Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Almost-Primal Orthodox Christian Lenten Eating and Cooking page 2

Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelli View Post
    Thanks for posting all these recipes and ideas!
    I've really become intrigued with Primal eating and living -- although in my own frame of reference Primal is more about eating the way God created us to eat, the meat that we eat should come from animals that are eating what God created them to eat, and Primal activity for me is about moving in the way God created us to move. That's the way I think about it -- I am not insisting others think about it in the same way. All that being said, I find it very challenging to stay as Primal as possible during the Orthodox Christian Lenten Fast. I wanted to share some of the solutions I have found with anyone facing the same challenges. I am not advocating a vegan + seafood diet as a year round new way of being Primal. This is only for those of us who are obligated to do so during Orthodox Lent -- or those who are cooking for friends who have these restrictions on their diet.

Thank you for reading and commenting!
    Last edited by Antiochia; 03-20-2013 at 07:01 AM.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    My wife is abstaining from Facebook for Lent.
    Facebook would be a good choice of something to give up during Lent -- it can take up LOTS of time -- time that is better spent on Lenten disciplines: prayer, meditation, etc... I am limiting Facebook, but I have young adult aged kids, and they use Facebook for communication. My son doesn't even look at his email unless he is expecting something. So blessings on your wife for being able to abstain from Facebook! Unfortunately, in our family it has become a necessary communication tool.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

My husband and I never cook rice any more. This is the recipe I ALWAYS use now instead of rice or potatoes to accompany any food that has a sauce or gravy:

CAULIFLOWER RICE

To make this dish the most easily and to have it come out the best, a food processor is recommended.

1) Process fresh cauliflower until it is the size of rice, either using the plain steel blade or the shredder blade of the food processor. Alternatively, you can shred it with a hand-held grater, or even use a knife, if you have the dexterity to chop it up VERY finely.

Note: After processing the cauliflower, put the cauliflower into a microwave safe dish and immediately rinse the pieces of the food processor and put them in your dish drainer. If you don't immediately rinse the bits of cauliflower off, they will stick to your processor parts and be very hard to clean off. I don't bother to actually wash the processor parts -- I figure if I just rinse the raw cauliflower off it is clean enough.

2) Microwave it in a tightly covered dish for 4 to 5 minutes. DO NOT ADD WATER. Cauliflower absorbs water like crazy, and the "granules" will become gummy. To keep it fluffy, just let the moisture in the cauliflower do its work.

Note: 4 cups of shredded cauliflower reduces to 3 cups when cooked.

You can also stir-fry raw shredded cauliflower with a little oil (I use coconut, or sunflower, or sesame) in a pan on the stove until it is cooked just the way you like it (keep tasting!) It won't take long.

Here is where I found the recipe:Cauliflower "Rice" Recipe - How to Make Cauliflower Similar to Rice

And here is a video illustrating how to do it:
    Low Carb Cauliflower Rice Recipe - Low Carb Rice Video

Edit 4/2/2013: Here's a link for a way to make cauliflower-rice without a food processor or a microwave:http://livingintheiceage.pjgh.co.uk/...ower-rice.html

Edit 9/12/2013: And another link about making cauliflower-rice:http://eatfatlosefatblog.com/low-car...r-rice-recipe/
    Last edited by Antiochia; 09-12-2013 at 07:25 AM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Here is a favorite recipe using the Cauliflower Rice in the previous post:

RICE-A-PHONY*

(All quantities are approximate -- use as much as you want)

Cauliflower Rice made from 1/2 head of cauliflower (see recipe in previous post) - about 2 cups
    1/4 cup slivered almonds
    2 teaspoons coconut oil (or some butter)
    about 1/4 cup or so of chopped onion (I don't really measure)
    about 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    Some vegetable broth flavoring powder to taste (I like Seitenbacher Vegetarian Vegetable Broth and Seasoning, 5-Ounce Cans (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food. It is gluten free)
    Salt and pepper to taste

Chop the onion and set it aside. Chop the parsley, and set that aside too. Then saute the almonds in the coconut oil (or butter) until light golden brown. When the almonds are golden, place them on a paper towel to drain. You may need to add more oil to the pan. Add the chopped onions, and saute about a minute or so, until done to your liking. Then add the cooked cauliflower rice and parsley, and sauteed almonds. Cook and stir until everything is good and hot. Stir in enough of the broth seasoning, salt, and pepper so it tastes good to you.

I made this recipe for some friends, and although they knew there was cauliflower in it, they didn't realize there was no rice in it at all!

Asian Variation: Saute the almonds in sesame oil. Drain and stir in some canned sliced water chestnuts along with the onions and parsley. Use Soy Sauce instead of broth flavoring, and/or salt.

Main Dish Variation: Add cooked or canned seafood - shrimp, crab, tuna, salmon, etc...

This recipe makes 2-3 servings.

This recipe is adapted from "Paleo Chicken-Almond Rice-a-Phony" page 88 of 500 Paleo Recipes by Dana Carpender

*For those of you not in the United States, the title of this recipe is a word play on Rice-a-Roni--a rice and pasta processed food sold here that a lot of us ate while growing up.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 05-01-2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: I cook it differently now.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Lenten Potlucks are a big part of our life as an Orthodox Christian community. Here's the salad recipe I made last night for our potluck after Pre-sanctified Liturgy:

GREENS, FRUIT, NUTS, AND SEEDS POTLUCK SALAD

Dressing:
    2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar (or plain ACV if you can't get raw)
    1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime or lemon juice
    1 tablespoon honey (dip tablespoon in oil first before measuring the honey, and the honey will slip right out)
    1/3 cup cold-pressed sunflower oil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper

Salad:
    1 head Romaine lettuce, torn
    1/2 head Red Leaf lettuce, torn
    at least 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
    1 carrot, grated
    2 granny smith apples, diced
    1 bunch (about a pound to a pound and a half) seedless red grapes, halved
    3/4 cup (3.5 oz. package) roasted, salted sunflower seeds
    3/4 cup broken walnuts
    1/2 cup dried cranberries.

Combine all the dressing ingredients in a bottle or jar with a screw top lid and shake well. Set aside.

Wash and tear lettuce into bite size pieces. Spin dry in a salad spinner. Add in layers to a large salad bowl (I use a punch bowl) alternating with a sprinkling of sliced onion and shredded carrot. Cover the salad bowl with plastic wrap.

Cut up the apples and place in a plastic container. Then slice all the grapes in half and place on top of the apples and close up the container.

Combine the walnuts, sunflower seeds, and dried cranberries in a plastic bag.

Take the bottle of dressing, the salad bowl with the greens, the container of apples and grapes, and the plastic bag of nuts, seeds and dried cranberries to the potluck. When it is about time to eat, sprinkle half the nut/seed/cranberry mixture on the salad greens in the bowl. Pour in all the salad dressing and toss well. Then mix in most of the fruit (save out a little to put on top of the salad). When all is well mixed, top with the reserved fruit and the remaining half of the nut/seed/cranberry mix.

This turned out wonderful last night, and it was all eaten -- I didn't have any left to take home.

Variation: If you make this salad during a non-Lenten time, replace the carrot with about 3/4 cup or more of grated or cubed cheddar cheese -- add the cheese when you add the apples and grapes.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 07-11-2013 at 09:06 AM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Mark has a lot of great recipes on the website that happen to be Fast-Appropriate. I will be linking to them from time to time. How about making your own nut butter (I gotta try this with almonds -- almond butter is so expensive around here!), or spicy nut mix, or almond pie crust, or Pesto (Substitute cold-pressed sunflower oil for the olive oil), or milk substitute: Creative Nut Recipes | Mark's Daily Apple

Or make your own protein bars for a quick breakfast:Make Energy Bars - Low-Carb DIY Recipes | Mark's Daily Apple
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Here's an easy side dish suggestion that we like -- how about SAUTEED APPLES instead of potatoes or hash browns. Pomme instead of pomme de terre!

All you do is saute apple slices in coconut oil until they are soft and browned (or caramelized). You can sprinkle with cinnamon as you saute, if the cinnamon flavor goes with the rest of your meal. My son likes to caramelize sliced apples and onions together for a side dish. I generally peel the apples first, but you wouldn't have to.

Sauteed apples are also good as a dessert, or a breakfast food, or on top of Lenten pancakes or waffles.

(Note: See post #3 in this thread for my buckwheat pancake recipe.)
    Last edited by Antiochia; 07-11-2013 at 09:05 AM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Hey there, I think it's very cool how you are adapting a Primal diet to suit your Lenten restrictions. I grew up in an Orthodox Christian family (parish was Antiochian, I think), and though I no longer follow the faith myself, Pascha is still a very important holiday to me . My parents have been following the Lenten diet pretty strictly for the past few years, but are not gluten/grain-free (and fear saturated fats). My dad had a heart attack on Thanksgiving of 2011 and has been following a vegetarian diet since then, at the recommendation of his doctors. I will be sure to keep your suggestions in mind should I ever convince him to eat saturated fat & try dropping wheat!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Hey! I left my childhood faith too I grew up Protestant! And yes, I'm Antiochian -- that's why I chose the username that I did.

I can't quite go totally without wheat, but I try to only eat wheat at church. Of course the communion bread is wheat, and then there is the antidoran or prosfora -- the bread after communion, and sometimes Litya bread (the 5 loaves that are sprinkled with sweet wine and shared after a feast day service), and Koliva -- the boiled sweetened wheat shared at a memorial service. I figure these are all blessed, so I partake, but I go without wheat at home.

We have a lot of people in our parish with wheat sensitivities. Several are celiac, others may be undiagnosed celiac with intestinal problems, others (like me) have found that eliminating grains and sugar helps with weight loss. Those with severe problems let our priest know, and he gives them the smallest possible portion of communion. He says since communion is the body and blood of Christ it won't hurt them, and it doesn't seem to. Those with severe wheat problems avoid everything except the communion. As a parish, we are including more and more gluten-free offerings in our potlucks. The folks who need gluten-free food go first in line before cross contamination from the other foods has a chance to set in.

Here is an interesting article on wheat which you may want to share with your folks. The author isn't Orthodox, but she is Christian: Does the Bible Say We Should Eat Grains? - Wellness Mama I found it very thought-provoking.

The only grain I'm eating now is oatmeal, and that only if it has been soaked with a little raw vinegar, or lemon juice, or other acid or fermenting agent for 8 hours or overnight, which is supposed to help get rid of the anti-nutrients. I only eat oatmeal when I'm fasting. As I continue this thread, I hope to share how I do that and include some recipes using soaked oatmeal. I know that may amount to Primal heresy, but I figure that's the closest I can come to Primal under the circumstances.

Thanks for reading this thread and commenting! I hope to hear from you again!
    Last edited by Antiochia; 03-21-2013 at 06:58 PM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Tonight for supper we had The Easiest Thai Shrimp Curry Ever

First prepare your shrimp and veggies:
    I use 3 - 4 oz. raw shrimp per person. Thaw (you can thaw shrimp in hot water if you are going to cook it right away), and slice in half the long way so you make 2 long thin pieces of shrimp from each shrimp.
    Slice green and red bell peppers and onions into strips. I use about one to two cups cut up veggies per person.

Then start your sauce. In a saucepan put:
    1/2 cup whole coconut milk (not Lite) per person (if you are making this for a lot of people, you may want to use less per person)
    Stir in 1/8 teaspoon sea salt per 1/2 cup of coconut milk, and then add Thai Green Curry paste to taste (I like Thai Kitchen Green Curry Paste, 4-Ounce (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food Start with about a teaspoon per serving, taste, and add more if you like. Put the sauce pan over low heat.

In a small bowl (like a custard cup) mix some arrowroot powder and water (I start with 1 tablespoon arrowroot to 2 tablespoons water), and set aside.

Now, using a little coconut oil, start stir-frying the veggies. I like to start with the onions for a couple minutes and then add the peppers. When they are just about done, throw in the shrimp and continue to stir-fry until the shrimp have turned opaque and have curled up. Put the shrimp and veggies in a serving bowl and cover to stay warm.

Now attend to your saucepan that is on low, and turn up the heat, stirring constantly. (Also stir the arrowroot and water so it is ready to use.) Bring the sauce just to a boil. Now, little by little, stir the arrowroot solution into the simmering sauce until the sauce is as thick as you like -- you may not need to use all of the solution. Then pour the sauce into the cooked veggies and shrimp; stir to combine. That's it!

Serve the shrimp curry over cauliflower rice (see post #13). People may want to add some crushed red chilies if they like their curry spicier.

We had this with an avocado half sprinkled with lemon juice as a side, and sliced strawberries for dessert.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 03-22-2013 at 06:52 AM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast