepare the rest of your meal. (I baked a sweet potato, and about 20 minutes before the sweet potato was done, I wrapped the leftover salmon in foil and warmed it up in the oven while the sweet potato was baking. I also stir fried strips of onion, cabbage, red pepper, and green pepper in toasted sesame oil and sprinkled it with salt and pepper. When it was done, I removed it from heat and covered it up.)

To finish the sauce, I stirred up the sauce ingredients in the measuring cup, then poured it into the pan I had browned the pineapple in. I stirred until the sauce was bubbly and thick. I removed it from the heat and added the browned pineapple.

Then, to serve I cut the sweet potato in half and put half on each plate. I put half of the veggie mixture on each plate and then I put half of the salmon on top of the stir-fried veggies. I spooned some of the pineapple Terriyaki sauce over the salmon and veggies.

I have some Pineapple Terriyaki Sauce left over -- I think I may use it over shrimp in the next day or two.

Blessed Feast!
    Last edited by Antiochia; 07-12-2013 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Lessened the amount of Maple Syrup
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you eat Macadamia nuts, here's a recipe that looks good -- to be Fast-appropriate, a person would need to substitute coconut oil or other allowed fat for the butter, but I think it still would be good:
    Creamy Macadamia Shrimp | Mark's Daily Apple
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast