Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Almost-Primal Orthodox Christian Lenten Eating and Cooking page 19

Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    For coffee drinkers --
    Get the benefits of coffee and tea at the same time -- steep a tea bag in a hot cup of coffee! (I prefer green tea.)

Actually it is kind of weird. I also added a teaspoon of dry unsweetened cocoa powder and a tablespoon of coconut oil and blended the mixture.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 03-28-2014 at 08:22 AM.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

This looks good:
    Healthy Berry Cobbler Dessert Recipe with Almond Flour

No grains, no eggs, and sweetener is optional!

I think I might pour my *cereal milk* over it. (See post #72, page 8)
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

My grandson had his birthday last week, and we were blessed to celebrate his birthday at our house. I invited friends over and served the following meal. The grandkids loved it because they could pick and choose what they put on their plates, and – more importantly to them – where to put the food on their plates (some foods must not touch other foods, you know)! We grown-ups enjoyed mixing the tastes and textures together! (For this party I ended up doubling most of the ingredients)

So, here is a great guest meal if you are having a celebration during Lent – especially if you have invited non-Orthodox friends. I got the idea from my friend's mother, who called this:

“ A JAVANESE MEAL”

To serve 4 to 6 people, you will need:
    *1 pound of shrimp, shelled
    If using frozen shrimp, thaw them. Shell the shrimp if necessary; if they still have the tails, pull them off. Put shrimp in the refrigerator until almost ready to serve.

Cook:
    *at least 1 cup rice (you may want to cook more) and keep warm -- if you have a rice cooker, that works great for this. Otherwise you can keep the rice warm in a covered dish in a very low oven (140 to 170 F)
    (Or make cauliflower rice – see post#13, page 2)

Next fill separate small bowls with any or all of the following (the veggies are NOT cooked):
    *chopped raw onion
    *chopped raw celery
    *chopped raw bell pepper (green and/or red)
    *pineapple tidbits, drained
    *mandarin oranges, drained
    *chopped fresh apple
    *chopped fresh tomato
    *sliced olives, (green/black/kalamata/whatever)
    *sliced or slivered almonds
    *roasted cashews or other nuts
    *raisins
    *dried cranberries or other dried fruits
    *a jar of pepperoncinis
    *dried shredded coconut
    *packaged quinoa chips (optional – use like chow mein noodles)

Have ready the following jars of spices:
    *ground ginger
    *red pepper flakes
    *curry powder
    *lemon pepper

And bottles of:
    *Soy sauce
    *Teriyaki Sauce
    *Hot Sauce

(Optional: If you want to add cooked broccoli to the meal, cut up some broccoli florets and have them ready to cook. Or use a package of frozen broccoli.)

Then make the two cooked sauces. (Note: These recipes are from my pre-primal days, and I have always used cornstarch. I think you could use arrowroot, but I didn’t want to change anything right when we were having guests coming.)

PEACH SWEET & SOUR SAUCE
    In a blender, combine:
    *1 15-oz. can peaches in juice
    *5 teaspoons cornstarch (or arrowroot powder?)
    *2 tablespoons honey
    *1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    *1 tablespoon soy sauce
    Blend until smooth. Pour into a saucepan. (Rinse out your bender right away.) Then cook the peach sauce - while stirring - until bubbly and thick. Turn off heat and cover while waiting for the rest of the meal. You don't have to worry about keeping it warm - it will stay warm enough - even if it's at room temperature, it's okay.

THAI GREEN CURRY SAUCE
    In the rinsed out blender combine
    *1 14-oz. can coconut milk (not lite)
    *4 teaspoons corn starch (or arrowroot powder?)
    *2 tablespoons (or more) Thai Green Curry Paste
    *1/2 teaspoon salt
    *1/4 teaspoon white pepper
    Blend until smooth. Pour into a saucepan and cook, stirring constantly over medium-high heat until boiling. Keep this sauce warm in the top of a double boiler while preparing the rest of the meal.

(Optional: Microwave or steam desired amount of broccoli florets and place in a covered bowl)

Now, stir-fry the shrimp in a nonstick pan with a little water or oil until just cooked. (Or if you are using cooked shrimp, just long enough to heat through.)

TO SERVE:
    Place hot shrimp and hot cooked rice (or cauliflower rice) with the dinner plates at the beginning of the buffet; next the broccoli (if using) and then chopped raw veggies, cooked sauces, jars of spices, and bottled sauces; then olives, fruits, nuts, pepperoncinis, and finally the shredded coconut (and optional quinoa chips). Put your flatware and napkins at the end of the buffet.

People start with a good scoop of rice (or cauliflower rice) on their plate, then they add the shrimp and whatever veggies they wish. They top the shrimp, rice, and veggies with either the peach sauce or the curry sauce. Then they add whatever else they want, any spices they want, and top with the shredded coconut (and optional quinoa chips.)

Note: My friend’s mother used to make this with creamed chicken or chicken & gravy. She would make the meat, sauce, and rice and assign guests to bring the rest of the ingredients. She had collected a set of pretty glass dishes to serve it all in.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Here's one of my favorite salad recipes - I made it for our Lenten pre-sanctified liturgy and potluck last night:

CAULIFLOWER SALAD

Veggies:
    6 cups sliced cauliflower
    3/4 cup chopped red onion
    3 carrots, sliced
    1 cup chopped fresh parsley

Dressing:
    3/4 cup mild flavored salad oil (I like high-oleic safflower oil)
    1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
    1/4 cup rice vinegar (plain – NOT seasoned)
    1 tablespoon sea salt
    2 teaspoons sugar (optional - or use equivalent stevia drops – maybe 8 drops?)
    1/4 teaspoon white pepper

Place veggies in a large salad bowl. Put dressing ingredients in a jar with a screw top lid and shake well. Pour over veggies and mix well. Chill before serving.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Neeleh is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for compiling this thread; it is an enjoyable read Am not a cook by any means but like to try new things from time to time, if easy enough!

Am ordering ingreds for your Thai green curry sauce, will try that in the blender as you suggest, seems easy enough! Many thanks and trust you are having an enriching Lent.
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Journal: Vibrant Life

Thank you! And a blessed Holy Week to you! Only a few more days and I'll be having roast lamb!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

ToddAndMargo is offline Senior Member
    Milkey Way, Sol, Earth, United States, Nevada
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiochia View Post
    And a blessed Holy Week to you! Only a few more days and I'll be having roast lamb!
    Hi Antiochia,

It is getting close!

Since being inducted into the Pin Cushion Club (T2 diabetes) and becoming Paleo, my tastes have changes so much. I use to love the smell of lamb cooking, now, well... I figure it is how I am cooking it. Had the same experience with chicken, but I figured it out and now have chicken back on the menu. What seasonings do you use for your Roast Lamb?

Glory be to God!
    -T

Will you be starting a new thread for Bright Week meals? Paleo with an Ancient Faith twist?

Hi Todd,
    A blessed Holy Week to you! We're having Holy Unction tonight -- I understand some churches do another presanctified liturgy.

Anyway - Actually, I don't cook lamb -- my husband doesn't like it. But at our church we have our Agape Vespers at 2:00 PM on Sunday and after Agape Vespers we have a HUGE potluck Pascha dinner. I'm grateful for that! It means I can participate in most of the Holy Week services and not worry about cooking a big celebratory meal at home. (At my daughter's church they don't do that, but her go-to Pascha meal is a slow cooked corned beef dinner, since she can't have that on St. Patrick's Day. It's a pretty easy meal for her to throw together.) People always bring lamb - either cooked roasted lamb that they can put in the warming oven, or lamb in a slow cooker. Occasionally we have young people energetic enough to roast a lamb on a spit over coals in back of the church. Nobody has volunteered to do that the past couple of years and it is a lot to ask. So that's how I get my roast lamb. However, when my husband goes out of town on business, I usually buy some lamb chops to cook up for myself. No special spices though - just salt and pepper.

As to another thread -- I kind of have another thread (check my signature below) but I don't update it very often -We don't really need a non-Lenten thread! I was intending to post weekly menu plans, including the Lenten Wednesdays and Fridays, but it got a little much. Sometimes I post good primal recipes there that I want to be able to find again.

May the rest of the week be awesome as we prepare ourselves to celebrate the resurrection of our Lord!
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

ToddAndMargo is offline Senior Member
    Milkey Way, Sol, Earth, United States, Nevada
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiochia View Post
    Hi Todd,
    We don't really need a non-Lenten thread!

May the rest of the week be awesome as we prepare ourselves to celebrate the resurrection of our Lord!
    Hi Antiochia,

We are on Great and Holy Saturday now. We are really close.

Rats on the Lamp seasoning. Bright week is my favorite week of the year, next to Christmas. The "Plan A" for Pascha is Steak, Asparagus, Shallot and Mushroom cream sauce, and video with the love of my life (39+ years now).

Ya, I know we really don't need a special thread. I was thinking that we have such a mix of cultures in our community that there would be some interesting twists on the recipes.

Your pot luck after services sounds wonderful. By, chance is your church a "Greek" church? The angles taught the Greeks to cook!

As I can not do the food part of the fast, when lent ends and the non-food part (discipline) of the fast ends as well (watching my mouth, being kind and thoughtful of others, etc.), the question arises, are I not suppose to do these things all year long? This redemption thing is a on going process for sure!

Glory be to God,
    -T

Have a friends where the wife hates lamb. Problem, her husband is from Scotland, where that is basically all they eat (drives her crazy when she visits). I was thinking maybe she had a really great recipe since she hated it. She told me she cooks it till it is gray and then smothers it with ketchup. YUK, which is what she said. :-)

Did try buffalo, loved it. But at $18.00/lb for ground, it will be a yearly treat.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819