Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Almost-Primal Orthodox Christian Lenten Eating and Cooking page 17

Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Here is a link with guidelines for the Nativity (or Advent) Fast from the Antiochian Archdiocese. Different jurisdictions may handle this fast differently. Here is how we do it (and in the United States, we break the fast to celebrate Thanksgiving):
    Guidelines for the Nativity Fast | Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Blessed Advent Fast! The Advent Fast begins today, Nov. 15. For Old Calendar Orthodox Christians, the Fast will begin 13 days later on Old Calendar November 15th (which is Nov 28 on our calendar). Here's a recipe to kick off the Fast:

HUMMUS

3 cups properly soaked and cooked Garbanzo Beans (see post #35, page 4)
    1/4 cup Tahini paste
    3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1/4 cup water
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon cumin (or more to taste)
    2 tablespoons olive oil (or high oleic sunflower oil)
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Combine the garbanzos, tahini, lemon juice, water, salt, garlic powder, and cumin in a food processor and process until smooth. Then slowly add the oil with the machine running. When the oil is incorporated, pulse in the chopped parsley if using.

Serve as a dip for raw veggies.

OR make:

HUMMUS SOUP - Mix equal amounts of hummus and water and heat on the stove or in the microwave.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Tim50 is offline Junior Member
    Ah!! I made this last night! It was a hit!!

Thanks be to God for good Lenten recipes! lol

Here's one my wife found:

Savory Stuffed Acorn Squash

NGREDIENTS

1/2 cup brown rice, uncooked (I plan on making this next week, and will use cauliflower rice)
    2 acorn squash
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/4 red onion, finely chopped
    3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 small zucchini, small chop
    2 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
    5 cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
    2 cups baby spinach, loosely packed
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1/4 cup nutritional yeast (I dunno about this one....)
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt
    Dash of freshly ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS

Cook the brown rice according to directions (Note: approximate cooking time for 2 cups is 45-60 minutes).

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Gently scrub skins of the squash and cut off any long stems. Slice the acorn squash in ˝, from end to end, and scoop out seeds and loose membranes.

To prepare the stuffing, sauté the red onion in olive oil for 2 minutes over medium heat or until onion begins to soften. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute until it just begins to turn a very light golden brown. Add the zucchini, tomatoes, and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the spinach, paprika, cumin, yeast, salt, and pepper.

Stir and let simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the cooked rice and remove from heat.

Turn the squash cut-side up and scoop stuffing mixture into each squash ˝, packing it well and mounding the mixture high. Wrap each squash ˝ in aluminum foil and place on a cookie sheet.

Bake for 1 hour until the squash is thoroughly tender and easy to pierce with a fork.

Sounds good.....may need a tweak or two.

Tim50 is offline Junior Member
    (I meant I made the Shrimp and Spinach Curry last night.)

Thanks Tim! With Thanksgiving coming up, and us hosting guests, I haven't been online much. Yesterday I was doing my Thanksgiving grocery shopping, and as I walked by the acorn squash I wished I had a good primal lenten recipe for stuffed acorn squash. I finally logged on this morning, and you've got one for me! I don't think there is any thing wrong with nutritional yeast -- it adds a nice savory/cheesy flavor. Glad you liked the Shrimp and Spinach Curry!

Just thought I'd share a quick breakfast idea, that seemed to hold me until lunch:

Bulletproof coffee with coconut oil (see post # 96, pg. 10)
    One apple sliced, with a scoop of almond butter to dip the slices in.
    That's it!
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

A blessed New Year to all of you! Sorry I didn't post much during Advent, but with the extra services, the preparations for Christmas and traveling to see my grandchildren, I wasn't online very much. Eventually my goal is to post my weekly menus during a Lenten period although my husband has a blessing from our priest not to fast as strictly because of his health, so perhaps my menus wouldn't be as great an example of Lenten-Primal as I hoped they would be.

I have discovered a new Lenten Breakfast food: CHIA GOODNESS
    Ruth's Foods | Earthly Choice | Your Values... Your Food!

It may be border-line primal because it is mostly seeds, but it isn't grain. The original flavor, which isn't bad and I find quite filling, consists of: chia seed, buckwheat, hemp seeds, and sea salt. The other flavors (Apple-Almond-Cinnamon, Chocolate, and Cranberry-Ginger) have additions to those ingredients.

You can mix it with either hot (or warm) liquid, or cold liquid. (I just mix it with hot water but you can use other liquid.) If you mix it with hot liquid you have a hot cereal, if you mix it with cold you have a breakfast pudding. You can mix it with the liquid in the evening and after it has thickened you can refrigerate it for a ready-to-go breakfast in the morning.

I think this product is going to be one of my Lenten favorites!
    Last edited by Antiochia; 01-16-2014 at 05:53 AM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

JTW
    JTW is offline Junior Member
    Hi everyone, I am SO excited to see this thread because I'm brand new to primal and am an Orthodox Christian and the Great Fast is right around the corner. I haven't officially started panicking yet about the upcoming Fast but the dread is starting.

The idea of keeping the Fast and trying to eat primal/paleo seems almost impossible. My DH is allergic to nuts which makes things really difficult even without trying to eat primal.

Jenny

Hi Jenny,
    Well, we can't really keep Paleo/Primal, but we can keep ALMOST Paleo/Primal, hence the name of this thread. Not being able to eat nuts is tough. Is coconut okay? I tend to use coconut milk and almond milk in recipes. I'm sure you could substitute rice milk or whatever your favorite milk substitute is for the almond milk. Coconut milk is more like cream. We also eat properly soaked and cooked beans several times a week during a fast (see Post #35, pg. 4). I don't think occasional beans are a problem. (We also eat lots of seafood, as you can see from these recipes.) I hope this thread can be helpful to you. Feel free to post any recipes that you use that fits the requirements and let me know if you are looking for anything in particular.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 01-16-2014 at 05:52 AM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Here's another Brownie recipe that I found here: Gluten Free Brownie I haven't tried it yet. Here is the recipe -- it looks interesting:

GLUTEN-FREE BROWNIES

Ingredients:

1/2 c pureed beets
    2/3 c cocoa powder
    1/3 c coconut oil
    1/3 c raw honey
    1/3 c raw sugar
    1/2 c pecans (ground into a fine meal)
    2 tbs ground flaxseed
    1/4 tsp baking soda

Warm coconut oil and raw honey on low heat. When it is melted, remove from heat. Stir in cocoa powder and raw sugar. Add pureed beets, ground pecans, ground flaxseed and baking soda. Stir until smooth.

Spray an 8 x 8 baking dish. Pour into dish and spread. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

To make your brownies even healthier try using raw pecans. First soak the pecans for 4-6 hours. Then completely dehydrate the pecans in a dehydrator or at the lowest heat in your oven.

Recipe creator says:"If you have never tried a chocolate beet recipe you are in for a surprise at how great it tastes."
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

ToddAndMargo is offline Member
    Milkey Way, Sol, Earth, United States, Nevada
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    First of all, of course, pregnant and nursing mothers are not supposed to fast. Also if you are sick you don't need to fast. Fasting is to weaken us and make us more dependent and focused on God. If you are sick you are already dependent on God. If you get sick during Lent, lighten the fast!!!

Hi Everyone,

I am Ancient Faith too. I love to see that there is more of us here.

Unfortunately, I am also a drug free (that includes insulin) T2 Diabetic and am struggling to stay there. My carb count is very low: I come in between 30 and 60 carbs per day. I am pretty much left with nothing to eat if I follow the fast. But, I guess I am under the "sick" rule, even if I am not sick on my current regimen. Though if I go off it, I could lose a limb or two ... And fasting, probably the Diabetes, makes me C-R-A-B-B-Y. Not good for those around me. Your recipes look so nice, but, unfortunately quite toxic to me. Sniffle!

One of the things I found when I starting eating low carb/Paleo for the Diabetes was that my taste changed. I loved Lamb as a kid. Now I can't even stand the smell of it. Same with shrimp. Mussels and Oysters make me nearly hurl. I am okay with clams.

So my way of dealing with the issue is to remember to target/goal of fasting, which is laid out by our Lord in Matthew 25. Since I can not do the food fasting, I try to keep the non-food parts of the fast, as laid out by Saint John Crysostom:

"Therefore, whoever limits the fast to the deprivation of food, he is the one who, in reality, abhors and ridicules the fast. Are you fasting? Show me your fast with your works. Which works? If you see someone who is poor, show him mercy. If you see an enemy, reconcile with him. If you see a friend who is becoming successful, do not be jealous of him!

In other words, not only should the mouth fast, but the eyes and the legs and the arms and all the other parts of the body should fast as well. Let the hands fast, remaining clean from stealing and greediness. Let the legs fast, avoiding roads which lead to sinful sights. Let the eyes fast by not fixing themselves on beautiful faces and by not observing the beauty of others. You are not eating meat, are you? You should not eat debauchery with your eyes as well. Let your hearing also fast. The fast of hearing is not to accept bad talk against others and sly defamations. "

Saint John goes on for several paragraphs about this. He holds us to high standards and expect results from the fast. Here is the whole letter from Saint John:
    St. John Chrysostom -- On Fasting

Which bring up the obvious question, why aren't I doing this all year long and have to wait for the fast? I tell myself it is a reminder to get with the program. A push to keep me on track.

I guess I am writing this as an explanation as to why I am eating meat during the fast.

I hope I have not made any of our non-christian friends uncomfortable.

Glory be to God!
    -T
    Last edited by ToddAndMargo; 01-27-2014 at 03:38 PM.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast